Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sounds from the booth, for newbies!

Author Topic: Sounds from the booth, for newbies!
Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2000 08:57 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be a cool idea to record some WAV files of your projection equipment in action during a show. This was after teaching a group of Boy Scouts cinematography with super 8 movie film. When I ran their reels on the little projector, one of them asked what all the clattering and ticking was.

Then it occurred to me that the schools stopped using 16mm about 15 years ago! Most of these guys had never seen, or heard any kind of film projection equipment in action!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2000 12:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the WAV file for my projectors (Christie). It is recorded at 24-bit 96khz:

"Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! KNOCK KNOCK! (from the Ultramittent) Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! KNOCK! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak! Clickety clak!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2000 08:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SDDS version
(silence)
(silence)
(silence)
burst of pink noise

the processor crashed

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 09:16 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here's what our patrons heard one night during a movie breakdown....

"Why the F*CK are you doing this to me!? I F*cking hate you, you piece of sh*t. -KICK-, -PUNCH- F*ck it!"

passes were given out around five minutes later. the guy still works there...we're afraid his head may explode at any moment.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you hit it right on. Mine might KNOCK a little more though, I don't know for sure.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2000 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul-

Get a recording of when the projector is completely cold, such as the first time the motor is turned on during the day after sitting all night. That's when it's the worst. Mine only knock occasionally because the bad assy's have been replaced. Yours might need the same.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 01:13 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our booth is most characterized by the friendly yet piercing "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" of one of our xetron power supplies. It seems to just be a loud bugger by nature.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!"

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-22-2000 01:36 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your rectifier makes a MMMMMMMM noise? Mine used to. I have knitron rectifiers and we just tightened down the plates and no problem. However I do miss the calming electrical MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that permeated the building.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 02:39 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to replace most of our 7 month old ultramittents because of the knocks.

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2000 08:18 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that soothing MMMMMMMMMMMM is what keeps me sane. you can't help but smile when go you by #6. mmmm...cozy. cuddly. buzzy. i think 8 is like that too.

Chad, by the way - how are you doing? I haven't been in to see you yet. Maybe tonight.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2000 04:23 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys how about makeing a CD recording with all the greatest tunes from that booth? at least we will have something good to put in the cd-player next time the film-handlers are together!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-24-2000 02:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A CD of projector noise? Just open all of the portholes!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2000 03:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
From the sound of things I'm not sure you need to open the portholes.
Mark

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2000 04:13 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most unusual sound that comes from our booth is;

The ungodly RUMBLE of the 300lb projectionist, running down the catwalk, to fix a problem.

From below, I actualy heard a little girl say, "Mommy, I'm scared!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: