Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Masking Material

Author Topic: Masking Material
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2000 02:09 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a suggestion on masking material for the sides. I have fixed, solid masking for scope prints but I have film that goes all the way down to 1:33, so I need masking that I can move in. Here's the question. What can I use for masking material that will be transparent to the sound so the room EQ won't change when the masking covers the left and right speakers? Some kind of material, I figure, but what kind?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2000 04:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several THX approved materials that are acoustically transparent
Also some people use speaker grill cloth
It is a good idea to make the leading edge of the masking of a heavy black commando to give the crisp edge

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2000 01:40 AM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if this is the proper name, but we call the acustically invisible fabric we use "Sharks tooth."

Hope that helps

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2000 08:52 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a THX web page that has all the certified stuff on it, or do you have to find each manufacturer and see if they're certified? Does any one know where I can get "Sharks Tooth" material

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-12-2000 11:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive Melfabo fabrics in Newyork sells it
also I believe Harkness Hall has a fabric as well

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 02:23 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I need a suggestion on masking material for the sides

Doesn't the law require it to be fireproof?

Remember the Iroquois.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an 8 seat private screening room.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 08:53 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DUM-dum
DUM-dum
DUM-dum
DUM
DAAAAAAH DAAAAAAH DAAAAAAH
DA-DA
DUM-dum
DUM-dum
DUM-dum
DUM

(Theme Music from 2001)

I'm an Expert!

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 09:29 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS! im right after you, but i still need around 19 posts before im there

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-14-2000 08:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went through this last summer at Mercyhurst.

We used black SCRIM to mask the sides. The two inside edges of the scrims are made of Duvetine (sp?) Commando cloth is a good choice, too. There is a "Pipe pocket" in the bottom to weigh them down so they don't wave around, etc. They are fireproof. They were custom made by a theatre (stage) supply house. (Syracuse Stage & Scenery) I think they cost about $600.

Check out Mercyhurst in the Pic. Warehouse. You can see the masking around the screen looks transparent. That's becasue the backstage lights were on. Rest assured, when the lights go down you can't see through it. (It's a "black art" thing.)

Our masking/screen are hung on the fly system. The screen is on line 6 and the masking is on line 5. That way they can be moved independantly. If we want to change formats, we untie the scrims and slide them back and forth on the pipe. We have the pipe spiked (marked) with all the formats. We have 1.85, 2.35 & 1.33 now, but it's all just a matter of measuring for others like 1.65, etc. (Lenses and apertures are another thing...)

We considered using common width masking. If we did, all we'd have to do is move line 5 up and down to change the format. We decided aginst that. Common height is better!

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was doing a budget job in my own basement I had a small length of the Harkness material which is very good. However, in one of these low cost fabric houses where they have a lot of short ends, I found something called "Robing Velour". The sort of stuff from which they make cheap bath robes and the like. It was acoustically more transparent than the Harkness material and absorbed the spill light better than either the Harkness or regular Duvatine. I am sure that it would never meet fire codes, and I would guess that it would be too light weight for a drape of more than 10 feet or so (i.e., it would probably sag).

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: