Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Big Sky P platter questions

Author Topic: Big Sky P platter questions
Mike Hurley
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 10:44 AM      Profile for Mike Hurley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Hurley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're deciding between a Speco 270 and a Big Sky P series. Anyone used the Big Sky? They're +\- 500.00 cheaper than the Speco and are supposed to be every bit a Xetron.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-20-2000 01:23 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We demo'ed one for several months. We generally liked them. I don't know if they changed anything since we had it, so some of my following comments might not apply.

They have a microprocessor inside rather than regular analog components. For example, after using it for awhile, our tech guy asked if it could be programmed to spin up the tail end after the film had ended, which they did. A handy feature. Users can't program it, only at the factory. So if you think of some feature, they might be able to do it for you in software.

The drive motors are under the deck (like a Christie) to keep from pinching a loose tail end of film. The power cord goes into a socket at the bottom of the mast, and uses a detachable IEC cord- the same type as is used on computers. So you will need to find a way to keep it from being kicked out. The fuses are part of the socket (you have to get on your knees and remove the cord, then pull out a plastic holder which holds a 5mm type fuse) which sucks if you are in a hurry.

The pay-out head feed arm has a paper graduated white/black to set the platter speed. That peice of paper wears against the sleeve when the pay-out head is inserted or removed. It took about 3 months for it to get damaged enough to require replacement. They have probably fixed the design by now, but I don't know how.

Threading the pay-out head is a little harder because the film ("head" end) must be pushed through the rollers (unlike a Christie or current Xetrons where the film can be pushed down in from the top.) Not impossible, but a pain, if you had to thread film midway, as if the pay-out head died mid-show or film got tangled.

There are no switches to set "pay-out" or "take-up." LED's tell you what mode each deck is in.

I really hated the one "loose" roller for returning film at the bottom of the platter mast. It's kind of hard to explain here, but it's designed to be self-positioning, but it doesn't work too well. They may have changed that too.

There is a film accumulator on the feed side, with a switch to shut down the platter if there is too much tension. Unlike some other platters (Rentec, Xetron), this switch has two contacts; one that goes to the projector automation and another that shuts down the platter itself. That way if a platter wrap puts the feed-out arm on full speed ahead, you won't get up to the booth and find a stopped projector, but a still spinning feed deck.

I didn't use the make-up table to really get an idea of how it was.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't afford a Christie AW3, then go with the SPECO. They are pretty reliable, although not quite as nice as the AW3.

However for the record, I've never used the Big Sky.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 10:11 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Cinema Tech, who I trust as far as I can throw my wallet, is very impressed with the Big Sky.

I have 5 Speco LP-270s and I wouldn't buy them again on a bet. My preverence would be for Strong/Potts or Christie Autowind III. I don't know what they cost. My Speco platters are noisy and they don't seem to calabrated very well. I hate the platter mutt. To be fair, our units are a few years old.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-20-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think (all things consitered) you should look at the Big Sky platters. They are a new company, but the platter is as good as anyones, and the price is competive. If they are $500 cheaper, I know my boss would want a damn good reason why I didn't at least look at one.

If you are going to buy several, ask for a demo model to try for awhile. Usually, you only pay for shipping to/from the manufacturer. That goes for any make of platter.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 11:32 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you do not have other SPECO units in the house, than go with the BIG SKY.
I am very fond of SPECO and have used / sold / serviced many through the years. It is my
favorite platter system. However, Mark Smith, owner of Big Sky has a well designed unit available. It has several features that set it apart from the rest. Just like SPECO,
Big Sky will support their product 150%!!
The main thing is to stay 'standardized'
try and keep your equipment the same or very simular! This simplifies service & spare parts stocks! Good luck.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2000 12:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Big Sky should send a platter down for evaluation on Joe's Reviews.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2000 09:06 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are up for even more options, and want to invest a bit more money (thinking long term, here) at least look at a Kinoton. They invented the platter and make the best, in my extremely humble opinion. They don't need timing, ever. Their new payout units are out of this world, right J.W.?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2000 06:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I will be needing to review this platter. However I would also like to test the make up table as well, just so it can be a complete review. From what I read it sounds like a great platter! I can't believe that it has firmware.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: