Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Tech Directory

Author Topic: Film-Tech Directory
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea for Film-Tech. I think that a member directory would be useful. I have visited another web page called 1570.com, and the webmaster created a directory. It is a web page dedicated to 70mm film. He lets the members e-mail information about themselves and even a picture if they so desire, and posts them. This way you could have easy access to other members e-mails and learn more about them.

I think you should all check out his page and see what you think. The only problem about his page is that outsiders(people not in the 70mm field) aren't much welcome it seems. I was searching for pages dedicated to projection several years back, before film-tech existed(or before I knew it did)and I found his page. I tried to add my info to the page and he said he only wanted 70mm folks on his page. Whatever! I also asked him for some help on getting into the Cedar Point IMAX in Sandusky, Ohio. I figured that since I am from Sandusky, and their IMAX was his first job in the field that he might know someone, but he never even replied to my e-mail.

Anyhow he had a good idea with the directory. I just thought that I would suggest it.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2000 07:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone can read the 1570.com posts and look up information in the directory but they can't post
It is a dedicated site for people in the large format industry and he trys very hard to keep it current and with the information that people in that area of the industry need
Don't knock it Just like Film-tech is for professionals in the regular exhibiton industry.
I don't think it would be appreciated if this became Snackbar-tech.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2000 10:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I must agree with Gord. If this forum suddenly became "what's the best corn?" then it wouldn't be near as helpful to the projectionists and engineers out there in the field.

I'll have to look into some form of directory.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2000 05:39 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'All those people in the 70mm field' is this forum for 70mm collectors? not many people make there living with 70mm today.

BTW Brad, the function 'Search by User Name' does not seem to work properly.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2000 06:31 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
I apologize if I struck a nerve. I agree with what you are saying. I was just a little peeved at his response and felt like I wasn't "good enough" for their industry. At that time I was trying DAMN hard to get into the IMAX at Cedar Point. But they kept re-hiring the same people every year and I wanted to get to know more about that format. I also figured that being on the page would give me a better crack at getting into the industry and making better contacts in the field.

Anyhow that is all in the past and I was just blowing off steam. The whole point for the thread wasn't to argue if Brian was right or wrong, but to just make a suggestion. I thought that he had a good idea. I see that Brad has added some information next to everybody's name. Thanks Brad. Not to be picky, but is there a way to get someone's e-mail address in case you want to send a message that you don't want posted on the forum?

Joshua Waaland

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2000 08:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a specific Imax booth you want to visit use the 1570 industry directory (you don't have to be a member to search it) and email the projectionist in question and most will give a tour
If in Toronto give me a call

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2000 11:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Click on the "who" icon at the top of the person's post to retrieve their email address.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-14-2000 12:47 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin...
...Ummmmm... I earn my living in the 70mm format... mostly 870 and 1570 but also 570... oh, and 435 and (god forgive me) HDTV and digital cinema.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 04:41 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, well i was mostly thinking of movie production as the last feature film to be photographed in 65mm was 'Hamlet' and that is some time ago Will IMAX not be the only industri today in large format?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2000 06:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gord,
I think you should have an international Film-Tech party at the Cinesphere booth. This would allow all non 15 perf people to see what a REAL Imax booth is like. Its a pretty cool booth and has Imax projector #1 and a really nice pair of DP-70's. We could stay up all night and watch every film in the building! Not to mention the refreshments.
Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Gulbrandsen (edited 03-14-2000).]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2000 11:17 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could probably put every one to work carrying all the IMAX prints up from the basement and then send some of you out to do service calls so I could stay and show them all

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 02:49 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
WOW am I blind! I just never really payed much attention to those little icons before. Well isn't that nifty?! Thanks Brad.

Joshua Waaland

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: