Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What makes a Senior Citizen? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What makes a Senior Citizen?
Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 04:42 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is way off target for the average Film Tech questions, but I have no where else to turn to for answers on short notice. So, first off sorry but I am desperate and where else can I get response world wide. I have a guy in tonight that is bitching about my senior citizen age requirements of 60 and over. What is the general age that you see in your theatres for youth and seniors.
thanks for any light that you can shed on this.
lance

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 04:57 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can join the AARP at age 55. My mother is a member even though she is still a hot babe, or at least her much younger boyfriend thinks so.

We say a senoir is age 55 and over. If you want to call yourself a senior at 55 even though you just made partner at the law firm and are pulling down 200K a year and just bought a new BMW 7 series, go for it. It will impress the hell out of your 20 something, blond trophy wife.

The US govenment now thinks that they don't need to pay Social Security until you reach the age of 70. That sounds like a senior to me. At 55, I still plan on making young girls nervous. At 70, I might just go chasing a few 55 year olds, for sport.

My grandmother refused to admit that she was a senoir and always paied full price for the bus in NYC. She got away with it untill she hit 75, then the bus drivers just said senoir when she got on. She thought it was rude to ask for a discount while she was wearing her fifty year old, hand me down, mink coat.

As for children, if they look pre-pubesent, I give them the child's rate. I always thought 12 was a strange cut off for the childrens rate. Your a child until you can drive the family to the theatre and pay for them all on your credit card. Of course by the time I was 13, I was 6' tall and had a voice like Barry White.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-17-2000 05:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I've always thought 65 was a good number, but in all honesty it's not worth listening to them so I just give it to them if they ask for it without carding. I don't think many people under 55 would say "hey, look how old I am" anyway if they weren't.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 03-17-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
55 or 60 or 62 or 65 or 70, makes no difference to me.

I just want them to declare themselves as seniors when they say one or two please. If they ask for just one to movie X, then I'm gonna give'em an adult ticket. And while I'm bitching, multiplexes have been around for a couple decades and I'm not psychic, so why are people still puzzled when we ask what movie they'd like their one adult or senior ticket to?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 05:35 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Colorado, when you hit 70 years old, you can ski for free. I guess that the ski areas figure that it is a good return on investment. They have had your lift ticket money for 50 or 60 years and you still go to buy lunch.

Speaking of lunch, have you noticed that seniors not only ask for a discount, but they buy very little concessions? I'd let them in for free if they would just pony up to the concession stand. Not only do they dilute your box office revenue and your concession percap, but they insist on your opening early because they don't like to drive at night.

Then half of them complain that the sound is too loud while the other half say they cant hear, could you turn it up louder.

God protect me from becoming just like them. I can feel it coming on.

Shut up out there, your making too damn much noise!

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 06:27 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a problem with an elderly customer who comes every Friday and is here tonight. He always comes 20 minutes after the start of the first show, says he's going to stay to watch the beginning of the second, and ends up watching the entire second show. I don't really have a problem with that so much but it's the fact that he sleeps during both shows, snores loudly, and bothers the other patrons is the problem. Is there anything I can do about this other then wake him up every 5 minutes? I don't think you can ask somebody to leave or not come at all on account of their snoring can you?

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 08:31 PM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company, Goodrich has the age divided at:

12 and under are "kids"
and 62 and over are Seniors

We also let 2 and under in free.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 01:38 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, don't quote me on this, but the way I understand it is - it's private property so you can refuse admittance to anyone for any reason.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2000 02:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Brad's guideline. If they are willing to admit they're over 65(our cutoff age), they're a senior Citizen.

I agree they don't buy much concessions. And they show up early here, too. But I've never had even ONE of them ask me to turn our sound up OR down. Must be doing something right!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-18-2000 02:20 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a senior citizen?

Hmmm... Squeeze of lemon, some tartare sauce...

Love,
Hannibal.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-18-2000 02:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the opening day of the Saving Private Ryan re-release, I was working during the day. Right after the first show started, I came downstairs to get another batch of replacement Ultramittents that Christie had shipped me, and an elderly lady was down there complaining about the sound in Private Ryan.

"It's so loud it sounds like a war zone in there!" she said.

Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 03:42 AM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite elderly story...
This older woman came out of "Life is Beautiful" (about 30 minutes in) and asked, "Is this movie ever going to speak English?"
When she was informed that, no, it was an italian film, she replied: "Well, I'm here with a bunch of retards and they can't read!"
This is true! And to top it all off, she took them to American Pie instead! She probably would've had less explaining to do if she had kept them watching Benini!

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@bigsky.net
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2000 11:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically Erika is absolutely correct. However, I don't know anyone who would actually want to attempt to enforce that in today's politically correct world.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-18-2000 01:28 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually have just one admittance price... hold on to your hats people... 50 cents.... yet we still get yelled at by parents when we wont let thier youngins in for free or give em a discount... or give the geezers a discount... I MEAN COME ON... its 50 cents... change from the couch....

SOmeone asked me how we do it.. i said its easy... I just program the register and BAM... its 50 cents.... that and we ask that you support us at the snack bar... he balked and said.. well i dont buy theater concessions.. their too expensive.... i just buy it somewhere else and bring it in... then i followed with... and i qoute "well we cant control the flow of super cheap ass rat bastards like yourself, but we still need you to support us, so if you want to be like that you can just leave us a 5 dollar tip"...

so he did...

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 08:09 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Miller:
Technically Erika is absolutely correct. However, I don't know anyone who would actually want to attempt to enforce that in today's politically correct world.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll just tell the GM and let him worry about it.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: