Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Single Screen Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Single Screen Theatre
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2000 11:00 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright everyone I wanted to get some opinions on something that I was approached about today. Okay here is the scenario:

This guy that is apparently extremely rich wants to start a single screen theatre in a rather small town, but I do believe it has the potential to make a lot of money so I am completely willing to help him out on this. He wants to buy bran new equipment for the projection booth. What projector, platters, amps, speakers, automation, and the other related booth equipment would you suggest that this guy buy? If this does happen my self and one other person will be installing everything. I want to know what equipment would be the easiest for him to use. What equipment would be the most reliable? All of my experience comes from Strong projectors and Platters, and several different automations and sound equipment. Also what would you charge for something like this? This project will include everything from building the screen frame to pulling all of the wires. Thanks in advance for your comments.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2000 01:25 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this guy is in a small town in Alaska where a chain will never build.

A friend of mine has run a one-screen cinema for a dozen years, and I am sure he will chime in.

Make sure that you will never have competition; it makes life much easier. I wouldn't build less than a 3-screen. If it were a tiny town, (up to 1,500) I would build one 200-seat house, then a 100-seat house and finally a 50-seat house. If the population were greater than 1,000 I would add a few more seats.

As for equipment, I would find out what was used and good. I'd like to have an all Kinotone booth. www.blsi.com/kinoton I would also like to drive a Porsche and date Cindy Crawford. We have a both full of Strong/Simplex equipment and I drive a Dodge. Sometimes you work with what you got.

I think a three-screen theatre would be real manageable and not much more work than a single screen. If you build carefully it could also be as charming as a single screen theatre.

Good luck!

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2000 01:34 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian:

Yes the town I am talking about will never have competition by ANY major chain. They also currently do not have any form of theatre or recreactional outlet. I am not sure as to the size of the town. I do know that it is extremely small though.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-31-2000 02:24 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please, please try and talk this guy into building at least a three screener. It makes much better business sense and gives versatility of programming.

Anything under three screens is a bad choice if you're starting from ground up and have the option... IMHO.
-----------------------------------------
"Yes, it is humble, isn't it?" Daffy Duck

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-31-2000 04:48 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could use the old three screen dome plan that Century used to use. The building is a large circle with three theaters, one of which is a 300 seater and the other two are 150 seaters. They also were the first stadium seating for theaters as well. It was a pretty good design as far as utilizing space goes.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-31-2000 04:51 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition however, you want to stay FAR AWAY from SDDS sound. Go with DTS, as this is usually the best mix of sound of all the digital formats. The reason is that the sound engineers almost always mix to DTS then they will remix from that to SDDS or Dolby Digital. As far as equipment and seats go, we here have enough equipment in storage for about 30 booths, but not sure what it all is just yet, havent been out to the wharehouse yet.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-31-2000 07:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three-screen? Never! Sure, it would be pretty gutsy to build a _new_ single-screen house now, but I'm not about to discourage anyone who wants to do this sort of thing. I like single-screen houses, myself...they're lots of fun to work in, too.

It would be easier to answer the original question if you gave some sort of idea of what the budget is. If "sky's the limit" is really the answer, then why not go with three Kinoton machines--a 16/35 and a pair of 35/70s? And maybe a Kinoton or Christie platter for longer runs? And a THX-approved auditorium, leather-covered seats, DTS/SRD/SDDS/4-track mag/6-track mag/A/SR sound, and a big crystal chandelier? <grin> OK, I'm dreaming here...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-31-2000 08:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to work at Scott's theater!

Seriously, though, a triple-screener makes a lot of sense. I mean, if the town is fairly small, I would think a theater owner would want to offer a varity of films to "capture" as many people as possiable. With 3 screens, you could (for example) do a retrospective thing in one house, while still running the mainstream stuff in the others.

I wouldn't be surprised if alot of people up there had satllite dishes. 3 screens might be enough to offer "something" to most everybody.

Also, I noticed several times where a rich person spends a lot of money on a unique thing (restaurant, store, etc.) but if it doesn't fly on it's own, they loose interest and close it - even if they have the money to keep it open.

While looking at cool booth equipment is fun, it's all for nothing if the place closes in a year or two.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2000 01:52 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to make one exception to my call for a three-screen theatre. If the town is real small, say 500 people, then a single sceen makes more sence.

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2000 02:57 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to the single-screen business descision is LIVE PERFORMANCES!

Our theater occasionally hosts the live play or music concert, a few per month. These performances seem to really help the budget by far! They also are a great way to get PR for the theater for folks that aren't really movie-goers who see live stuff, and movie-goers who rarely see live stuff. Frequently people will go to see both just because they are being held in the same house.

Be sure to include in your plans a real stage, theater-grade lighting, like catwalks, programmable dimmers, dressing rooms, and other such live show-friendly equipment. If your town is like you describe, your theater can be a great hub for any kind of entertainment!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2000 04:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must be writing in from Nome,Alaska!
Here is the key answering your question.........
Find out how big your county is first. Then find out how many other screens are in the county. Base your decision on the population/screen count only. If you are going to be the only theater in the county and there is 20,000 people then go for at least 3 screens. If there are other screens in the county then think smaller, but perhaps build a theater with a big screen and sound system. Give em a reason to come see a film at your place.
I once did a 4 plex in a town of 4500, but the county had nearly 40,000. That plex is now 6 screens and does a killer buisness.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-31-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use the ernaman 15 projector with kinotone platters

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2000 07:22 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One should ask if you plan on being first run? If so, one picture could lock up the screen for 3 to 4 weeks which is deadly in a small town. 3 screens to 5 screens a minimum if your goal is to have a great theatre, have first run, and pay the bills. Who said the quickest way to be a millionaire was to build a theatre and of course start with a billion dollars. !!!!
lance

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-31-2000 07:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To start off with, a pair of FP-38E-R projectors (presuming a single) so the 16mm film capability will be there for special events. for the additional screens (I agree with the others on 3-screens), FP-30E-R projectors (2-per screen). Platters would be wholey unnecessary in this situation. The booth(s) can be fully automated, if desired, or needed.

Forgetting the heavily opinionated feelings around here, any of the three (or all for that matter) of digital systems are good choices. I would say that for the analog system, stick with quality SR and that means genuine Dolby Cat. 280, 300, 350...it does make a difference. This leaves you with the choice of Dolby CP-65, CP-500D/300 and Panastereo.

Speakers and amps and such will depend on the actual theatre dimensions and such.

This is a start.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
3 platters vs. 3 extra projectors, soundheads, lamphouses and pedestals does not add up in $$$.

Go with platters and forget the second projector unless you plan on doing a lot of "one performance only" type of shows (festivals and such). Spend that money on digital or something that will matter to the customers. They don't give a flip as to how the film is ran.

And by all means, nothing less than a 3 screen! I'd go 5 if you can swing it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: