Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » prefered method for B-Chains (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: prefered method for B-Chains
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2000 08:31 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.k. I'm looking for how everyone does a b-chain alignment.
Single mic in the auditorium? multiple? Where do you place them? What mics do you use? What RTA? Pink noise film? Or card?
Anyone with an unorthodox method? (rubbing beetroot on the processor and praying to the gods of the cinema is my favorite ) Do you use a constant Pink noise? How do you account for near/far field differences? What about the problem of standing waves or reverberation caused by a constant pink noise? What frequency curve do you strive for?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2000 10:07 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like to get a few hundred people to volunteer to sit around in the auditorium and listen to pink noise. If I'm really lucky, then i can persuade the theatre to give everyone free popcorn to munch on so that I can recreate a perfect sound environment. Otherwise, I use the single microphone method.

Rick

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-24-2000 08:38 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We order a copy of the Matrix and eq that thing. Best six channel mixed film ever.

that and we use the new KORN cd, the bass output is so high and crisp that you dont have a choice but to eq the thing correctly.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2000 10:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the R2 RTA or a Goldline DSP30 with the UltraStereo Multiplexer
Mic1 always is 2/3 back just off centre
Mic2 left aisle just over 1/2 back
Mic 3 front 1/3 off centre to the left (mirror mic1)
Mic 4 right asile just under 1/2 back slightly in from the aisle
And I use a 30 sec average
Some times I have to use the old Altec/abbacus with a single mic in a hurry and it is a neutrix calibrated mic
the element gets aimed upwards
I do not believe in the use of the nearfield method of eq in large rooms as we are sitting in the far field in other words the sum of the speaker (direct) and the room
In a screening room that becomes a mute point though as we are more in a "monitor" mode
I have little use for the "golden ears" approach of eq'ing using a particluar track as at best it will be inconsistent from room to room and one of the pureposes of the ISO curve was to try to bring a uniform response curve to all rooms to approximate what the mixer was hearing in the dubbing theatre
Also even for DTS we use the RTA to set the sub levels never a SPL meter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2000 01:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord and I definately agree on the "golden ear" approach!! It does not present any standard to re-set the system to after the "golden ears" have turned to "pewter ears". I've re-eqd systems with my R-2 that were tuned that way and achieved VERY imressive results!!

The R-2 has provided me with the best and most consistant results. I also use my Ivie PC-40 if I'm in a hurry but I try to avoid that. I usually use the Ivie for "A" chains cause I like the display better than the R-2 for this use. I always thought THX should have included a slower setting for this.
I've used about all the analyzers out there at one time or another from the old Altec(cool unit!)to a Klark Teknik to an IE-30, a Gold line, and some in between.

If you are buying one get the R-2, and follow Gords reccomendations above. Its results are worth the expenditure and its results will impress the heck out of your customers.
Mark

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2000 08:43 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did just buy an R2. Found it on e-bay. THX was nice enough to give me the missing software and manual.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2000 08:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use and like the:

R2 (4-mic plex) and
Abacus ARTA-600 (single mic and plex).

The Abacus is a scope attachement and among other things, has the BEST ballistics of any analyzer I have ever used or seen. Furthermore, it simultaneously displays X-Y and RTA on the scope for the easiest A-chain set up of any system.

The most consistant B-chain results are with the R2, no question. In our THX theatres (I am an authorized THX recertification engineer) the check ups show that the EQ doesn't change from year to year, thereby killing the "inconsistant" results claimed by the people that don't believe in the prevailing B-chain tuning process.

Good results can be had with single mic systems though but it requires a better technician and one that knows his/her equipment. Remember, the analyzer isn't perfect and it's display has tolerence and even more importantly, the microphone(s) have their own response that is often far from flat! If you don't know the response of your mics, then you really are just fooling yourself into believing your display. One nice thing about the R2 system, is that the mics have offset files that are referenced to a calibrated microphone at Lucasfilm (that is checked regularly) to ensure consistant responses (this also allows us to check our other microphones).

I do measure both near field and far field. One can't exclude either since BOTH are important in film. Speech is not well simulated with a constant pink noise source whereas sustained sounds from music and effects are.

I think everyone has their own favorite mic placements (and direction) and mine is a product of my own experiences (yours may vary).

I do recommend walking the room with pink noise playing and listen to what your mic(s) are going to be telling you. Your ears should quide you as to where to place the mic(s) in the various areas of the room.

After tuning a room, listen to your results with a known sample of film (one that you have heard many times before and in different situations) in addition to other program material. Too many technicians tune just with their eyes (ie looking at the magical analyzer and believing everything it tells you). You should listen to your work and understand why it sounds the way it does (good or bad).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is why Dolby made Jiffy and listen
the only two reel reference films

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2000 07:41 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the results with the R2 always quite consistent, even though it takes time to set up and return to case.
I was also using the Gold-Line DSP 30, and I liked the device, as it is very powerful and compact, and now offered with many new options. It is a reasonable, expandable choice.
Keeping in mind, that we're doing steady state measurements in theatres, I keep EQ as low as possible. The ear - brain combination tends to accept the first sound approach from a source, direct field sound.
EQ discrepancies of more than 3 dB between 2 1/3 bands are unlike things in nature.
My most important measure is familiar film, even though JiffYs, Buzz and Bill Shows, SDDS tech reels get boaring after some 100 views, but they are familiar references.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2000 09:04 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just starting to fiddle with b-chain tuning in my screening room. One of the questions I have is that in the CP65 book it shows that you are to roll off the reponse curve at top and bottom. Why is that? I would think you would want as flat a response as possible from your sound system.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2000 10:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"I'm just starting to fiddle with b-chain tuning in my screening room. One of the questions I have is that in the CP65 book it shows that you are to roll off the reponse curve at top and bottom. Why is that? I would think you would want as flat a response as possible from your sound system."<<

It has to do with what you are measuring, how you are measuring it and what environment you are measuring it in.

That is, you are measuring "pink noise", it is being left on such that it is in a steady state and is "built up" and the room you are measuring has some degree of reflections so that the frequencies will obey the laws of superposition and add/subtract. The high-frequencies, in particular will bounce around and by the time they reach your mic(s) have added up to a lower value than if you just measured the initial direct signal. As such, if you set your analyzer's display to "FLAT" you would find the room sounded increadably bright. The roll-off as defined by ISO-2969 and ANSI/SMPTE 202M is actually a real world approximation of what is needed. It is not correct for every room (or most for that matter). If you have a dead room (particularly small screening rooms) the roll off will be much less whereas for caverns the roll off will need to be more so.

Remember, most sounds in film are not like pink noise in nature, they are short, time wise and won't "build up" in the room like pink noise will.

Another thing to remember is that typical analog equalizers while can correct (equalize) level problems across the audio spectrum, they, by the time dependant nature of capacitive circuits, will introduce time-related problems that show up as phase inconsistancies. In short, DON'T OVER EQ. If possible, fix the room and speakers and don't EQ at all (normally not an option), having to EQ (on a frequency, by frequency basis) is an admission of failure or accomodation.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2000 01:54 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we tune it to the pipe organ

by getting somebody to play the same notes on the organ, and then duplicating the eq settings accordingly. The pipe organ pretty much puts out the same volume for all the notes, and is a warm and pleasing sound that most people enjoy...why not tune the sound to it!

What we have actually found out though is that doing this, we get a rather flat EQ curve. Ever try setting the 5 bander on the ol simplex amps. You gotta use a screwdriver!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-28-2000 09:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tunning to the Pipe Organ means tuning with a tone oscilator not noise
The ISO rolloff is based on steady state pink noise equal energy per octave not equal energy per frequency
The origins of the ISO curve date back to experiments at bell labs in the 20's to the perception of large rooms and what sounded flat

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-29-2000 07:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of B-chains... Are there any good books or other reference materials on sound system design for movie theatres? Or is it all just a black art of sorts?

I'm pretty familiar with the types of equipment that are common in theatres, but I really have no idea about what types of considerations go into system design. How much power? Passive crossovers, bi-amping, or tri-amping? How many surrounds? JBL, EV, Altec, or Stage Accompany? QSC, Hafler, Ashley, or something else? 70v system for surrounds? What kind of acoustical treatments are necessary?

I'd be interested in any information on this sort of thing; the only sort of reference material that I've seen is a PDF file on JBLs web site, which is obviously written to try to sell JBL loudspeakers...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-29-2000 10:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best overall book is
soundsyetm engineering by don & Carolyn Davis published by Sams
also
Ioan Allens Soundsystem design guidlines available from Dolby
THX Archetects and Engineers Manual
from Lucas Film
And Smart also published a sound system guide book

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: