Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What theater is a dump? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What theater is a dump?
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2000 11:42 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What theaters do you know of that are dumps? Filthy, disgusting, etc.

In my area these are THE WORST:
Regal Cinemas SOUTHSHORE MALL, Aberdeen, Wash

Regal Cinemas CINEMA 3, Centralia, Wash.

Those two are both reek from the filth.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2000 01:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC:
Westminster Promenade 24
Highlands Ranch 24
Seven Hills 10
Tiffany Plaza 6
(AMC only has 4 theatres in town)

United Artists:
Thornton Town Centre 10
Denver Pavillions 15 (yuck!)

Mann:
Green Mountain 6
Union Square 6
Cherry Creek 8
Festival 6
Tamarac Square 6
Southwest Plaza 5

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2000 05:47 AM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey what is this beat up or Regal theaters forum?

------------------
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2000 07:26 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I work at used to be a complete dump until it was renovated in '98. Now it's the best one around.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2000 11:01 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crossroads 12 (CEC) in Waterloo, IA used to be pretty brutal, but we remodeled the place and there's not many that compare around here anymore. but there are a couple of auditoriums that still pretty much suck. just different soundfold on the walls pretty much.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2000 11:39 AM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken what about the G theatre in Mossyrock, WA ?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2000 11:55 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Dallas:
AMC Grand 24 (site of a double murder) as well as being just dirty and poorly maintained. Its also just a few miles away from the Strip clubs and cat houses, so the area around it isn't too hot either.
AMC Prestonwood 5 (now closed) used to be considered the WORST theatre in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.
Loews Chisolm, and Loews Park Preston, simply because they have those HORRIBLE seats.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2000 01:46 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per a buddy of mine who works at the place...Regal Cinemas, MN...terrible masking problems, peach fuzz growing on the apeture plates, very dirty prints--many scratched too, poorly functioning automation (lights go UP at policy?!?), highly incompetent projection staff -- less than a year old (the theater--not the staff, tho I could see where confusion may occur).

The funny thing is...the GM came over to my theater, which is about 4-5 miles away and was bragging about how his new theater would steal most of our business. We don't have cushy stadium seating, we charge a dollar more the door and $.50 to $1.00 more at the concession stand, but we kick their *** every day of the week at the box office by thousands. By well over 10,000 on weekends.

I know, I rip on Regal alot. And I know there are Regals with projectionists (and even GMs) who care...I commend you. But after seeing this place and the fact one of their (almost) brand new theaters has already turned into one of the worst dumps in the area... That and news that they are builing a 20-screen plex and expecting an operator to run all 20 screens by his or herself per shift for a pathetic $7.50/hr. Sorry, but one bad apple spoiled the whole damn bunch, for me.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2000 11:02 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wait, here's another one - Cinema IV Theatre at College Square, Cedar Falls IA. it's basically the main 'competitor' (if it can be called that) of Crossroads 12 (above). nasty nasty seats (they're even new). the old ones used to sort of recline. they were either straight up or way slouched. no middle ground. the masking is horrible. the projectionist can't tell the difference between flat and scope (flat trailers, scope movie, do the math). that's not a problem if you have a turret of course, but they don't, and they wouldn't know how to use it anyway. plus, if you get one of their movies it's got all these damn Honda and Nascar ads on it along with a mangled version of the 'un'attatched trailer. in closing, they suck.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2000 01:05 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
London Square Cinema Six, Eau Claire, WI
Localy operated, which isn't nescessarily bad. Theater really sucks though. Staff, auditoriums, everything. The worst part about it is they're our only competition and they are killing us. Why? Bookings. Carmike should be able to squash these guys but I don't they even care.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-08-2000 04:10 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am afraid I have to add MY OWN THEATRE to the list of trashy theatres. Reason is that we have been here 19 years and so far as I can tell little to no maintenance has been done since opening. I even recieved hate mail about how trashy the place is and that they would never return.

So what am I doing about it? Good question. Until recently not very much. My partner in crime has been rather tight on the budget and has refused any payment to vendors and servicemen, so most of the work is done by myself. Good thing I know how to use a glimshafter and a rodthingamajigeroo. Otherwise i would be in real trouble!

Actually we are in the process of refurbishing the intire location. So far I have overhauled most of our projection equipment and replaced all of our reflectors and lamps, had the lenses reground, began using FILMGAURD, the god of all chemicals, installed one and soon a second DTS system, and soon two dolby cp500 units. We will be overhauling whats left of our 20 year old seats as there is no way in hell we can afford new ones.

Soon we paint over the grey and baby blue and PINK walls, using a cool midnight blue and stopsign red color combination. We are installing a new stage and begining live stage shows on the 17th (wish me luck). I admit the place still reeks, but it will take time and by summer we will install a full service kitchen as we are getting a restaraunt liqour liscence so we can serve ACTUAL FOOD WITH BEER AND OTHER DELICACIES. This will be the place to be.

I took before pictures six months ago, I should have brad post them so you can see what I have had to work with.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2000 10:09 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Loews seats are incredibly bad. I think they were described in a previous post as either straight up-down or reclined.

I would have to vote for those in Dallas.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2000 10:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst theater of all time (that I've personally seen)?...the ex-AMC Prestonwood 5 in Dallas.

Worst theater seats of all time? The medieval torture devices at the Loews Chisholm 5 in Plano.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2000 12:31 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a scary thought...
I've heard the AMC Forum 5 over in Ft. Worth is just as bad as the Prestonwood ever was, and its still open!

I would HOPE that the presentation was considered to be slightly bettered during my time at the Prestonwood. To my knowledge no prints were scratched, and only 1 print was damaged, and that was due to a problem with a projector ( the state of the projectors was VERY poor).

I think Sony (Loews) owned stock in the company that manufactured those midevil torture devices they call seats, All of the older theatres have them... At least here in the D/FW area? Any word from the rest of the US?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2000 01:21 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of "dumps": there is a theatre in Decatur, AL that was originally a Fairlane/Litchfield theatre (opened in 1982). Carmike took it over around 1990 and built 4 new auditoriums, doubling the size of it in 1992. It appears that nothing has been done to maintain the theatre in many years. Most of their projectors need serious work done on them and the cosmetic condition of the facility is poor, and there are some serious roof leaks. If I were to choose a theatre in my area to call a "dump", this would be the one. I listed the gory details at http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/generated_subpages/facilities/st72a-c8.html . I've heard many horror stories about their booth from previous employees. The city manager for Carmike told me that four new projectors were going to be put in to replace the 1982 ones, and that cosmetic improvements would be made, but I'll believe it when I see it. This is the "dump" in my area. By sharp contrast, Carmike built a top-notch theatre in Huntsville, and has kept it up very well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: