Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Photoguard = :( (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Photoguard = :(
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-16-2000 04:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dreamworks is rereleasing American Beauty this weekend. The last time Dreamworks rereleased something (Saving Private Ryan) they "cleaned up" the prints with photoguard. I am fearing that they will do this again with American Beauty. If this is the case, FilmGuard won't be able to battle the grime on these prints.

I thought it would be a good idea if Brad could tell us all how to identify a Photoguarded print, what to expect from them, and any other information he may have on this crappy process.

The studios really need to embrace FilmGuard.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-16-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Photoguard that 3-M "Scotchguard-for-film"??

Well, if it is I've got some. When we ordered our "title strip" trailers they came with that junk on them.

It makes the film look real glossy-looking. You can actually see the stuff. It looks like a thick varnish-like coating.

Well, I guess the stuff is okay but when you put FilmGuard on it:

1) It doesn't do a whole lot
2) It smells like burning rubber when it goes through the projector.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a 3M Photoguarded print, call Technicolor and simply demand a non-treated print. That's what I did when Saving Private Ryan was re-released. The un-treated print I got had some black scratches, but were covered up after a week's running with FilmGuard.

There is a very distinct odor to Photoguard. I think Randy put it best, "like burning rubber". It will look completely different to a normal print with a rainbow kind of glossy surface. It will also run substantially louder and will shake more on screen. Focusing is usually affected as well. However in it's defense, that coating is to overkill, there is no way in hell you can scratch it!

If you do get one of these prints, don't waste your time trying to clean it with FilmGuard or any other liquid cleaner. It will not do a bit of good. Also, stray away from running a regular cleaner on it, as it will cause it to shed like there's no tomorrow. Just thread it, start it, go make a phone call to TES, clean the projector, thread it, start it, go make a nasty phone call to TES, clean the projector, thread it, start it, commence yelling at TES, etc. You know, the usual procedure to get what you need.

I understand Dreamworks is making new prints on this one, so hopefully this won't even be an issue.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-16-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else think that it's really silly that they have to re-print a film that's less than a year old? Really, now...the original prints _should_ still be in top condition if they were handled properly (which, of course, most of them probably weren't).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-17-2000 12:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Silly, yes. Realistic, no. The odds are that most of the prints were junked before Oscar time. The remaining prints were probably not inspected, but just randomly grabbed off of the top of the pile and were probably in horrible condition.

A few years back, I was picking up some prints at the local depot and saw an interesting sight. There was 20 brand new, never opened prints of a very major motion picture. While that may not sound odd, the fact that this was junking day for that title certainly sparked my interest. As I was waiting to have my prints pulled, I chatted with a fellow who was packing up prints to go out. He told me those were over-ordered, as the studio didn't come through with as many playdates as they had expected and the prints had been sitting there unopened since a couple of days before it's first release. I then made a comment along the lines of "well, at least you know which ones to keep for the archives. "

As it turns out, those were to be junked. When I asked why, the answer was "we don't know if those have any lab problems in them, but these that just came back from the dollar house runs didn't get any complaints, so we KNOW these are good prints."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGH!

(Fortunately, this thought pattern has since been changed.)

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2000 12:44 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a Photoguarded print of "Private Ryan" at my budget cinema last year. When I was taking down the film I noticed the burning rubber smell. It also caused the rollers on my makeup table to get EXTREMELY hot. Luckily I haven't had one since.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2000 03:01 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dreamworks definitely needs to strike new prints of AB for this run, cause when my theatre origianlly got this movie (only one week after the initial opening), both our prints were used - and we're a first run theatre. They were both in terrible shape. Just about everything that could have been wrong with them (besides scratches) was. It's going to be quite an adventure building that thing up tomorrow.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2000 01:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week we tore down a decent print of American Beauty. Now we don't have room for the rerelease at the higher film rental. Oh well!

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2000 07:15 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Higher film rental? You mean the rerelease can still command some sort of high percentage for the studios?

It's funny, we have a print of "American Beauty" sitting in the booth waiting to be shipped out and another one that just came in for the rerelease.

So is Photoguard the revolutionary method of print rejuvenation that TES claims to have developed? http://www.technicolor.com/services/ent-services.html

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2000 12:02 AM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened our print of American Beauty and it seemed to be in pretty good condition. It was NOT photoguarded and whoever had it before took really good care of it and spliced the heads and tails with clear tape and only on one side. I was curious how anybody's else AB prints came. Brand-new? Photoguarded? Piece of junk?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-18-2000 05:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print was Photoguarded! They did it just to piss me off, I know it! I immediately requested an unprocessed print.

The print looks OK onscreen (for the first run), but it will collect dirt, shed more and more each show, etc etc. And it runs LOUD! And I can't even run FilmGuard on it.

PhotoGuard is for guarding photos.

Leave the guarding of film to FilmGuard.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-18-2000 10:00 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a print of "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex" in 1983 or so, and it was exactly like what Randy said; There was a varnish-like coating on it, and it even had what looked like "brush-strokes" in it. I thought that might effect the picture, but didn't.

I didn't have that special splicing tape (no one told us we were getting that print, and I had never heard of Photoguard before), and initially tried to use regular tape. I was amazed how little anything stuck to the film. You could press the regular tape down as hard as you could, rub it in with your fingernail hard, hard, hard- and it would just fall off.
I later was told that "Everything..." was a popular film around the New York City collage crowd, and with lots of rentals, was chosen to really test the Photoguard.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-18-2000 10:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first test of photguard was with Jaws when alternating reels were coated to se if print life could be extended
A large majority of Imax prints are photguarded and they are carefull to only photoguard the image area not the perfs to prevent powdering. The powder is from the over fill on the perf walls
Photoguard is a teflon coating and it makes most prints virtually scratch resistant (Popcorn pusher proof)
It also fills in light scratchs to hide them on recycled prints.
Most negatives get treated to protect them on high speed printers as well

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2000 11:08 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a brand new print.

Paul
Cinemark - Legacy

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-18-2000 02:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Brand new print at Galaxy, Dallas.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: