Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Soundheads

Author Topic: Soundheads
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2000 10:34 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone.

What I was wondering, are soundheads matched up with a certain projection head or that it doesn't matter? Or does it matter with what amp you use?

Thanks for any reply.

Reg

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2000 11:06 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most projector and soundhead manufacturers make drive kit/mounting plate adapters to allow you to mix and match different make/model projector and soundhead combinations depending on your liking/needs/budget.
As an example, you could put a Simplex 35 projector on an old RCA 9030 soundhead.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 05:13 AM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ken how about a powers 6b? or a motiogragh (for the spelling bee people)on a western electric base?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2000 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all the parts in stock to mount a Motiograph Model K on a Western Electric U base. If anyone needs these(for real)let me know...
I wonder if Bill Purdy is working out the basement reader for this thing??
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2000 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually almost all modern projector/soundhead combinations can be worked out if need be. Wolk and Strong still make many different drive kits for this purpose. You can even mount an XL on a Century sound reproducer if need be, and there was even a kit to mount an XL on a Century R-2. The biggest problem here is with European machines although Kalee made kits to mount the model 21 on RCA and Simplex sound heads.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-03-2000 08:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with most american machines the europeanscould in many cases swap soundheads as they sat behind the projector head
I have seen Ernaman 8's with a phillips soundhead and reverse

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 10:58 PM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having a sound head/enclosed base problem. I have an RCA 1040. I found an RCA base but was surprised to find out it didn't fit. The 1040 uses a 1 7/8" spacing for the mounting bolts and the base uses 2 1/2" (or thereabouts. We drilled new holes and jerry-rigged the thing to work, but the purist in me would like to know if there are any 1 7/8" mounting plates that bolt onto the RCA base.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 11:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA 1040 and 1050 had different mounting bolt patterns than the 9030 and 9050 soundheads. In some of the older projector and soundhead manuals, the manufacturers usually listed adapter plates or mounting casting part numbers for using certain makes/models of soundheads on certain pedestals.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 11:57 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA enclosed pedistal was available with
one piece mounting brackets for the RCA 9000
series (Large bolts, wide spaced) and the earlier RCA 1000 series (small bolts, closer spaced) This bracket would also fit simplex,
and century soundheads. The 9000 bracket was exclusive in that only the newest RCA soundheads, and Toshiba-Photophone, and Photophone India and other 9030/9050 export types would fit. (This was also the most common) There was also a mounting bracket for the Western-Electric type pattern, (Also fits
Motiogrief) Thesae are hard to find. I have
at least one bracket for the 1040/1050 & 9005 soundheads in stock.These brackets also
fit the 'heavy duty' RCA pedistal (aka B.F.
Shearer Co.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: