Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Training Procedures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Training Procedures
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 12:33 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on regarding training projectionists? How do you go about it? I personally do a show and tell the first day, getting them used to the equipment and terms. Then I gradually let the person getting trained do more. Do you have training manuals set up for them? I have a stack of "reading material" which includes the manuals, splicing tips, company policies and stuff like that. I work with 16 Strong Super Highlight Lamp Houses with Millenium Heads. 11 houses have CP500's. 4 houses have DTS 6AD's. And one house has a DA20 (Penthouse 701 reader) and the Sony 3000. All have CNA 150 Automations. I have been training projectionists for awhile now, but I am always looking to improve the quality of my staff, and presentation. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 01:43 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet you work at that new Century 16 in Anchorage. How's it going?

You are on the right track as far as training goes. Those that show interest and read your stack of liturature will probably do well and those who don't will suck. Turn them on to Film-Tech and see if they groove on it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-04-2000 02:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I show them once how to thread going very slowly and explaining how everything works in the process. Then I ask them to give it a shot, reminding them that I do not expect them to get it anywhere close to correct. As they thread the machines, I go back and tell them "you've got 4 problems" and make them figure it out, using logic and simple reasoning.

I find if they struggle through it a bit at the start, they have to learn why and how things work. Generally the newbies aren't too crazy about that form of training, but they all tell me after the fact that they feel they learned more.

Oh yes, I give 'em 3 shifts. If they don't have it "basically" down in that time frame, they're out (unless that person is really just dying to learn). Tasks other than simple threading get extra time to train. This is my policy as 99% of truly good operators can pick it all up quick. Having a set time span also helps to get their attention, as many trainees are just looking for a way out of the concession stand and think the booth is an easy job.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 03:07 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the first question: No, I work at the Regal Goldstream 16 in Fairbanks, Alaska. What made you think Century?

And to Brad I have seen that 'I want to get out of concession' attitude but that normally shows through very quickly, and those employees are quickly put back down to the floor.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-04-2000 03:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I follow the same basic strategy as Brad, making the trainee find their own mistakes. Usually I'll just say "You might want to double check the thread" or "You made a mistake on that one" and let them look at the film path until they find out what mistake(s) they have made. =

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 01:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the Century 16 in Anchorage. I didn't know that Regal had one in Fairbanks. Have you seen the sun yet? I'll bet the seniors up there don't complain about driving after dark. Must be strange in the Summer to stuble out at the end of a double to see the sun shining.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 05:42 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian: Right now we are getting about 12 hours of daylight, increasing by about 7 minutes a day. And yes it is extremely strange for it to be dark constantly in the winter, and light all day(and night)long in the summer. What I think is more intersting is how funny it was to try and open a 16 screen theatre when it was -40 F out side. I tell you bringing in stage speakers and surrounds at -40 can really do bad things to you. So what made you come to Alaska? Where is your theatre located at?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 07:06 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to go to Anchorage to do a one day install. They gave me three days to do it so I played. I took a boat trip off of Seward. I went flying with Vern.

2 summers ago I was in Larado TX for an install and it was 117 Degrees F. I called my boss on the cell phone and told him that this sucks and that they would probably send me to Alaska in the winter time. They did. I went in December. It was great. I had a blast.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 08:15 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian: So I take it you used to work for Century? If you went up there on the install then you probably know Kevin? I worked with him in Fairbanks at our 9 screen before he went to Anchorage. That 9 screen has been since shut down, and is now a beautiful 16 screen theatre. I may be able to post some pics of the old and new theatre, but I will try and get permission first. Oh BTW if you ever make to Alaska in the Summer it is so nice(and warm).

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2000 09:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I never worked for Century. I did install a video wall in the Century 16 in Aurora, CO. I was an AV installer. I was up there on a non-theatrical job. I don't know anybody who works for Century.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2000 09:51 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trained by the above methods that Joe and Brad mentioned,and boy,do you learn. You make a mistake once and learn from it. When I started,I threaded the path correctly,put the sound track on the wrong side! Having to fix that and the embarrassment made sure it never happened again! (yes,it did hit the screen before caught,thank goodness only 3 or 4 people for that one.

--Chris

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2000 08:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian-

Were you that big guy helping me install the video wall at the Century 16 in Aurora, CO?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I was the big guy who was paying you to sit around and twiddle your thumbs while Clifton did something or ruther.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2000 10:39 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My training was basicly what Brad described. I was assinged to a projectionist as a 'shadow' for several shifts and in the end I was more or less ready to go.

That's basicly how I have trained people in myself. I start them off on loading projectors. Once they have that down we can think about moving on to bigger and better things like tearing down and building film .

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-06-2000 12:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have trained people in two different atmospheres. One at a 17-screen googolplex and the other at a college theatre.

At the googolplex, I train pretty much like everybody else. At the college I do things a little differrent. When work studies come in, the first few times they don't do a whole lot. I show them how the projector works and put them to work doing chores and stuff. They clean the platter, rollers and the outside of the projector. Once the do that I have them wind up old trailers and stuff like that. From there it all depends on how well they do at other tasks and how much interest they have.

One guy (Mike B.) is pretty much the Right-Hand man. One girl is the "Official Print Breaker-Downer". Another new girl seems to like taking care of organizing stuff. After a while I expect to have a whole bunch of people who "specialize" in different things so that everything gets done right. I also try to make sure that each person knows how to do enough of the other jobs that we're not "dependent" on one person.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: