Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Story of the Hurricane

Author Topic: The Story of the Hurricane
Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 09:24 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I realize this has little to do with Film and pretty much nothing to do with Tech, but I have to talk about it a little bit. We're all familiar with the film The Hurricane - I had the opportunity last night to meet and listen to the real-life Lesra Martin (the kid who got Rubin Carter out) and John Artis (the kid who went to jail with Rubin). They came to campus at the U of Northern Iowa and gave speeches. Wow. They showed pictures from their collections - the places in the movie (the jails, the bar, their little apartment across from the jail) were the real deal. Those were the actual places in real life.

Their stories were amazing and very inspirational, and they really have nothing to do with this site. But it was cool and I thought you might like to know.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2000 09:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ontario Place will be hosting the same thing on march 29th
Yawn

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 11:17 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry MASTER. i was just saying that it was cool to see. hoser.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-22-2000 02:37 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is a "hoser" anyway? It's not listed in Webster's. Is it like a "Hokey?" Eh?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2000 02:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's always cool when a fairly important person comes to a theater and talks about "behind the scenes" either as the real-life person, or a member of the cast or crew.

Ron Howard came to the theater I was working at, and I started talking to him about "Cocoon." He was really friendly. I told him that we had a 70mm print, and that I had changed lenses so the image filled our 1.85 screen (we have adjustable top masking.) He said ILM had told him about the problems theaters (with top masking) would have, and seemed really glad we took the time to make it better. He shook my hand and later waved when leaving. It was a small thing, but makes you feel better after all the crap this job can create.

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2000 08:13 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is Hokey in Websters? i think those are farther east or south. 'rubes' would fit here, but i'm not a 'bus kid' so i don't know how that works.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2000 10:00 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a graduate from Va Tech I'm proud to be a Hokie

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: