Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex E7 Ghosting.

Author Topic: Simplex E7 Ghosting.
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 01:08 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, Im having trouble with my Simplex E7 with ghosting. I did what the manual says in regards to the shutter knob, and unlocking the shutter screw underneath the lense. But I still see ghosting. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 07:04 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya;
What type of ghosting are you seeing -- trailing up or down? By doing the adjustments you mention do you make any difference? May just be that the shutter has slipped on the shaft and you can't "fine adjust" it any more.

Pat

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be both up and down. Especially on subtitles, and credits and stuff like that, but also people and objects too. When I adjusted the knob, and tightened the screw, I noticed a very slight difference, but it may have been just my eyes.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had travel ghost problem on my Brenkert BX - 40 when I first got it running. I am using a home made light source with a quartz halogen lamp and a condenser lens. To make a long story short, I had the light source too close to the shutter and light was leaking around the shutter when it should have completely blocked off the light. I moved the light souse back away somewhat from the shutter and the problem disappeared.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 08:50 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try that, thanks

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike;
If ghosting is both above and below, it's one of three things.
First, way excessive play in the gear train. With the machine stopped, ideally the shutter should have no more than one-quarter to on-half inch rotational play in its gear mesh.
Second, there's a drive-in style shutter installed. The blade on a rear-shutter only projector should be around 90-degrees of cover. If it's narrower, it might leak light top and bottom.
Third, as the last post from Jeff mentions, the light source might be too large an angle coming into the projector. The cone of light at the shutter is too large and the shutter can't "cover" all of it. Try pulling the light source back to narrow the cone of light.
What is the light source? Did this originally have a front-shutter mechanism on it?

Pat

Scott Hicks
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 03:10 PM      Profile for Scott Hicks   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Hicks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat. Nice to hear from you!

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat , How is Bob Boytano? Rember the the Elma theatre? I sold it years ago. I have a new one. Scott Hicks and crew is helping me turn into a uptown joint .

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2000 09:23 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably excessive wear in the shutter drive gear, and the shutter driven gear. Is it a vertical shaft machine or is it oblique?
(Is the main shaft straight up & down or does
it run at an angle to the right from bottom to top?) What happens in this case is the shutter blade will 'float' thus timing becomes erratic. You will need to replace both the steel drive gear and the fibre driven gear in order to fix it. There is a
woodruff key in the steel gear that also may be worn out. It should be replaced too.
Part numbers for OBLIQUE shaft are: G-297 Fibre Gear,K-162 Key for G-297, G-258 Steel Gear,
K-161 key for G-258.
Parts for VERTICAL shaft type are: G-332 Fibre gear, G-338 Steel gear. The Oblique parts are readily available from your dealer, the vertical parts are becoming scarce..
Good luck!

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2000 11:23 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yo heenanaz, still trading? ;-)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: