Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Showest Awards Are A Joke!

Author Topic: Showest Awards Are A Joke!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2000 04:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how you all feel but I've always thought the Showest awards that are handed out every year are really a joke. Seems like some CEO of some large schlockey chain always ends up winnging the top award for reasons unbeknownst to all of us.
At least this year there is ONE worthwhile award that will be given out and that is to conductor John Williams. The rest of them are certainly pointless at best.
Gee, wouldn't it be nice if someone worthwhile got it instead of some worthless person that lets their theaters get decrepid and fall apart, never cleans them,and doesn't pay their employees a descent wage.
I'm sure there is that someone out there, but Showest doesn't seem to be able to find them! If they can't find someone soon they should rename the award the Schmuckwest award of the year.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-06-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'll take one of those awards... I'm kinda tired of this pet rock paperweight.

Seriously, it's all politics of course. That's all anything like that is.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like someone has never won anything before.

You are right, most awards are a joke. They are just a way to keep score. Or they are a way to show our apriciation.

But last year I was dying to see Cathrine Zeta-Jones in person.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2000 09:01 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't ShoWest give an award to Joel Schumacher last year or the year before? I just laughed when I saw that in Boxoffice. Perhaps Alan Smithee should get a lifetime achievement award for his longevity in the industry and large body of work, as he's a better director than Schumacher. I'll bet Pauly Shore and Adam Sandler have these on their mantle, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2000 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, Believe me, after you've been on location with over 30 features you definately are not dying to see anyone of celluoid fame! Not even Catherine. And then to see those god awful Showorst awards given out??####&&! Argh. Come on now....those guys don't have a clue how to run a theater.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: