Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kalee Sound Head Conversion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kalee Sound Head Conversion
Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 10:17 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just released a conversion for some models of the Gaumont-Kalee sound heads (Types 378,543, and 876). This conversion gives you reverse scan analog complete with the 660nm LED, and optional Dolby SRD. The prototype, which is in service in Australia in one of Don Howard's theatres, is showing consistent error rates of 1 and 2 even when running tired old trailers.

I have been asked why we would bother with these old machines. Well, first of all, respect for beautifully made projectors which even many years later are still putting good pictures on the screen. Secondly, I liked the challenge and it was pretty easy to adapt our standard Simplex components which made it economically feasible. Thirdly, Kalee owners need love too.

For pictures and more detail, please go to:
http://www.componentengineering.com/nfnew.html

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the SH7500 mirrorphonic soundheads
motiograph users need love too

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 12:03 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I just might do at least an analog only version. I, too, am fond of Motiographs, but the problem is that I once loaned my only lateral guide roller to someone and it never came back. I have the added incentive that our barely breaking even trade screening room still runs Motiographs and I am sure that he would be most willing guinea pig. I'll keep you posted.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2000 04:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill-

Why not make a third party SRD soundhead for Christie P35GPS projectors?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 05:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run Motiograph SH-7500 soundheads at the Skyline Drivein in Shelton, Wash.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2000 09:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also one for the Westrex 5000 35/70machine would be nice two

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 11:17 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill, if you want a free SH-7500 guinea pig..Ill send one..you pay the freight!!!
Ill leave the motor off to save 50 or so pounds!!! Let me know, I could use some kits here in MT, ID. John

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 11:29 PM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Kalee would possibly the best engineered projector, But what about the Western Electrics 1A and TA 7400-B, I am sure that the few owners that are still alive want all the love that they can get.
David

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2000 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar makes an analog LED kit for the SH7500 Motiograph. I installed a bunch of them at a theater in Burley, Idaho recently.

As far as the Kalee goes its long been my favorite projector and I'm glad that Bill has expended the time and money to develop the reader for it. The projector heads have the fit and finish of a swiss watch. Gee here were double speed shutters in a post war projector. The gate and trap is probably the weakest like in the machine and unfortunately the side weave is not much better than a Super Simplex. But with new film they are pretty darn good.
I have measured wow and flutter on just about every sound reproducer out there, and the Kalee model 7 reproducer was consistanlty the lowest and that may account for the low error rate they are gettting. I have found though that the speed varies between machines considerably(due to the V-belt drive)so attention to that aspect may be important to watch for with digital playback.
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bill,
What about some sort of LED reader gizmo so I can replace the ten pound tone arm on my Western Electric Vitaphone turntable?
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2000 09:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bauer U2 is another machine that a good reverse scan is needed for
Kalee madea very good wow and flutter meter
The side weeve wasn't that bad on the GK21's but the non fast change apperture was a pain

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2000 11:16 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your responses are fun to read because they show where your hearts lie. Where they seem to lie is in the quest for quality, but that tone runs through most of the threads in this forum.

I appreciate all the suggestions and offers of equipment, but I have enough to keep me busy for quite awhile. While I did say in the original post that the Kalee was done partly for fun, there also had to be at least some expectation of making enough money to justify the costs. We are, and hope to continue to be a profit making organization.

While it would also be fun to tackle some of the other older machines, I fear that the return just isn't there. There may be enough SH7500's still in service to make it worthwhile, but old Western Electrics, I don't think so. (I like the idea of the disc transducer, but I think that it has already been done. It's called a "CD Player".) Another problem often is that we don't have any of the machines hereabouts which we can use for our development. We offer a large "Thank you" to Dick Prather of Portland, OR, for the loan of the Kalee.

Christie's problems are for them to solve and I think that they know this. It is important for us to stay friendly with them as many of our customers want our automation system in Christie consoles, and so we must work together.

In the meantime, we do have other projects in development and will certainly keep you all informed as they are ready for the world.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed you have an analog reader for the RCA MI9030. What about the MI1050?

------------------
Bob Throop

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2000 07:48 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget the RCA 1040 soundhead, which is similar to the 1050. I have several theaters here in the south Puget Sound area still running these soundheads.

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2000 09:09 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a "Yes, but," answer. Our regular RCA adapter will fit but it is quite a job to get it in there. The problem is that the exciter lamp housing is shorter than in the 9030 series. Also, there is a cast in vent slot that is in the way. Therefore, what you have to do is remove the whole sub-assembly which has the lens mount as a part of it. Then you get your Sawzall and remove the piece of metal which hangs down (it is really a light trap). Put the reader into the lens mount (using the adapter sleeve which we supply), re-install the assembly and align.

The LED end, however, is quick and easy.

See what I mean, yes, but!

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: