Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Sony 8-Channel Logo

Author Topic: New Sony 8-Channel Logo
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2000 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Saturday NYT, there is a full-page ad on ERIN BROCKOVICH. In it is a new Sony SDDS logo that specifically mentions 8-channel.

About time, Sony. There are a significant number of 8-channel SDDS installations close to me (can you guess there are 86 AMC screens within 10 miles?), and at least I have a chance to find this in one of them.

Now, if the theatres that have it would just SAY SO!!!!!!!

I've heard the 8-channel before, and can really sound good (if the installation is good and the film not worn out --- I like to go opening weekends, although that guarantees nothing)

BTW, even with the AMC presence here, our best theatres are from MARCUS, with 2 houses including an IMAX. They do an outstanding job with presentation.

Anyway, its good to be able to get at least some info on 8-channel.

I do not endorse the SDDS system in general, because of its many problems, but when the 8-channel is working right, it can sound quite good.

Mark Lensenmayer

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-12-2000 11:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
typically AMC hasn't installed the 5 screen channels in most of the newer theatres that I have worked on.
But then I don't know how well 5 channels of "HIT'S" above the screen would sound. It is bad enough looking up every time someone speaks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-12-2000 01:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are eight 8-channel films slated for release in the near future...

Erin Brockovich (Universal)
Charlie's Angles (Columbia)
U-571 (Universal)
Vertical Limit (Columbia)
All the Pretty Horses (Columbia/Miramax)
Hollow Man (Columbia)
The 6th Day (Columbia/Phoenix)
The Patriot (Columbia)

Still heavy with "in-house" product we will see by the time the summer releases come out.

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-12-2000 07:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have heard from several other individuals, AMC installs identical speakers for Left, Center, and Right channels. But they use a smaller speaker for the LC and RC channels!

That can't sound too great. Anyone have more info about this?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 07:53 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, When the did the installation at the AMC Grand (Aka the Grind), They had 8 screens out of 24 that were setup for 8 channel, they used identical EAW speakers for the stage channel but with smaller amps for the Le and Re channels. Anyone care to guess the TOTAL ammount of surrount speakers they installed in each auditorium? 2 only 1 on each side. THAT was a nightmare to EQ.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: