Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra*Stereo/DTS problem

Author Topic: Ultra*Stereo/DTS problem
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-02-2000 02:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a sixplex I service we are having a problem with the combo of UltraStereo JSX1000 and DTS 6d
all the screens have JSX1000 and the same automation but the 2 screens with DTS all are haveing format board failures with intermitent loss of channels and then finally not switching at all. Each theatre has gone through several format boards
Also bothe DTS6d's only function with the disks in drives A and C respecivly not A/B
Both units have been back to DTS several times and the SCSI ID's are correct with the current firmware
Any one else experience similar problems or have a possible solution

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2000 07:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had problems with many format cards in the Ultra. They are crap. Also, when hooked up to a DTS-6D make sure that you have the right discs loaded each and every time, otherwise the Ultra will go into DIGITAL at the start of the feature. The DTS unit will realize that the wrong discs are loaded and tell the processor to go back to SR. But the Ultra is too slow to respond, and it will stay in DIGITAL and the audience will hear silence.

I have never had problems with intermittent loss of channels. Sometimes it does indeed take a little bit of coaxing to get the Ultras to switch to digital and back to SR.

As for the DTS units not being able to use drive B -- Have you tried replacing the drive? Can trailer discs be played from the drive? If you still can't get it to work, see if DTS can replace the entire unit for you, as there would be more than meets the eye. I don't think it could have anything to do with the Ultra's, though. But who knows?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2000 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, The DTS...Ultra Stereo Headache department is here, thats for sure. All the audio runs through the format card in all the JS series processors. The format switching has always been iffy, especially when keyed from a remote automation unit. Using shielded woring helps this to some degree, but not always. These cards have been THE single most troublesome part of any Ultra processor. I got many brand new processors that had non functioning cards until they seemed to get it under control in the early 90's. The secone most troublesome part is the power back up switch. These fail even though they usually never get used. I always bypass them, even in brand new units.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-03-2000 09:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both players in question have been returned several times to DTS and come back and do the same drive assignment thing?
Also the automation connection is via the PCB and cable that DTS provides

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-22-2000 05:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon:

Did you ever learn anything about this problem (since the original post)? I have the exact same problem in one of my theatres. It's the only JSX 1000 I have in my territory, and it's hooked to a DTS player.

I just had a new format card sent to the theatre and it failed within 2 weeks! The surround channel (mono surrs) becomes intermittent. I know the signal is there from the DTS, I've verified that with a jumper. It's getting lost in that stinkin' format card!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-23-2000 08:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS says it isn't there problem and Ultra denies it as theres so we came uip with this solution
They are probably going to move the ultras to a theatre that is just analogue and move the Mod5 there to this theatre as they haven't had a problem
Disk drives also are becoming a problem

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-23-2000 04:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I fail to believe this is DTS's fault, as their players run just fine on any other processor. Ultra should stand up and confess their problem before they start losing business over it. Then again, I'm a Dolby man, so it's not a problem for me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-23-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the advent of the new DSP Ultra Processor the old JS models will be phased out soon. So we can all say good by to those awful lormat cards.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-24-2000 05:11 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, do the format cards fail frequently in this model anyway, regardless of whether it's hooked to a DTS or not?

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-06-2000 08:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are a bit to sensitive to static
also the bypass switch on the format board appears to switch the actuall audio on some of the channels. It seems to get an oxide on it so with the power off I usually switch it in and out fairly rapidly to clean it several dozen times
Also the output thump suppressing relays on the eq boards fail to causing channel loss

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-08-2000 05:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good tip there, Gordon, I'll try that.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 06:53 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I accidently left my message on another thread. Please see "RE: Ultra*Stereo/DTS problem".

Thanks, Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: