Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Regal Vs Hollywood Part 2

Author Topic: Regal Vs Hollywood Part 2
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 12:39 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Dreamworks now Artisan?

Regal pulls all 9th Gate promotional material and will not carry film.

Anyone know if this is the same $$ issue as with Dreamworks (Galaxy Quest) or if it has something to do with the Satanic content and Polanski?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 01:44 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buddy of mine says his Regal got an email mid-afternoon today stating all promotional materials were to be removed until further notice. The email did not say if the movie would not be showing there...but I could see how it could be assumed.

I don't keep it a secret I can't stand Regal Cinemas, but instead of ranting and raving I'll just say Good! More box office sales for the rest of us.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 03:52 PM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Regal is thinking that it is bigger than it really is, and can change things in Hollywood. As far as the Satan theme what about End of Days, or Lost Souls. Regal didn't order the pull on thoes trailers.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 06:44 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>what about End of Days, or Lost Souls. Regal didn't order the pull on thoes trailers.

well, those weren't directed by pedophiles..

as far as Regal's are concerned, please don't trash regal as a whole, trash them by individual theater. Some of us Regal employees actually give a shit about presentation.

tyler.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 07:30 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the few years I have been working with Regal, I don't think content of films affected our business of working with distributers. We seem to be banning all Artisan films and not just The Ninth Gate. If we were banning films that had questionable content, we wouldn't have run that tripe called Showgirls. If we to ban films made by pedophiles, we would not have run Powder. It appears that we could not come to an agreement with Artisan to run The Ninth gate. They may be asking for a higher percentage of the box take than other distributers (such as Dreamworks did with Galaxy Quest). We have worked out our differences with Dreamworks and hopefully will do the same with Artisan. As others trashing Regal as a whole, I have to agree with Tyler. There are some of us that truly concern ourselves with presentaion and there are some that don't give a damn. I have work in both of those scenarios. I have been known to trash some my fellow locations because they don't care. However, this is true for all chains. Some care and some don't. You union guys are probably going to bash me for this, but I have seen a few union members do a rotten job. But hey, I guess I should start another thread to continue with THAT rant. It boils down to finding people who are dedicated to presentaion which is going the way of the dodo. Unfortunate but true......

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas
Rockville 13

Ric Holifield
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Ric Holifield   Email Ric Holifield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<We have worked out our differences with Dreamworks and hopefully will do the same with Artisan.>>

Do you think we have worked out our differences with Dreamworks? We aren't getting the re-release of American Beauty.

------------------
Ric Holifield
Assistant Manager
Regal Cinemas
Medlock Crossing 18

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 11:14 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah we have made up with Dreamworks. We have been given the go ahead to start putting up advertising material for them...

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas
Rockville 13

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-17-2000 01:06 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding American Beauty re-release...its being offered first to the theatre that originall played it in each market...I heard this from my booker who is very, very well connected. So if Regal was fighting with Dreamworks when AB was first released it would naturally follow that they wouldn't be first in line for the re-release. FWIW Ky

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: