Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Matrix Reprisal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Matrix Reprisal
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-02-2000 11:49 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else here getting Matrix for another run? With it getting four academy award nominations, a few select theaters in New York and Los Angeles are getting a second run for The Matrix. I was able to book a copy of it as well for my little podunk theater out here in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Personally I thought it was one of the best films ever made, and when you put it on a huge screen and blast peoples ears out with a top notch sound system, there is NO compromise.

Just curious if anyone else is snagging this film...

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-03-2000 01:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the girl who played Switch? (the blonde in the main group). Well, as you may well know, this film was filmed in Sydney, Australia.

The girl's real name is Belinda McClorey and she was the manager of the cinema I was working at at the same time The Matrix was being filmed.

By day she would be playing opposite Keanu Reeves and Larry Fishbourne and by night she would be scooping Choc Top ice creams behind the concession stand.

Both ends of the cinema industry in a single day...

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2000 02:14 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Are you getting any coop advertising for Matrix? What are you doing to market it?

Ky is of the opinion that you will not make any money with it. I say, go for it! I'd give you $7 to see it on the big screen again. Ky thinks that because it is on video that you won't do well.

I hope you do well.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-03-2000 10:41 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "The Matrix" again on Feb. 29. I too have great respect for this film far beyond the ear and eye candy it provides. It's a great film, full of great concepts, good writing and acting, and production design that can't be beat, both in CGI and real design. In some ways it fills in some of the concepts that Kubrick intended to cover in the never-to-be-made "A.I." ("Artificial Intelligence") he had proposed back in the 1970's, but didn't since the technology to make what he wanted didn't exist at that time.

Not many people saw Larry and Andy Wachowski's "Bound" from 1996, but it signaled that these guys can make a great movie. I expect that sometimes in the future, "The Matrix" will be considered one of the finest films to come out of the last half of the 20th Century. Remember too that a sequel is being worked on right now.

But as a booker, I, like Ky, don't think it has many legs ten months after its theatrical release and now that the video and DVD are available. But let us know how it did for you on this forum 'cause bookers are always looking for films that you can bring back and do business. We love being surprised!

BTW, "American Beauty" has legs. We played it three times last year and it did well for all three runs. This was long before the awards were piled on it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-03-2000 10:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to think that I was the only one who was unimpressed with The Matrix. Sure, it was worth seeing, but I wouldn't put it on my "greatest films of all time" list.

On the other hand, "Bound" was great; it was one of the best films of '96.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-03-2000 01:45 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Ky is not alone in thinking it will not do well. However when we dumped it five months ago it was still pulling no less than 70 per show. The demand to bring it back here has been huge. As far as coop from WB they wont budge unless we make the ticket price 7 bucks, but we are set to make it just three bucks. I agree Ian that many would pay that much to see it again, but I am not that daring. We have to dole out a measely 38 percent back to WB with a $325 guarantee, so I am not too terribly worried. Besides, I would gladly pull that money out of my own but to run it even if NO ONE came to see it.

We are going to hang up poster size flyers all over our community letting people know we have it back and for just one week, and that it is an exclusive engagement (not too many times you can say that these days). You put the fear that they may never see it again in the theatres and they swarm like bees on honey.

As for whomever it was that was unimpressed with the Matrix as a film, to each his own. But you have to be in awe of the technical boundaries that it crossed during its creation. It was this film that will inspire an entire new generation of film makers.

------------------

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2000 01:51 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would loooooove to get The Matrix back because we never got a chance to run it through FilmGuard when we last had it. You know those scenes when Keanu and Lawrence were standing in front of a completely white background? What better way to show off how clean your print is! Especially if the print was used when you got it.

We recently got a rerelease of The Insider. The used print we got was filthy. Two-minute warning? Nope, we're talking a four minute warning. But with FilmGuard, the print was almost completely cleaned up by the end of the first weekend. Unfortunately, we lost the print after only one week's run (cause nobody came to see it), but it turns out that's all it needed. The print was perfect when it left.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2000 05:35 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed "The Matrix" because of its quirky, offbeat style, but it sometimes suffered from plot flaws (human beings as batteries?), hokey new-age wisdom, and unrealistic effects. To be sure, most sci-fi movies suffer from plot flaws and unrealistic effects, to me the result of writers, directors, and graphic artists that don't know much science and are unconcerened with making amazing adventures realistic and sleek machines functional.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2000 08:17 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Norwood: You are NOT alone...

I felt that David Cronenberg's 'eXistenZ' did a far better job at exploring the themes that 'The Matrix' wanted to be about - it was also a more involving and hypnotic experience for me. Of course, the Cronenberg version is not an 'action' film, so...

'The Matrix' was also too derivative. It borrowed heavily from 'The Terminator', 'A Nightmare on Elm St.', 'The Thing', and especially 'Total Recall'. All of these are far superior films in my opinion. They were more original and better excecuted, with more reliance on original ideas.

Also, it suffered from overexposition: the middle of the film featured Lawrence Fishburne in a never-ending explanation of the plot (to the audience and to Kneau Reeves). Don't tell us - show us. By contrast, 'The Terminator' used a page of expository text at the beginning, and a brief scene in the carpark (2 minutes tops?). For the most part, the audience is as much in the dark as the protagonist, which is a very good thing - it's more involving this way.

So there you have it - not all 'batteries' enjoyed the Matrix.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-04-2000 03:01 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know what to say to respond to these rather sterile and disparaging reviews of the Matrix. Funny thing is I have seen nearly ten thousand movies in my life and comparatively, I found very litte that matches up to the Matrix. It could be that I actually went in to enjoy the film and I never care if they steal from another film. A great author once said, "plaugerism is the highest form of flattery". All directors plaugerize from others, you actually have to have seen all movies ever made to realize it. Even Cronenberg steals from the best. Its part of life, you take what works and go with it. Its what makes life so interesting, you wait and see what joe blow number 2 will do with what number 1 didnt. Its why we go to the movies, to be amazed, dazzled, impressed, and overall, entertained.

------------------

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 03-04-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Dave, how is Matrix doing at the box office? Curious minds want to know. Maybe we should say its really an art film and run it here...at least it could be more of an art film than The 9th Gate, which Artisan is currently pressuring me to take...but that's another story. Ky

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-04-2000 09:49 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our copy wont come in until 3/10. However advance sales are already taking off. Of the possible 9100 tickets available for the week we have pre-sold about 400 (started today). We expect to sell out just about every show, and raise about 10 grand in DESPERATELY NEEDED capital. The response has been great so far but I will keep you updated on just how well it does.

------------------

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 03:07 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Dave,

Fess up. Matrix has been on your screen a week. How did it do? We want Attendance, Grosses and PerCap, if you can.

Ian & Ky

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-16-2000 04:51 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an unfortunate circumstance that just killed The Matrix showing. We had done some pretty good marketing and sold many tickets in advance, and then the disaster.

1. Our booker decided to overbook our theatre and shoved matrix to only one show per day. This while he still insisted he get his huge fee. We had to refund all of the presold tickets.

2. Our DTS system took a vacation, and we blew out our last exciter bulb. All of our spares turned out to be burned out. Hence the need for a new projectionist. Last I looked we threw the old ones out and ordered new ones. So we lost two shows.

3. As far as total attendance, we had just a mere 315 to date. Just barely enough to pay for the print and delivery. The percaps were great on that particular show. About 3.50 per attendee. So it wasn't a complete loss.

4. I actually got fed up with our company's procedures and packed up my stuff and went out the door. I still have partnership issues to contend with, but for all intents and purposes, "I QUIT THE PLAY" (running gag from a theater production here in SLC, UT). I am still here, but purely in an advisory capacity. We were supposed to open a stage prodution this week, but the owner of the building pulled his support saturday afternoon. Of course I am the one holding the bag.

5. I cannot say if I will actually continue here much longer, other than to produce some stage shows. The stress of trying to compete with a theater that is just 60 feet from my door has totally wreaked havoc on what is left of my brain. I love my work but cant keep up this schedule much longer.

So the matrix did not pay off, but we have much to blame for it, but mostly in hindsite, I blame myself for not insisting on many things and sticking to it. I myself am deciding whether or not to pack it in and give up, with one competitor 60 feet from my door and a megaplex just less than a mile from my back door. Our desire to turn this place into a dinner theater looks promising, but I just wont hold my breath anymore, starting to turn purple I am.

So ramble on I go, into the summer heat, fresh from the winter snow... HOHOHO...

(I REALLY NEED A BEER, WITH A FILM-GUARD CHASER)!!!!!

------------------

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 03-16-2000 06:24 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, fun with exciter bulbs. Had some of that myself last week while Ian was at ShoWest. We had a somewhat panicked phone call (Thank goodness Ian was where I could get him on his cell on the tradeshow floor), but I now know how to change an exicter lamp bulb and where we keep them.

Dave, you have my sympathy... I can totally understand your frustration. I do, however have a couple of questions. 1) Who is your booker? 2) Why is your booker setting showtimes? Here in Santa Rosa we have a booker too, but I have final approval over everything they do and I set the schedule. I'd definitely get a knew projectionist, but I'd also take a good hard look at your relationship with your booker...it sounds like that is the source of some of your problems. E-mail me at kboyd@rialtocinemas.com and I can be more specific regarding booking stuff. Hang in there...take a day off before you totally bow out. Ky

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: