Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS 6D

Author Topic: DTS 6D
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2000 05:42 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently became a projection consultant to a another theatre and they are having a problem that I have not heard about before. This is what the head projectionist had to say. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

"I have a question concerning a DTS-6D unit. A previous projectionist had replaced all 3 drives in 2 of our units and now I have no response from either unit. During idle times when the unit is not being used the timecode light is on and the pickup light stays green at all times, as though it is reading a signal. In an idle state, the 'system' light should be on and the pickup should be off. I checked the SCSI ID's on the new drives and made sure the last drive was terminated. I did a visual check on the boot sequence with another unit that works and all seems fine. Is there a way to reset the RS-232 port that connects to the sound pickup? Could I have 2 faulty cards? Are there other diagnostics that I can run?"

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-12-2000 07:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps when the drives were changed, they did not replace them with the correct speed drive. If you put the TEAC 16x or 32x drives in, then you also have to install a new SCSI card, PROM board and PROM. You can literally purchase drives for $15 each (4x speed) and replace the bad ones and it will work fine, just as long as ID's, termination, and the speed are all correct.

If it is an older DTS-6D, it is likely that the drives are 4x speed. Can you determine the speed of the new drives? If they are made by Teac, they are too fast for the hardware.

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 04:18 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a similar problem. One of our drives doesn't work. I called DTS and they told me that since our machine was built they changed the drives and my only options were to find an identical drive at a used computer expo or buy their upgrade kit with 3 new drives, cards, etc. Is it possible to put in a same speed drive that is not necessarily identical to the broken one?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2000 05:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the drives must match the firmware
The cdrom driver and MSCDex are imbedded in a eprom and a bootup driver is on the scsi board
there is a manual on the download with the info of what drives work with which scsi board

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it seemed as if the problem I was having is now working. The problem on one of them is that there were 2 jumpers missing off of the timecode card. And on the other house that was having the problem there were 2 bad connections on the D536 board. (capacitors ripped out of socket) The person that replaced the drives awhile ago didn't know how to handle electronic equipment. Well thanks AGAIN film-techer's for all of your help. It is always greatly appreciated.

Joshua Lott

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: