Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Your Favorite Theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Your Favorite Theater
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we have all listed the most gruesome theaters to view a film in now its time to list your favorite theater(or screen). This may or may not have the best sound,image,or acoustics, or it might. It might also be a theater where the above is passable but you simply enjoy viewing a film in regardless.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 05:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cape Cinema, Route 6A Dennis, MA (First love)

The Flick, Laramer Square in the '70s, Denver, CO (First Art Films)

The Crystal, The Wilma, Missoula, MT, (Proving that you can do cinema anywhere)

Mayan, Denver, CO (Architecture)

UA Continental, (Screen #5 only) Denver, CO (Sound & Image)

The Cooper, Denver, CO (1977 Star Wars, 70mm 6-track mag)(Now a Barnes & Noble)

The Vogue, Denver, CO (Now Condos) (Most fun to run)

The Ogden, Denver, CO (Now a concert venue) (Cool Staff)

The Nugget, The Max, The Strand (Now Gone), The Chuck, Minnie and The Masons, Telluride, CO, Telluride Film Festival, (Best Audience, Best Films, Best Staff)(Funky Venues)

Rialto Cinemas Lakeside, Santa Rosa, CA (Because I own it)

Pacific's Rohnert Park 16, Rohnert Park, CA (Because I have to see a film every now and then without getting up every five minutes to fix something)

[This message has been edited by Ian Price (edited 03-14-2000).]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 05:29 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it was new, The Cinerama in Seattle. (Haven't been there since they fixed it up)
Once I went to LA as a kid and saw the premeir of Cleopatra (the Liz Taylor version ) and went to the Chineese Theater (the one with the foot prints in front) that was pretty awsome

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2000 05:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until recently the Eglinton Theatre in Toronto Canada (the first THX in canada) and a beutifull art decco theatre
The royal in toronto
the garneux in edmonton
capitol in York PA

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Cinemas Oakwood 12 Eau Claire, Wisconsin (my theater) screen #12. It isn't THX, but the sound and picture quality are exceellent. Its DTS unit is always working perfectly and even when the film is playing in stereo it sounds good.

Hey Gordon, why the "until recently"? What happened there?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-14-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mann Kipling Place 6, Littleton, CO (Back when it was a Mann Theater. It was my first theater that I worked at, where I learned projection, and the quality of the place was so bad that it was funny.)

Mann Chinese 16, Aurora, CO. (Because I work there. Absolutely no theatre in the state puts on a better, or even as good of a presentation. No theatre is as comfortable either. Also -- best sound and picture)

Greenwood Plaza 12, Englewood, CO (Lots of toys to play with in the booth. Not really an acceptable theatre anymore, but it was once the best in town)

AMC Highlands Ranch 24, Littleton, CO (Because they just wipe the floor with everyone else in quality and presentation. J/K, of course)

GCC Northpark, Dallas Texas (Because Brad says it was good, so I believe it.)

Ian- The Continental has a fantastic picture in #5 if you get a kick out of a whopping 8 footlamberts! Yeah!

[This message has been edited by Joe Redifer (edited 03-14-2000).]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 07:56 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite theatre is the Regal River Oaks Cinema 8 in Decatur, AL. See http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/generated_subpages/facilities/st72a-r8.html
for the many reasons why. Although it isn't the fanciest theatre in the area, it has the best projection quality. On my WWW site, I gave it the "Gold Projection Quality" award for 1998 and 1999. The manager has a lot of experience and goes that extra mile to keep everything in good working order.

[This message has been edited by Evans A Criswell (edited 03-14-2000).]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-14-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SANDY STARSHIP THEATRES: Auditorium 3, Best sound I have ever heard. This is due thanks to Mike Williams from Hale Centre Theatre in Salt Lake City, Utah. He is thier resident sound engineer and he came out and tweeked our DTS system so well it makes you sound like you are IN the movie itself.

CENTURY 16: Salt Lake City, Utah. Best seats. Very comfy rocker seats. Also best projection. Sound could use some work though.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2000 08:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Byrd Theatre (Richmond, VA.), Senator Theatre (Baltimore, MD.) - overall favorites

Cinerama Dome (Los Angeles, CA) - it's a dump, but the sound system is AWESOME!

Williamsburg Theatre (Williamsburg, VA) - I used to work there and I spent a lot of time in the audience before then...it has "charm" and shows good stuff; also recommended - Naro Expanded Cinema (Norfolk, VA.), which has similar programming and superior pix/sound quality, though not as nice an auditorium

Wang Theatre / fmr. Metropolitan Theatre (Boston, MA.) - rarely shows films, but is a really classy place...definitely recommended, esp. if they're showing 70mm.

AFI Theatre (Washington, DC) - usually shows good stuff; picture and sound quality are top-notch

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2000 08:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! I need to mention two more:

Uptown Theatre (Washington, DC) - top-notch picture/sound quality, perfect for "event" films

Cape Cineam (Dennis, MA) - great programming, neat theatre that looks like a church...cool booth, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2000 10:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few are:

CHINEESE #1: Hollywood,Ca: A really neat place to step back in time.

The CHICAGO THEATER: not equipped to run film anymore but a simply magnificent theater with a great pipe organ. Have seen a number of absolutely amazing silent film shows there with the organ acompanying.

CINERAMA DOME: Wasn't a dump last time I was there(to see Roger Rabbit)perhaps it is now since all the hoopla about tearing it up. Seeing that film there was a great experience.

ELGIN FOX #1: Elgin, Ill. Originally an independent theater, bought by, and probably ruined by Marcus by now. Century JJ 35/70 SN 102, Full blown CP-200 with 1/3 octave eq on the surrounds,SRD,DTS,you name it. Huge 5 channel THX system with full frontal baffle wall 60 feet wide by 28 feet tall. Also had the BGW M2200 subwoofer running on 240 vac!! A no holds barred sound system that I designed and installed. An article about it appeared in Film journal shortly after the theater opened.

REEL THEATERS:ONTARIO,OREGON #1 and #2. These identical theaters have full baffle walls and the JBL 5672 3 way speaker systems, tri-amped, dual JBL 4642 subs. All QSC power. Dolby SRD, and EX.
The effortless sound reproduction there is absolutely amazing.

EGYPTIAN THEATER: Boise,Idaho: This place just underwent a major renovation by a fanatic restoration architect that recreated every nuance that was originally there when it was built. Thank god Cineplex left and this happened!! Pretty good to see and hear a film, but the screen is a bit smallish for the size of the room, and the acoustics lack quite a bit. Still overall enjoyable though and the double procenium will knock you dead in your tracks. Has the Simplex 35/70 that was in the Seattle Cinerama Theater. SRD, and real Dolby EX. All QSC powered. I managed to sneak in a BGW M2200 there as well and its also powered by 240 vac.

There are alot more, The CHINEESE #2, CINESPHERE in Toronto, and of course last but not least the most important one: HIGHLANDS CINEMA in Kinmount, Ontario which boasts the most unique theater set up in the world. 5 theaters atached to the owners home and all surrounded by antique projection equipment,posters,lobby cards,etc. Expect to be blown away when you walk in the front door and plan on several hours just looking around the corridors, lobbys, and theaters filled with all this stuff. This collection is one of the largest in existance. A MIND BLOWER!! This guy does more buisness in a week during the summer than most large plexes do in a month. There have been numerous articles written about it. If interested contact me and I'll scan them for you.

Mark

Scott Hicks
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Scott Hicks   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Hicks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg Mueller:

But the Cinerama IS new!

My favorite was the Corvallis Cinema Center, a 4-plex with dual Motiographs in each booth - a real challenge to keep on screen. The owner scavenged used airline seats for the auditoriums - complete with snack tray and recliner button. Actually it was a dump, but I have fond memories.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 11:29 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The County Theater, Doylestown PA. Little 2 screen art house with fantastic Image quality and good film selections along with older film programs and short film festivals.
http://www.countytheater.com

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite theatre is the Uptown, in Washington DC.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 02:03 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite theatre is, of course, my theatre, the Draken in Göteborg, Sweden. It's got excellent (new!) sound, a huge screen, and an auditorium mostly intact since its Cinerama days.

Most other theatres around here that I love are closed (specifically a small one called Spegeln where I used to work), but the Victoria is still there even though it's a dump now.

A favourite of mine abroad is the Colosseum in Oslo, Norway, supposed to be the largest THX theatre in the world. I also like the Empire theatre in London.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: