Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Oscars announced! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Oscars announced!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-26-2000 08:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible...Phantom Menace has lost in every catagory it has been nominated in.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha etc...

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible? Not to me. As soon as Hollywood realized that George Lucas spent $100 million of his own money to make THE PHANTOM MENACE as an independent film... and that Mr. Lucas would be keeping all the profits for himself too, it immediately became popular to snub Mr. Lucas.

I'm sure George Lucas would be more willing to play Hollywood's game if his history had been different. But, while the folks at Universal were always good to Steven Spielberg in the early 1970s, someone at Universal decided to shaft George Lucas when he finished AMERICAN GRAFFITI and that set in motion the two career paths of these two men who, although they're friends, have a completely different approach to producing.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-26-2000 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, did Russell Crowe look bored by the entire evening's proceedings or what?

I'm a bit angry Topsy Turby got best makeup over Fat Bastard! Sure his chicken eating/sex scene was disgusting...but ya gotta admit the makeup was far superior to Topsy.

I enjoy Phil Collins' music, but I grow really tired of Disney getting the best original song award every year...especially when "Blame Canada" was nominated! Trey Parker and Matt Stone keep getting shafted by the Academy and the MPAA. Anyone remember the "NC-17" rating on "Orgazmo"? That should've been an R rating in every sense of the term. (At least Robin Williams made a nice show of the song.)

Finally, when oh when will the Academy devote a mere couple of minutes to the technical achievement awards. They don't even bother to quickly run through them! Yet they'll go on and on and on and on and on with their montages, dragging the show out to a solid FOUR HOURS so they can sell more commercial time.

On a positive note, how about that "Matrix", eh?

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2000 11:37 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I crazy, or was Billy Crystal rather disappointing this year? I did think that bit on what the stars are thinking was funny, but overall, his humor was lacking. Maybe my expectations were too high - he usually has me in stitches.

And Brad, I was also disappointed that they didn't even bother to show HIGHLIGHTS for the Technical Acheivement Awards! Arrrg!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-26-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
F.Y.I. For those who missed the link on the main page, click here to see the Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards the Academy doesn't feel are important enough to televise.

Thanks to Scott Ribbens for sending them in.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-27-2000 12:24 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greg Anderson:
[B]Incredible? Not to me. As soon as Hollywood realized that George Lucas spent $100 million of his own money to make THE PHANTOM MENACE as an independent film... and that Mr. Lucas would be keeping all the profits for himself too, it immediately became popular to snub Mr. Lucas.<<

That's not true. Had Lucas made a film which had even SLIGHTLY rekindled the flame which burnt so brightly by the first two films (and to a lesser extent, the third) he would have been up there all night and NO-ONE would be looking at him as if he is a has-been.

Congrats to the Matrix and all the Aussies that made it possible.

Personally, I wasn't wrapped in the Matrix, but I'd sit through it another twenty times before I sat through The Phantom Shit another once.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-27-2000 01:20 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i thought Billy Crystal was Awesome! *MUCH MUCH MUCH* better than Whoopi was last year...

And did anyone else notice Cher's eyes kinda bugging out as she opened that envelope? Thought 'Blame Canada' had actually won it there for a split second until she said "Phil Collins"...

And i am glad Matrix swept all its categories!

Aaron

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2000 01:11 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with Erika, compared to previous years, his perfomance was a little flat, but at any rate, better than Whoopi. I'd almost like to see Robin Williams host one year, and what was with having 2 announcers this year?

I have to agree that the Matrix also clearly desrved the Oscars that it recieved this year. It pushed the envelope of film-making technology, and is already a benchmark. of movies to come (ie Mission Impossible 2)

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2000 03:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the Oscars.

Things that worked.

I thought Billy Crystal was great as usual. Yea, the shtick is getting old; but it's a great shtick! I actually liked the two announcers. Peter Coyote was transparent and I enjoyed the peek backstage.

I thought the show made use of the video wall in the most effective way that I have ever seen. I used to set those up and let me tell you, The represented 5 days work by a couple of very talented technicians, to set up. Then, I am sure there was a week of rehearsal. It also represented at least a week of programming time, if not longer. Then, of course, they flew the walls. There was a credit for TI/DLP at the end of the broadcast. They did the big screen, but who did the video walls?

I liked the way they brought all the song acts on in one set. The curtain moved back and forth until Blame Canada when they used the whole set.

Things that didn't work.

So they eliminated the dance number! What was that tribute to Music in Film number? It looked like a colossal waste of time to me. It wasn't very good and only scratched the surface of the topic. And let's stitch the whole thing together with mindless plinking at the piano. Ray Charles is one of the greatest performers ever, but he looked a little sad up there. Let it be said that I dislike medleys, anyway.

There were some dead spots when they came back from commercials. I don't know how you fix that, but it stood out.

And what was that about standing in the center mike, then crossing the stage to get out of the way of the screen, and ending up at a different mike? The presenters were obviously body miked and they didn't need the center mike. I would have stood the presenter at the edge of the screen and stopped all this movement on stage.

Every year I here about how long the telecast was. I don’t care, I like it long.

Disappointments

I wanted Richard Farnsworth to win best actor. I wanted Genghis Blues to win best documentary. Congar Ol Adnar from Genghis Blues was there in person. He would have been a mind blowing, musical guest.

Delights

Hilary Swank was the best actress. Michael Cain was very gracious. I liked that the Matrix was given everything it was nominated for. I like that everybody thanked the Warchowski Brohters, who are great and will be great again if Matrix 2 & 3 don't sink them.

Dresses

Selma Hyak was great as usual. Hilary Swank looked very feminine. Charlize Therone was stunning, as was Nichole Kidman. What dresses stood out in your mind?

Next year they should have a projectionist as host of the Oscars.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2000 03:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Seems like Billy Crystal was a bit more reserved this year than in past years. The show had a few funny moments, especially Mr and Mrs Potato Head out in the Audience. I thought the musical numbers were done much better this year than others though. Cher stumbling on her dress was hilarious too. Yes, It was way too long.

Brad, You forgot to mention the special Oscar Statuette given to Dr Ryan in your listing on Technical awards.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-27-2000 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, must've missed that. Oh if that show wasn't telecast live how much I would love to take that baby down to an Avid! Needless to say, I wandered off from time to time as I had other things to do.

Ian, and who should be that projectionist? I can see it now:
"And the nominees are: Movie #1, which shed like a bitch...Movie #2, which got tossed 14 times during it's 3 month run...Movie #3 which brainwrapped and pulled the platter over on it's side...Movie #4 which wouldn't fit in the damn clamps...and finally Movie #5 which was a trade screening print that came in all scratched up after only being ran one time at the megaplex down the road."

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-27-2000 04:33 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matrix RULES!!!

Did anyone get a look at what Matt and Trey were wearing? Nice send up to bad fashion!

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2000 06:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Welcome to the 73rd Acadamy Awards!

My name is Ian Price; I'm the projectionist and I will be your host.

You will not see me for the rest of the show. I will be lounging in the booth with my fellow projectionist while all these stars are sweating it out on stage. Now here is Charlize Therone to give an oscar to the Projectionist of the Year.

I exit while giving Charlize a pat on the back side.

"The nominees are;

Brad Miller, for inventing Film-Guard.

Joe Redifer, for using his aserbic wit to make the manufactures do better.

Erika Helgren, for putting up with Joe and advancing the art of projection.

Aaron Siesmore, for making the oldest, most beat-up equipment in the world, continue to work.

And Gordon McLeod for running the realy big film.

The Oscar goes to...."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-27-2000 09:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I taped the show, but did not see Trey and Matt. Do you recall when they cut to them? I imagine it would be humorous.

Ian, don't keep us in suspense!!!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt & Trey weren't on the ABC telecast which is a shame. They were on the E! coverage with Joan Rivers. She couldn't pass up a chance to show them off.

I wonder if it was a concious decision by ABC or unconcious not to show them.

My buddy Congar ol Adnar was there as well. He is the Tuvan throat singer from Genghis Blues. I only saw him in the corner of one of E!'s shots. His outfit was more colorful than most.

After that russian won for best animated short, The Old Man and the Sea, they should have said, "OK lets watch it now."

Or with interactive TV they should say, "The winner's film will now play on Channel 602 on your DSS machine. We will give you five minutes to set your Replay."

I'm trying to get my booker to get me the Documentary and Animated winners.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: