Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Beginning Projectionist Needed ???

Author Topic: Beginning Projectionist Needed ???
John Keegan
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for John Keegan   Email John Keegan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all of you out there. I have a sincere interest to enter the Projectionist
field part time. I currently work full time as a computer programmer and this has always been a side interest for me. I have been viewing Film-Tech for more than a month now and after reading all I can and keeping up with new topics, and also after my first tour of an AMC projection room, I feel that I
am ready to enter the field part time.
I live in the Bucks County Area in Pennsylvania outside of Northeast Philadelphia. I am willing to learn under
someone who is willing to train me properly
to perform this job. If there is anybody out there who is looking for someone to train from scratch and have them learn the
correct way of doing things, I would like to
hear from you.

Please note that this is not a joke or a prank, I am sincerely interested, so serious
replies only. Please contact me at my
personal home email address as follows :
jpkeegan1@juno.com
At that point, I'll give you my home phone
number and perhaps we can set up a time to
meet.

I realize that it is probably rare to find
someone who is willing to "learn the ropes
from scratch", but I feel that if you want to
do something, do it right, or don't do it.

Thank you in advance for your time to read
this posting and perhaps I will hear from
somebody soon.

John Keegan
jpkeegan1@juno.com

|  IP: Logged

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2000 12:16 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's gotta start somewhere. I actually came from the computer field myself. A friend of mine was a manager at a local theater and got me an in, but I don't see "no experience" as being a huge problem if you are dedicated towards learning.

Good luck!

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-17-2000 12:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started at Cinemark I had ZERO experience in an actual projection booth. I quit my job as a furniture salesman to go to Cinemark. The job started out as strictly minimum wage. Since it was during construction, I got over 70 hrs. a week so that made up for the pay difference. Before that I was a TV salesman. Unless you're in a union town, it's a pretty much "off the street" job. All you need are some "transferrable skills" and a desire to learn.

In high school I was on stage crew and I was an A/V Geek. I was into computers and electronics. I took a year of Vo-Tech, too.

What really clinched it for me was in my first interview. I asked the girl who was doing the "screening" a question about projectors that she couldn't answer. ("Is it true that Dolby Digital soundtracks are printed between the sprocket holes?") That got my application kicked upstairs onto the booth managers desk.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: