Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Favorite Oscilloscope?

Author Topic: Favorite Oscilloscope?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2000 11:31 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's everyone's favorite oscilloscope for doing tune-ups?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-26-2000 02:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 60MHz dual trace Leader
I can't remeber the model but it is the very small one

Patrick S. Chaffins
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2000 11:15 PM      Profile for Patrick S. Chaffins   Email Patrick S. Chaffins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a B&K Precision Model 2125, 20 mhz dual trace.
It's not the smallest in the world, however I like the bigger display, (they saw the eyes are the first to go, damm bi-focals).
Used to use an old Tektronics 100mz model and it drove me nuts because of all the lowband police traffic around here. (My theatre is only 650 feet as the crow flies from the county sheriff's 1kw transmitter at 51.5mhz, the solar cells were sending a signat of about 450mv at that freq!!!) Also until about 15 years ago we have to deal with the radar from Selfridge AFB that just about everything that had a diode in it would demodulate!! Talk about all the weird bypass caps we had in our old tube/photo-tube puckups!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2000 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that I also use the same scope that Gord has. Its a Leader model LBO 315. It has a battery strapped on the side that can run the scope for a couple of hours non stop. I've had this scope for quite a long time now, and recently had it recalibrated by Leader(not cheap!). These are actually sought after scopes. If ya see one and ya need a scope get it! Lonnie Jennings also uses one of these scopes(last I knew).
I also have a modular Tektronix TM 500 system that consists of an SC504 dual channel 60meg scope, a function generator, Digital multimeter with temperature probe, and a variable power supply that is capable of running an exciter lamp,LED, or small preamp in an emergency. Tektronix also made a ton of other handy plug in modules that will fit in the TM 500 main frames such as sweep generators, frequency counters, etc. It makes a nice handy service package!! Also check out the "built like a tank" trusty Tektronix 465 scope, but preferably the later version, with an added "B". These scopes were......and some techs still feel they ARE the industry standard. This scope is 100 meg dual trace and can be gotten with an optional DMM on top of the scope. If you have trouble triggering with your present scope try one of these babies out.....it'll lock onto any signal if you just get in the vicinity of it. Sorta heavy, but indestructable. There are alot of them on E-bay and I've seen nice ones in surplus stores for less than $300.00(US).
A few may disagree with me, but I can't stand the new generation of digital scopes with those LCD displays, and poor resolution and scaling.....Sure they're small and light but there's just something about a CRT based scope that's mysterious, and hard to beat.
Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-08-2002 01:37 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bringing this thread back up for an update.

I'm looking for an o'scope for my theatre. Are there any new recommendations? I'm seeing a Tek 212 on ebay right now--I think that's the one I've seen used by one of the Dolby guys I've worked with. It's small and it's CRT based. Hmmm, maybe that one will go in my toolbox...

Also seeing several of the Tek 465Bs that Mark (and everyone else apparently) likes. Probably a bit of overkill for the theatre but if obtained at the right price... It's size and weight wouldn't be an issue.

Also, has anyone actually used the newer LCD displays in theatre service work? Like the Tek TDS210? It's another small and very light one that would go with my toolbox nicely, if the display is usable. Prices for this one seem a bit high for me at the moment though ($800-1000).

Whaddayall thimk?

Non-Weenie Wielding Paul

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-08-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, your "73" about "Non-Weenie Wielding Paul" cracks me up.

I use a 20mhz B&K Model 2125 which seems to do the job, but it has its limitations. But all in all, it does OK, but I never had the opportunity to use it with the CP-500 or CP-650.

I am sure some day I'll probably have to get a better one, but right now for what I am doing, I just cannot justify the cost.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-08-2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered a used Tektronics 100MHz scope ($595) and a new AudioControl SA3051 (about $1000).

I also have a tiny little device by Eprad (SA-150) that is way portable and made specially for solar cell alignments. I don't think I paid anything for it so I have no idea how much it costs.

I got nervous when I read about the older Tektronics scope that was interfering with the cops' radio...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-08-2002 11:21 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 20MHz Tenma scope that I have to lug around at the moment, ugh... I reeeeally want a Leader LBO 315 but oy, the prices!

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 212 Sony tek is a little slow for the SRD alignments
Plusteck makes a reliable scope
20 MHz is the min

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two B&K (1)in Japan & (1) in USA, I can't remember model number, I tried the Tektronic digital(light weight, & small) but is too slow for SR-D alignmentS, IT does ok for analog but too slow for SR-D, I prefer the B&K, a bit heavy & big, but damn it's GOOD !!! i also use the THX R2 & Audio Control SA-3050A Spectrum Analyzer, as for VOM I use the Fluke model #77....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2002 05:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update on my scopes....er, ah scope collection. I've always considered Tektronix scopes the rolls royce of scopes...I just picked up two Tektronix scopes surplus for el cheapo. One is the industry standard 465 and it has the DM44 on top. The scope is good to 100 mhz and the built in digital meter has proven to be very handy on the last two sevice trips. It also has dual time base sweep which can be set to delay each other several different ways. This one cost me 50 bucks. It had a bad power supply cap in it but that was an easy fix, just replaced em all, the CRT is excellent and very bright. The calibration at Stabro Labs cost me another 150.00, but all this is still cheaper than getting the same in questionable condition off of e-bay.
The second scope I picked up is a like new Tektronix 7623A storage scope. Its been recently calibrated and is good to 200 mhz with the plug ins that it came with. Capable of 4 traces as it is equipped with 2 dual input verticle input modules. It digitally displays voltage per div, and sweep speed right out on the crt which is a neat feature. I can also get differnt plug ins for it which make it into a dvm, frequency counter, or spectrum analyzer. The storage feature works great as does the variable persistence mode. It sold new for over 20Kin the late 80's but I got it for just 150.00. I may consider selling off my Leader 80mhz portable if any one is interested in it.....these two Tektronix scopes are real spoilers!
GTS owns a Tektronix TDS210 and I have used it, but its input amps are noisy and it does not trigger nearly as nicly as my Leader does. The Tek 465 triggering ability has to be seen to be belived!! It will lock up on the SRD video signal all by itself if needed!!
Mark @ GTS

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Tek 465 was the scope of choice at TV stations and post production houses. It is a very nice scope. I now have a Tek 475A, which is like a 465, but responce goes out to 250Mhz. I also have a non liner systems scope that is very small, and runs on battery. The 2" CRT is a bit small, but it is good for a quick peak at things, and a lot easier to carry around than the 475A.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 06:39 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul wrote:
"Also, has anyone actually used the newer LCD displays in theatre service work? Like the Tek TDS210? It's another small and very light one that would go with my toolbox nicely, if the display is usable."

I have a TDS210, and it is a fantastic scope for work in digital circuitry like microprocessors and logic circuits. When troubleshooting digital circuitry, it will show you things no analog scope can even dream of. BUT --- It is not worth a hoot for audio in my opinion.

My absolute all-time favorite for audio work is a Tektronix 2215 or 2215A. I have several of these, and they are real workhorses. They are reasonably small and lightweight, but they are not perhaps as rugged as you might like for field use. However, if you take good care of them, they will serve you VERY well. You can find them used through test equipment leasing companies like LeaseaMetric and Test Equipment Connection Corp.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: