Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FilmGuard Question

Author Topic: FilmGuard Question
Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a question for Brad Miller. Brad, It is claimed that FilmGuard can cover up base-side scratching, but because none of our prints have ever been scratched, we have never had to put it to this test........until now. Some f*ck up misthreaded our simo of Erin Brockovich this weekend and caused light but noticeable base side scratches throughout the film. I was just wondering how long it usually takes for FilmGuard to work its magic on scratches. The way our FilmGuard rotation works, each film gets an application once a day. Do you have any special recommendations?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Run it exclusively on that print for a few days. The more passes it gets, the better the print will look overall.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-21-2000 01:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The 2nd, 3rd, etc. pass is where the real magic happens! The more, the better!

The second time you apply liquid to the print is also another "magic time"... Typically, I FG prints as soon as we get 'em. They run with the cleaner on for every show, Friday through Sunday night. On Monday, I take a look at all the prints and decide if there are any that need another coating. I coated Tigger Movie when we first got it and again about two weeks later. I haven't touched it since and it's still perfect.

We had a little base-side scratch on Cider House Rules. I hit it again with FG and you can only tell it's there if you squint to see it. If it's going to play for a while longer, I'll treat it a 3rd time. I fully expect the scratch to be 99.9% invisible, if not all the way gone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: