Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Staffing requirments (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Staffing requirments
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-02-2000 01:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any locations still have regulations in effect to the number of staff that must be present compared to capacity and if they have to be present in the auditoriums?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2000 02:34 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Staffing requirments as set by our District Office (possibly by someonehigher up than them, I don't know).

We can have 1 concession person per 70 customers. This is watched by the District Office like a hawk and if we're even a little over the correct ratio we hear about it.

Maxinum staffing allowed:
Monday thru Friday Afternoons (per shift):
1 concession
1 usher/projectionist
1 box
1 manager
Sunday thru Thursday nights (per shif):
2 concession
1 usher/projectionist
1 box
1 manager
Fri night thru Sunday Afternnon (per shift):
2 box
6 concessions
1 ticket taker
2 usher/projectionists
1 assistant manager in addition to head manager

Keep in mind this is for a 12 plex. This Saturday night we did 550 people for the seven o'clocks. By the 70 to 1 ratio of customers to concessions we should have been able to have 7 concession workers but were only allowed 6. Not to bad, but I remember having 700 people and only 6 concession to cover it.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2000 09:11 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have run our place with as little as 2. The box girl got sick,the asst. manager sold tix,I threaded up and started the show between slinging popcorn and cokes.

Oh,yes,I did wash my hands before threading up. No tops-it on the prints please!

BTW,we're a single screen!

--Chris

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-02-2000 09:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris - you're bringing back bad memories! I actually managed to run one night (two shows) at a single with just one employee (me) due to an odd set of circumstances involving a management screwup.

Sometimes, on "slow" nights, management would only schedule two employees--one projectionist and one ticket-seller/concession person. Yes, this was stupid and resulted in long lines and many lost concession sales.

Anyway, that night (a Thursday) with shows at 7:00pm and 9:00pm went something like this: 6:00pm - arrive at theatre; 6:05pm - turn on lights, sound system; thread up movie; 6:15pm - start inspecting the first of two features opening the next day; 6:30pm - start wondering where the hell the concession/ticket person is; 6:35pm - count out cash drawer and start making popcorn to help out concession person (including figuring out how popcorn and butter machine work); 6:45pm - call manager at home and leave message on answering machine; 6:46pm - first customers arrive...I start selling popcorn and tix; 7:05pm - start movie, go back down to conc. stand and hope that all goes well
8:00pm - changeover, rewind, thread up first reel; 8:50pm - start selling tix and explain that 9:00pm show will start late; 9:15pm - start second show; 11:30pm - lock doors, break down movie, inspect and make up next week's films, sweep and mop auditorium floor, fill out boxoffice reports, deposit cash, fill out Highway Films shipping paperwork, turn off lights; 2:00am - go home.

Next day - threaten to quit if this sort of screw-up ever happens again.

Amazingly, both shows went perfectly (except for the late starting times) and I sold nearly 200 tix that night and not a bad per-cap with concessions, either. Luckly, a couple of friends of mine were in the audience for the second show and could explain to the customers that I had to leave for a minute to stop the film and bring up the house lights after the end of the first show. Argh...that was an awful experience...NEVER AGAIN!

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2000 10:38 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You bet your booth they do! Even more so now than in years past given the financial situation of most theatre chains right now. Staff payroll is one of the biggest overheads (together with film rental) any theatre faces. There are all kinds of numbers to hit regarding staffing/attendance and upper management tends to get a little pissed (at theatre management) when the numbers aren't where they should be. After all, this is show business and the goal of any business is, of course, to make money. Listen to me! I'm a little AMC poster boy now! Crikey!

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 01:03 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On weekends we usually have:
15-20 Concessionists (sometimes more depending what's opening)
4-6 box office (we also do MoviePhone ticket sales)
2-4 Ticket rippers
8-12 Cleaners (sometimes pulled from Consessions)
2 Coordinators (basically shift managers)
2-3 Managers (except mondays & tuesdays when they run the booth)
2 Police officers
and ONE Projectionist.

...and THEY say there's no one who can help me move prints!!! Geez. >

Weekdays:
6-10 concessionists
2-4 box
1 ticket ripper
4-6 cleaners
1 coordinator
2 managers
One projectionist

These are usually our limits from what I've observed. But management is quick to cut people if business is slow.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2000 02:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I feel for you. I used to manage an 8 plex where we had NO ONE who could open the theater with the manager. It was the manager...and that was it!

The routine:

• Set up the concession stand.
  • Come in, power and thread everything up.
  • Do the "safety checks" in the auditoriums and such as required by the company.
  • Get the money out of the safe and get ready to open downstairs.
  • 1 minute before opening the doors, set the timers on the projectors. (Note: we only had 30 minute timers for a 60 minute rush.)
  • Open the doors and begin selling tickets, explaining to the customers that I would be at the concession stand in just a moment.
  • Run to the concession stand after selling a few tickets when the customers looked like they wouldn't wait around any longer (angering the people outside who wanted to buy tickets).
  • Serve concessions.
  • Run back to box office.

This would continue back and forth until...

• Customer complained the movie was out of focus (we had this one really old Strong turret that was a p.o.s.!)
  • Lock the box office and put sign up notifying to please wait 2 minutes.
  • Stick the concession drawer in the freezer (Hey, it locked! Talk about your "cold hard cash".)
  • Run like hell upstairs and focus that p.o.s. turret on #1 the company wouldn't put forth the money to replace or repair. (Fortunately the other 7 were the TU-2000 turrets which were fine.)
  • Run back downstairs to greet the very angry patrons because there was no one there to serve them for the last 30 seconds.

30 minutes later

• Try and find a "reasonably" slow time to stop selling tickets and concessions.
  • Lock the box office.
  • Put the concession cash drawer in the freezer.
  • Run like hell to set the rest of the timers.
  • Run like hell back downstairs...more angry customers.

And the process would repeat until halfway through the second rush when the ONE daytime employee would get out of school early to come help.

That's no way to run a theater. All the company had to do was pay more for daytime help. They would've made it back easily with the lost concession sales and the people who walked through without purchasing a ticket.

(Thank God I had platters!!!)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-03-2000 03:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to run a 6 plex with only 1 other person on several occasions for the entire day/evening. The staff member was put behind the concession stand, of course. I would thread all of the movies before we opened, but we didn't have any timers (they were there but they weren't reliable at all). I would sell tickets and then wait, run upstairs and start the flick at the appropriate time. Of course, at the end of the movie some couple would come out and say it was slightly out of focus and wanted a refund or pass. Denied. If the focus is good enough that they sat through the ENTIRE MOVIE without once complaining and considering the circumstances that I was working under, I was not about to reward them. I checked the start of the next show and the focus looked decent, considering the theatre I was at.

Why don't people complain and whine when they get poor customer service anywhere else? They really seem to get angry at movie theatres. Perhaps it's because the industry has a (very bad) habit of trying to solve everybody's problems with passes. Shame.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-03-2000 07:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad- you MUST be superhuman or something... I can't imagine running an 8-plex by myself. That one night at the single was bad enough.

I suppose that an owner/operator could do this sort of thing occasionally (tho probably not sustainably), but I thought that it was pretty unfair to inflict this sort of thing onto a $7/hour part-time college kid.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work for a chain that reminds me of Brad's story. They had eight and ten screen complexes but there were no timers on any of the projectors at any of their theaters, so we had to have one other person on the floor when the doors were unlocked. To cut down on staffing, they had wires pulled to the concession stand so that we could move one ticket terminal and printer from the box office after the weekend. The staff member would sell the ticket and then ask the customer if they would like refreshments, always keeping the line at the ticket terminal. You always had that person that said they didn't want anything and then would come back out and expect the staffer to ignore the system and wait on them.

I had one employee who loved to work those weekday afternoon shifts. All on her own, she would empty bulk candy bins and wash them out on a rotating schedule (we had 70 bins) between serving customers.

It's funny, we would be told to keep minimum staffing, but then the home office would call looking for some paper work that they lost and expect you to drop everything to fax them copies. I always proposed that all of the home office staff should work at a theater for one week every year just to keep them in touch with reality. LOL

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 10:17 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andrew, how big is your theatre? That's quite a staff .

I have no problems with only one PROJECTIONIST being scheduled. Its when that projectionist is also usher/ticket seller/ripper/concession person that problems begin.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2000 04:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, it had been so long ago that I had completely forgot about the calls from the corporate office wanting to check some numbers when I was the only person in the building. They were more rude than the patrons when I told them I would be happy to if they could call after 2:00...you'd think they would understand!

Scott, no I'm not superhuman, but that would've helped. Remember "Clerks"? That one line comes to mind where Dante and girlfriend are under the counter "if people don't see an employee, they assume they're being watched." That's probably what saved me for the most part.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 04:53 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh the good 'ol days huh Brad? Wasn't #1 also the same auditorium that had the automation that didn't work right? I remember the turret was always causing you grief, but it seems the automation did on one of those mono houses did too.
That's one thing I WOULD give Atchley, he always tried to make sure we were staffed pretty well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2000 05:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I had robbed parts from the #1 automation to keep all of the others working properly. All I needed was a few parts, but we all know how the corporate empire works with actually spending money toward anything other than their own payroll checks.

Your buddy certainly did staff well, but wow can we say "worst presentation in town"! I've never ran across another theater that had so many film breaks it was required to keep a splicer beside every projector. Funny, I remember that day when they were running Hoffa in 70mm when they made it through all 4 shows in one day without a film break. They all went out and celebrated! (I still maintain that's why he had such a large amount of staff...to be able to control the crowds when the film broke.) If only he would've taken a few extra minutes to TRAIN the staff on how to thread properly. That place was a nightmare of projection until you got there.

Wait, what am I saying? He couldn't thread properly himself! If those loops weren't crammed up against the back walls of the projector, they just weren't big enough for him!!! I remember his soundhead philosophy was something like "the tighter the better" too. Geesch.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2000 07:57 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah he certianly was an odd ball... He was a FIRM beliver in the 2 finger rule. I also never like the way he had us threading, running the leader on the floor, and egads! Shoe Polish! you'd think he owned stock on those companies that manufactured the stuff.
I don't remember anyone celebrating after a succesfull day of Hoffa, but I do remember we had quite a bit of problems even with Bill "gag" there watching everything. Not only were there breaks, but the CP-200 basically died as well, thats why the replaced it with the CP-65 that's there now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: