Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Problem

Author Topic: DTS Problem
Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2000 10:28 AM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DTS 2 drawer player in my home screening room. The problem is it won't play 2 different Trailer discs. It will only play the disc that the first trailer is on. Any other trailers that are on the second disc won't play. Is this just the way it is or can I do something to remedy this? I know a theater would never put two differnt trailer discs in but it would be nice to play a bunch of trailers uninterupted.
Thanks for your help!

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-26-2000 11:53 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A related question I have is: Can I put two different DTS disk sets in a (3-drawer) DTS player? We are running "Tigger" (one disk) and, "6th Sense" (two disks). I tried it in one DTS6 player and it worked, and tried the same thing in our other DTS, and it didn't work.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2000 12:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS machines will ignore the second feature disc or trailer disc regardless of the model number.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My DTS player (later 2-CD model) did something funny last week. We were running Biecentennial Man. At a certain point in the film, the sound just went completely off. It didnt' default to analog...just silence. By the time I got to the sound rack, the digital had popped back on. I'd say it was out for about 30 seconds. Anyone else ever seen this?

I attributed the dropout to bad timecode; it looked very faint on that reel, but why didn't the analog kick back in???

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just an oddball thought from someone who doesn't own a DTS player, but I've looked at many a DTS CD on my computer... wouldn't it be possible to burn a CD-R with all of the trailer audio files you want to show onto one CD?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2000 06:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike B,

The "late model" DTS machines have 3 cdroms, not 2. The 2 cdrom units were the older units. Which one do you have? Also, which processor is it hooked up to?

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2000 08:11 AM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older 2 drawer unit as I described in the first post. It's hooked up to a CP 65. It's really no big deal . I can live with running one trailer disc. The system itself runs great with no complaints. I run change overs so I have a reader on each machine. I can run hour reels on each.
Thanks

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! I thought you said Mike C.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2000 02:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelsey,

Try it! Of course the problem would be identifying which trailer is what on the trailer discs. This is easy with a DTS-ES unit as it will give you the code for the currently playing trailer. I have also seen printed lists that state what "tracks" each trialer is on. Maybe you can print one of those lists from your computer when you insert the disc in, I haven't tried it.

Cory Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2000 05:01 PM      Profile for Cory Johnson   Email Cory Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had some issues with our 6D in that a couple of times, it has also tripped our CP-65 out of digital and into Non-Sync during the show. The last movie it did it with was Saving Private Ryan. It seemed to be a random thing, though, at it hasnt done it since. Once in a great while, on previews, during the green band of the beginning of the trailer, sometimes the DTS unit will begin to play 2-3 seconds of audio from the preview clip during the green band. After a couple of seconds, it stops and the previews plays on with the correct sound as if nothing happens. It seems to happen once every couple of months. Its cracks me up every time it does it and the audience seems to get a kick out of it too. I think the first problem with the audio tripping out it more of a CP65 problems as we were having troubles with the SR mode also tripping to Nonsync during SR playback too. It hasnt done it for quite some time, so I dont worry about it so much. Our CP500 acts up more than the DTS unit, by far though. Just last night, it wouldnt trip into Digital, only SR. A power off and on fixed it, but the CP500 seems to have twice the troubles as the 6D&CP65 combo in the other theatre.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2000 05:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cory,

Reel 3 of Saving Private Ryan had a bad DTS timecode track on every print I saw. There was another reel (I think it was 7), but that #3 was horrible. I have a feeling that was your problem.

I think the preview clip problem may be the cutting of the attached trailer. Only Warner prints have a good length of black between the trailer and feature. Studios (Fox especially) actually overlap the audio from the opening fanfare into the trailer, resulting in a sloppy start into their logo when a policy or sound logo is inserted.

Your other problems are probably power line surges. At one theater that was having extreme power spikes, the DTS units as well as the automation were doing very odd things. Might want to hook a multimeter up to the line and see how steady it is.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-29-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

It's a 2-drawer. Weren't there two generations of 2-drawer models? Anyway, mine was probably one of the last ones made before they went to 3 drawers. (damn!)

And, it's hooked up to an Ultra Stereo unit. (about 3 or 4 yrs old....JS200 series.)

Nick Perry
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2000 03:56 AM      Profile for Nick Perry   Email Nick Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version firmware do you have?

The TCR firmware is on board D422-"U14". If it is a V1.37 replace it to V1.42. The 1.37's have bugs. Any versions older than V1.29 should not be use however V1.29 is O.k.

A DTS6 with current firmware should pick up all trailers.

Cheers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: