Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bradford Widescreen Weekend

Author Topic: Bradford Widescreen Weekend
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend was the Bradford Widescreen Film Festival in West Yorkshire, England at the Picturevile Cinema part of the National Film & Television Museum.

screening at this years festival was the old favourites "How The West was One" & "Windjammer" in 3 strip Cinerama.

On 70mm was "Battle of the Bulge" Cinerama 70
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"
"Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"
These films were introduced by Ken Annakin Director of the above films as guest to the festival.

This is the 6th year of the Bradford Film Festival and without a doubt the Widescreen weekend is the most popular, the audience travel from all parts of Europe and the USA, and it has now become a great place to meet other cinema widescreen fans as they always meet up every year.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 04:23 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, nice to hear that the festival was a major succes sadly time was a problem for me so i did not make the festival this year maybe next year

How was Ken Annakin did he have any storys to tell. I still think that the 'Longest day' is one of the best war films made, i did hear that the print bradford had was a blowup but still it was very good.

Was "Battle of the Bulge" in Cinerama70 at bradford? i always thought that it was photographed in Ultrapanavision70.

Hope to make it next year

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 07:39 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

you should go out next year. I loved the show, it was a great chance to see 70 mm on theCinerama curved screen, and off course it is the only chance in Europe to see 3 strip Cinerama presentations. It seems like the Europeans take over, I have seen more and more people from Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, there than before.#
Even though the projection is not flawless, they use Vic 8 with flat gate, and Shneider 35 mm standard lens for the curved screen, I do hope improvements will happen.
Anybody who has the time go should go.
And don't miss the 70 mm festival in Oslo Aug 7 -13 at the film institute.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 08:33 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Improvements will happen, 1-Philips DP70 Todd-AO projector is to be installed in the near future, so im told the projector comes from Copenhagen/Denmark from a theater there and i beleave Bradford got it for free, as a way of saying thank you for keeping 70mm alive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: