Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lyric Theatre Web Tour (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lyric Theatre Web Tour
Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 10:12 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a new section to the Lyric Theatre's web site. It is an online web tour that will guide you through the theater with before and after pictures of the Lyric during it's renovations. There is also an important stop at the projection booth. You can check it out at the link below:
http://www.thelyric.com/webtour/start.php3

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2000 12:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin- Very good job on the site. Nice booth too!!
Mark

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 12:28 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I can't take credit for the rest of the theater, but the booth remodel was done by yours truely.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2000 12:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent and very thorough tour. Theater looks great!

(Where's the detailed booth pics for us? )

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 12:39 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I have a bunch of leftover shots of the booth that I didn't use. If I have time this weekend I'll zip them up and send them off to you.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA www.thelyric.com

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 01:19 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, i guess i have to visit the Lyric during my trip to the US this fall

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin - Great site and great looking projection booth!

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 06:58 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great work Colin. I haven't been to Blacksburg in a long time, but the next time I get there, I'll have to check out your Lyric. It looks a lot different from the old Lyric we had in Lexington. It's now been converted into several condo's for those who like to live downtown.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-29-2000 07:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Thanks, I can't take credit for the rest of the theater, but the booth remodel was done by yours truely.
------------------
Colin Wiseley"<<

A couple of addendums...

The speakers listed as "A-4" are actually Altec A-5/MR-94B.

The projector repair done in "Maryland" was by Cardinal Sound & Motion Picture Systems, Inc. (yes located in Maryland).

The Platter, Speakers, Soundhead (with Component Engineering ASR-30SH reader), Ultra-80 lamphouse and High-reactance power supply, Dolby CP-65 soundrack with QSC amps...etc. were also specified, supplied and installed by Cardinal Sound & Motion Picture Systems.

Nice job on the site, by the way. The theatre does look just wonderful and worth visiting by anybody near the Blacksburg area.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I didn't give the impression that I installed all of the new equipment I only meant the remodel of the booth as in new paint and fixing all of the holes in the walls from the tons of old equipment I took down. Sorry about that. I tried to avoid listing the names of any companies that helped us out because there were so many and I didn't want to forget anyone which would make that one forgotten company even more upset. Cardinal Sound did a great job installing everything and it sounds and works great!

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-29-2000 07:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat theatre, nice web site. I wish I'd had the chance to visit when I was at school in Virginia.

I'm pretty jealous of that Eastman 25...we had a lousy MARC-300 Pageant at the Williamsburg Theatre where I worked (also in Virginia...see Brad's picture warehouse).

They sure did a nice job on the theatre renovation, too, judging from the pictures.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 08:09 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Norwood:
Neat theatre, nice web site. I wish I'd had the chance to visit when I was at school in Virginia.

Unless you were in school in '98 or '99 you wouldn't have wanted to visit the theater before the renovations. It was in much worse condition then I was able to capture in the pictures. At the time I had a really crappy digital camera and the resolution was terrible.

The Eastman 25 is probably the best 16mm I've ever worked with including those new xenons Elmo has out. It's so quiet and smooth running that without the lamp and blower on you would have no idea it was in operation. I wish we used it more often although it does suck stopping the movie to make reel changes but the school kids don't care, they're just happy to be out of class.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 08:11 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin

You did a great job. You've got a very interesting site. I hope to see the place in person one day. How is the on-screen presentation?

Bruce

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 08:42 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce McGee:
How is the on-screen presentation?

Bruce

The on-screen presentation is fantastic. It's hard to describe how much of an improvement it is unless I describe what was there before. This is going to make a lot of you guys cringe and its something I'm not too proud of, but we had to make due for 2 years trying to run a theater with 25 year old equipment that had been idle for 7 years while raising the money for the renovations.

Film Head:
Luckily this was in fairly good shape and only needed a change of oil and a few parts replaced but it always had a problem with the intermittent making noise which wasn't fixed until the guys at Cardinal Sound got it. One of the other projectionists tried to fix it but never could.

Lamp House:
An old Peerless Magnarc Lamphouse that had been converted to xenon. I don't remember what the power supply was but it sucked and always blew fuses and once caught one on fire (that was an exciting night). The bulb had a arc stability problem and was very noticable on screen.

Sound:
All of the sound equipment was gone when we got there except for the sound head - an old RCA unit. One of the volunteers was an AV guy and donated an old PA mixer board and amplifier that we used. There was one Crate speaker behind the screen. The excitor lamp was powered by a 12v battery charger (don't laugh).

Screen:
The old cinemascope screen was in such poor condition that we tossed it and bought a roll down screen that looked pretty good but always had problems with wrinkles when the weather changed.

Masking:
None, which wasn't really a problem for flat films because the image fit pretty well on the screen. Unfortunately for scope films we still had to use the scope lense for the cinemascope screen and as a result had to crop about 3 feet off the image on either side to get it to fit using tape on the port window (don't laugh again).

Platter:
20 year old SuperPlatter - enough said.

During the renovations, the roll up screen was replaced by a frame screen with masking curtains. It is attached to hoists and can raised out of the way for stage performances. We also have new lenses and appatures for flat and scope so the image no longer has to cropped.

I think by now you should be able to appreciate what an improvment things must be without even seeing or hearing it. Boy am I glad those days are over, but it some ways it also made things interesting.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 10:08 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the intercom system!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: