Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » QSC Repairs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: QSC Repairs
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 01:49 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to send three QSC 1400s to QSC to repair problems. The good news is that when I get all three back I will have 2 spairs or 2 to make one auditorium stereo.

Before you all start ripping into QSC, let it be known that I inhearited these amps with this theatre and we don't know what kind of abuse they were subjected to.

My tech told me to call 1-800 QSC-Audio and order boxes and get an RA# so I could have them repaired. I did and I await the boxes.

He stated that, QSC prefers fixing their own amps so thay can upgrade any parts that need it. A local fix-it shop will not do that!

I thought this info might be of use, to the forum.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Welles
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 02:11 PM      Profile for Carl Welles   Email Carl Welles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC is an excellent amp, although the 1400 model is lacking in power. I've never had a need to repair one.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC amps are bullet proof
I have had only a dozen or so fail
8 of the 1400 serries when a steam pipe behind the rack broke
and some USA900's in a theatre hit by lightning and some MX serries that the fans failed
They have proven the most reliable amp I have used
beats the hell out of
Ashley (connectors and input pots and switches that go intermittent )
Crown DC serries that had a habit of going DC
and the Crown CE that just catch fire
Haffler they are always going back

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 06:29 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dealt with A LOT of QSC amps and haven't had a single problem with them. Oh wait I did have a green light go out on me once. But that is it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 07:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one QSC USA 900 that the filter caps literally blew out the tops and splooged electrolyte and cotton wadding all over the circuit board and burnt up a ic and resistor. I sent the amp back to QSC and it was promptly repaired and returned NO CHARGE!
It looked like brand new again. My hat's off to the folks at QSC---excellent product and great service! My advise to everyone is buy QSC---simply the BEST!

Scott Hicks
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 09:24 PM      Profile for Scott Hicks   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Hicks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

Those fires out the back of Crowns ARE irritating! I've had flame-outs on Haflers serving a low imp. load, say 7.9 ohms or lower. I agree with all the + comments on QSC, it's practically all we sell. I've installed tons of 1400, 900's with extremely few problems. I'm now starting to favor the DCA's (now that QSC figured out the ribbon cable defect).

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott:
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you visit here!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I like QSC's quality too. I did, however, loose a sub woofer in Novemeber and I'm still waiting for its return. I had to send it through our tech, so it still might be waiting shipping from his shop in Columbus, Ohio, for all I know (we hardly see him anymore). Still can't figure why it blew. I turn off the amps BEFORE cutting power in the fuse box, so as there is no loud pop in the subs, and I give the amps time to cool before cutting power. Some months ago there was debat on this site about the merits of turning the amps "on" and "off". I trust many of your comments were correct (especially Gordon McLeod's), but if I don't cut all power at the end of the night, eventually it will mean my job.

Just some thoughts . . .

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 11:38 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the hundresd of QSC amps I have used / sold, the return rate or repair rate is less than .01%! Always FAST returns! QSC is by far the top of the line when it comes to design,
dependability and customer support! Kudos QSC! Another near 'bullet-proof' amplifier
is the good old CS series from Peavey. lots out there with little problems...Watch out for TOA, still famous for noisy controls!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'll chime in now with my complete satisfaction for QSC amps. Personally, my favorite amp is the mx1500a, but they're all damn good in respect to quality, reliability and price. No other amp comes close in my opinion. It's ashamed there isn't a QSC rep on the forum.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-14-2000 01:04 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll follow Brad and chime in too about QSC. Changed to QSC from JBL (Junk But Loud) several tears ago. After over 2500 QSC amps only have had about 12 failures.
(Was going to change the "tears" typo to "years", but both apply....)

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 01:09 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The QSC amps are the only things in our theater that never break down or malfunction.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 01:22 AM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to alter the mood of this post, but I just talked to QSC today about problems we have been having with our DCA series amps. He asked me for the serial numbers of the amps that were giving us trouble and proceeded to tell me that any DCA amp manufactured before July '99 has a problem with one of its components and should be replaced. ALL of our 48 DCA amps were manufactured before this time which means (obviously) that we will have to replace all of these amps in the near future. I do have to say that they were very helpful and were eager to resolve this issue, but 48 faulty amps? Jeez!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2000 06:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had great sucess with QSC in the past 18 years. However, I've also had about the same luck with BGW and Crown for the most part. All these companies offer basically THE SAME quality service if you need it. I was on a job where the forklift driver put a fork right through the front of a Crown amp and the factory replaced it no questions asked. I can honestly say there have been only spotty problems along the way from any of these companies amps. If the system is poperly designed in the first place then you should have very little trouble at all. Most amp failures I have seen have been either in the surround channel, or the subs.
Yes, Stay away form those TOA's!! Definately noise central.
Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-14-2000 08:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the theater I'm working at now was made, every screen had (4) QSC 1400's; Then we added a two more when we got EX units. That came to 26 amps total.

In the first two years, we had about 5 of the amps become defective. I don't know exactly what the problems were (the red fail led would light.) We just sent them back.

I do think that that is a fairly high fall-out rate. But, it's been two years since the last one died, and they have performed quite well since. I guess once the bad ones weed themselves out, they are good amps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: