Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemark and Film Guard

Author Topic: Cinemark and Film Guard
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2000 07:48 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I wish that you would get a hold of Cinemark and tell them all the benefits of Film Guard. Unfortunately it is hard enough to get them to buy parts for our machines let alone buy Film Guard. Besides they never listen to their "USHER-B's" anyhow. What do we know. If Film Guard does all that you say it does, I would love to try it. Convicing Cinemark is a different story though.
Our prints have been shedding like a dog lately. HELP!!!! WE NEED FILM GUARD!!!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our bottle of Film Guard was sent to us by Loyd Lano at MTS (Media Technical Services-tech guys who do all the stuff we don't know how too). I don't know if this was put on our 'account' or if it was a freebie. Loyd highly recomended it, which is good enough for me.

Unfortunately, we don't have media rollers, and the way things are right now I'm not even going to ask for some becuase I know we won't get them (if I ticked off the list of all the projector problems that haven't been fixed you die of shock).

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2000 09:52 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me, Brad has been doing all that he can with Cinemark Purchasing to get the product into the company.

I also work for Cinemark in Plano TX and we have a Director at our location too. I have approached him as has my Booth Manager trying to explain and demonstrate the benefits.

This week we are going to see if we can buy direct from a local distributor and reimburse through petty cash. My manager said it would be no problem getting re-imbursed. You may want to check this out also.

The print of Pitch Black is shedding like a Dog and I have no more FilmGuard to use.

We were able to get two bottles directly from Brad when the product was first available for use. Thank You Brad. Now it is a matter of "sneaking" it in through petty cash.

We also have had a problem getting Christie Autowind brackets because we already have cleaner brackets on all our projectors. Trouble is that they were installed under the CAT-701 heads and we haven't wanted to go through and put them on top and change the Dolby offset. Easy I know, but our tech is sensitive about changing things like this.

Paul Konen
Cinemark Legacy 24

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-08-2000 11:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to sneak very much at all to get it through petty cash. Just do it. As long as you follow the rules of petty cash.... Less than "X dollars" and you have a valid receipt, etc. ... there's not much more you need to do.

If they DO complain, whip out your raincheck/refund logs. Point to the number ZERO at the bottom of the page. If that doesn't convince them, nothing will!

We have not had ONE brainwrap all winter long! (Except for one caused by platter malfunction and one caused by a new trainee)
You're talking about a place that used to averave 8-10 a month... Sometimes even more!
What's the reason? 1) We pay better attention to our work. 2) FilmGuard. (Not necessarily in that order! )

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-28-2006 02:40 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2363 days since the last post.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 02:40 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the new Cinemark/Century acquisition a possibility by as soon as the end of October, will the Century side of things continue its relation with Film-Guard? I’m very worried. I'd really hate to loose the benefits of this neat liquid. Current Cinemark projectionists: can you guys use film-guard?

edit: Woah, forgot the segway.. 6 years later?

[ 08-28-2006, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 08:04 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my days with Cinemark we were buying it locally from the NCS branch in town. The people who processed petty cash had no clue what is was and never said a word.. We had to stop, unfortunately, when our engineer started making issues about it to the region leader.

It was kind of odd when we had to stop using it. I was in the GM's office getting yelled at about it by the engineer and the region leader, meanwhile, at the exact same time, the region booth trainer was in the next room telling my crew how lucky we were because we got to use it. Of course, when that was pointed out to our RL, we were told to stop arguing... [Roll Eyes]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-02-2006 09:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall the story correctly, Cinemark's position on FilmGuard has nothing to do with the product itself and everything to do with holding grudges. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. Or delete this post if I'm dredging something up that should be left buried. [Wink]

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I had always understood it to be David.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 11:55 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thats a real shame. Regardless, with the way things have been going here if I get requested to stop using it, it's audios to this place. I've tried so hard to get presentation up to just my standards (no scratched prints, and clean!) but with 18 screens and 5 other booth workers who just "don't see the point" its killing me. Not to mention an hourly pay rate thats less then one ticket. I truly love movies and projection, but I'm just not sure how much longer I can keep this up. It just gets more pathetic with each theater I go to. "We're a movie theater... why would we care how the movies look?"

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-03-2006 01:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is 100% political.

But don't worry. All you have to do is take petty cash and buy a postal money order. Log it in as "Booth Supplies". Use the money order to buy the FG by mail. Have it sent to your home address. When the package arrives, take it out of the box and bring it to work.

If you do it quietly and don't make waves nobody will say anything to you... Strictly "Don't ask. Don't tell."

I did it this way for a couple of years.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2006 02:15 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Filmguard. I'm glad, it doesn't seperate, and it's in a good bottle setup. C-lube is good too, but it seperates, so you have to shake it up, and it's in small bottles with flimsy pumps. Havenlt ever tried xecote. We do have a full can of Rennovent or restovent, or something like that. It's in a metal can, and has standard warnings, and it could deplete the ozone layer and cause children with 3 eyes, and make you see stuff, etc. It's crazy. I've not used it, and I suspect its been in there a while. I'm not sure what Regal uses officially, or what we're authorized to use or where we get it. I still have a full bottle, and 1/2 of the bottle I'm currently using of FG, so I have plenty of time not to worry. And if all fails, and I run out of time, I have 1 can of the toxic/radioactive film cleaner.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: