Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DA20 problems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DA20 problems
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2000 08:02 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently opened a new 10 screen theater. Due to budget constraints we purchased used booth equipment. We have ORC lamphouses with ORC VA-301 automations.
The projector in question is a 3k lamp, Century JJ-2 projector with a Cat. 700 digital reader. The sound rack includes: CP200, SR-A5, DA20, Crown CE2000 Amps. Ever since the install the DA20/CP200 combo has not worked properly. Originally the only problem seemed to be that the DA-20 and the CP200 were not talking. (i.e. the system would not engage the digital.) I could engage the digital manually by turning the pot on the CP sense card in the DA-20. Then the DA-20 went really haywire. Lights flikering all over the place, etc. Replaced the FRED card. still didn't work (same problem, lights flickering, etc.) Went over all of the modifications to the CP200 for the 2000th time and all of the cables connecting the two. Finally found a problem. The CP sense control wires (connected the the lowest DB25 port on the back of the DA-20 and to the back of the main circuit card in the upper half of the CP20) were installed backwards. After correcting this problem the system seemed to work perfectly for 24 hours. Then, the next day, similar problem. All of the fault lights come on on the DSP cards, the FRED card has no numeric display (FRED fault light is on), the AC-3 card fault light blinks, the motor/projector lights are all correct (proj 1), and a few of the Digital signal level lights come on.
Completely disconnecting the DA-20 has no effect. It still will not load the Base-line code.
Is it another Bad FRED card? Or the AC-3 card?
I am at a complete loss. Dolby refuses to return my calls.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Jon
jbartow@megalink.net

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-23-2000 08:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Without having a DA20 right in front of me for reference, I'm not going to be able to remember the DA20's card numbers, as I never have problems with the SRD format. However, the card on the far right (the one where the delay is set)...is that a regular card or a newer "A" card? Also, above the 3 delay controls, what number is the CP setting at? Finally, do you have cat 517s (instead of 117s), 513 (instead of 113) and a cat 560 (instead of a 160 in your CP200? Has the format card been programmed for format 10?

Tell me that and we'll take it from there.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2000 06:34 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP Sense card (I can't remember all of the numbers either) is set correctly for a CP200. Not knowing the difference between the old card and the newer "A" card I can't tell you which one I have. both of the DA20's that I've worked with have the same card.
Also, the CP200 has all of the new cards (560, 517, 513) And the optical format card (#153) in the CP200 has been modified for format 10 correctly.
Also, I've tried replacing one of the DSP cards to no effect.
Thanks for your time Brad! Much appreciated!
Jon

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2000 01:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That newer card has an "always digital" setting for the CP200 or a "user selected digital" setting. The CP numbers are different between the cards. Remove it and see what is printed on the edge. (Make sure power is off first. )

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2000 03:52 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jon,

You may have already checked this, but I know that the DA-20 has had some power supply issues in early units. Have you checked your voltages on the CAT 670 card. I believe TP5 should be +15v, TP8 should be -15v, and TP6 should be +5v. Ken/Lonny @ Dolby have told me that your reading should not be off by more than 20%(?). If it is, you should check the power supply molex connectors.

Good luck!

BTW, Bud and I both spoke w/ Andrew on Wed about the relays for N. Bedford.

Later,
Trevor

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2000 02:34 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Trevor, I'll check that tomorrow. He told me that he talked with both you and Bud. His boss has this thing about not believing me. Any time that I tell them that something is wrong and what needs to be done to correct the problem she insists that someone "qualified" be consulted. Pisses me off every time. Oh well.
Anyway, Brad
I believe that it is the newer "A" card. Always digital CP200 setting "B" Normal operation for CP200 "3". Printed on the side CAT No. 611 REV printed on the reverse FAB A1PD4312 REV E.
Any ideas?

Joe Grace
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2000 09:37 AM      Profile for Joe Grace   Email Joe Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say that you get the old baseball bat out and whale the thing 'till sparks fly. Then turn it on and try it again. If that doesent fix it then nothing will.

J

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2000 07:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Joe, thanks for the tip, but a DA20 is a model number for a Dolby Digital processor and is not a model number for an SDDS processor, so the baseball bat should not be used except for model numbers starting with DFP.

Jon, turn off the power to the DA20, set that card to number "7", then repower it back up. Then, dial up format "10" on the CP-200 control unit. Let me know if that works.

Personally, I hate the idea of "auto-digital". I don't want the DA20 "taking over" (like SDDS does) my system and forcing it to play in digital. If I want it to play in SR, I'll select format 05. If I want it to play in digital whenever it is present, I'll select format 10. Simple as that. Enough of the "auto" crap!

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2000 02:18 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear! Hear! Death to SDDS ANYTHING! But enough about that.

I checked the power supply. It's fine. Voltages are all within 3%.
I'll try number 7 on Monday.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2000 07:15 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Number 7 on the CP sense card had no effect.
I also tried removing one card at a time (with the power off of course ) just to see what would happen. What is supposed to happen is that all of the fault lights come on and a "U" is displayed on the FRED card. No "U" with any of them except one of the DSP cards (but not the other). What do you think Brad? Get rid of the CP200/DA20/SRA5 and get a CP500?

Lonny Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2000 05:05 PM      Profile for Lonny Jennings   Email Lonny Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon: You have the older Cat. No. 611 not the "A" variant. The correct position is "3" for that card with the CP200. The "haywire" response you got from the DA20 when you selected another CP position is correct because the unused switch positions on that card are programmed to do that to let you know that you are not on a valid position. I believe that you have a bad power supply connector that is causing the lockup situation you have. Where did this unit come from originally?

If you could call us here at 415-645-5000 we'd be happy to help you with this problem.

Lonny Jennings

P.S. For those of you with the newer Cat. No. 611A, you can always turn off the autodigital by selecting the the switch position number that is normally used +4. In other words, to select user control only of digital for the CP200 select (3) + 4 = 7. This will give you digital ONLY when you select it from the CP.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-29-2000 08:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forums, Lonny!

Your sage advice has been missed.

See ya at the Dolby booth next week!

-Aaron

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments Lonny! I'll try calling You very nice people at Dolby yet again.
I get the "haywire" no matter what the 611 card is set to. On. "3" (CP200 controled) the Digital signal lights have a random blinking pattern, the fault lights on the DSP cards are on, the fault light on the AC-3 card blinks, the FRED card fault light is on, and there is no display on the FRED card (supposed to be r,c,L,-). Also the video card Proj 1 ligt is on and the 611 card proj 1/motor1 lights are on. The "reset" button on the FRED card has no effect.
When set to "B" (CP200 digital always) the display is the same.
The unit does allow the analog signal to play uninterrupted no matter what; with either 05 or 10 selected on the CP200.
Lonny, which power connector are you refering to?
Thanks for your time guys!
Jon

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2000 12:02 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done one in a while...so if I'm a little off, I'm sure Lonny will set us right.

Unscrew the power supply on the back of the DA-20 and disconnect the cable from the main chassis. Open up the power supply and the wires should go into a molex connector. Does it look discolored?

The last time I looked at one, the connector was brown. I soldered the wires directly to the PCB and that worked for a few months. Eventually it failed (just like the guys at Dolby told me it would) and the theater had to order a replacement.

Hope this helps!

BTW, did you take care of that intermittent and motor in Cin. 7 at N. Bedford?

Later,
Trevor

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Trevor,
I was down in your neck of the woods today. Replaced the intermittent, and then went to replace the motor and Balentine sent the wrong type of motor.
They sent a 110v single phase 1725rpm motor, which is fine, except that the motor they sent had no way whatsoever of attaching it to the projector. I suppose duct tape would have worked...
So, Ordered the correct motor and I'll be down that way again on Friday. *sigh*
Anyway, thanks Trevor, I'll have a look.
Jon

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: