Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » My Oscar predictions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My Oscar predictions
Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 09:34 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is Erika and I’m an Academy Awards addict.

“Hi, Erika!”

Well, it’s that time of year again, and I thought I would post my predictions for this year’s Oscar winners. Please feel free to post your agreements, disagreements, people who should have been nominated but weren’t, people who were nominated who shouldn’t have been, personal disgust for the Academy and its politics, funny stories about Arthur Hiller getting plastered, ect. Hey, that’s what award shows are all about

BEST PICTURE: American Beauty
This year, nothing really screamed out “Best Picture” to me (except maybe one or two films that were not nominated), but I think American Beauty combined all it’s elements to make a good film.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Cider House Rules: Good to see this make the list.
-The Green Mile: Gotta have that resident Tom Hanks drama included in the list.
-The Insider: Yeah, it was a good film, but can you say “editing”?
-The Sixth Sense: Glad they had the brains to nominated this one ... I wish it would win.

BEST DIRECTOR: Sam Mendes for American Beauty
It takes a very weird, unexplainable phenomenon to split Picture and Director into two movies (like last year ... what the Hell?!), and I don’t think it will happen this year.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Lasse Halstrom for The Cider House Rules: Who’s cruel enough to name their kid Lasse?
-Spike Jones for Being John Malkovich
-Michael Mann for The Insider
-M. Night Shyamalan for The Sixth Sense

BEST ACTOR: Denzel Washington in The Hurricane
I’m torn between Denzel and Richard, but Denzel “is my final answer”. It’s Hollywood; they could stiff the poor guy till he’s dead, but hopefully this is his year. Does the Academy have something against Jim Carrey, or do they just love teasing him?
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Russell Crowe in The Insider
-Richard Farnsworth in The Straight Story: Awesome performance!
-Sean Penn in Sweet and Lowdown: He won’t be at the ceremony anyway.
-Kevin Spacey in American Beauty

BEST ACTRESS: Hilary Swank in Boys Don’t Cry
If they don’t give it to her ... I’ll ... do ... something! (and it’ll be bad)
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Annette Bening for American Beauty
-Janet McTeer for Tumbleweeds: She’s the only real competition Hilary has, although I didn’t see the movie.
-Juliane Moore in The End of the Affair
-Meryl Streep in Music of the Heart: Some day she’ll retire, and she’ll STILL be getting nominations!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Tom Cruise in Magnolia
I think too many people in Hollywood got a kick out of Tom playing a sexist.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Michael Caine in Cider House Rules: His accent got on my nerves.
-Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile: I wish he’d win.
-Jude Law in The Talented Mr. Ripley: Him too.
-Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense: Wouldn’t it be a hoot if they gave it to the kid?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Catherine Keener in Being John Malkovich
This is a tough one.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Toni Collette in The Sixth Sense: I would love it if she won.
-Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted: I think she has a chance, too. We’ll see.
-Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown: Haven’t seen the film.
-Chloe Sevigny in Boys Don’t Cry: She deserves it, too. This is a tough category this year!

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Being John Malkovich
Sometimes they give movies the Screenplay Oscar when they can’t give it Best Picture.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Magnolia: Also a possibility.
-American Beauty
-Topsy-Turvy
-The Sixth Sense

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: The Cider House Rules
I doubt any voting members read The Talented Mr. Ripley.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -The Green Mile
-Election
-The Insider
-The Talented Mr. Ripley: This should win, but it probably won’t. *sigh*

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: All About My Mother
OK, I admit I haven’t seen any of the nominees in this category this year, but All About My Mother has been playing in the same theatre in my town for about six months, so there must be something to it
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Caravan
-East-West
-Solomon and Geenor
-Under the Sun

BEST ORIGINAL SONG: “You’ll Be in My Heart” from Tarzan
Seems like it’s been a while since Disney won in this category, I figure it’s time to kiss their ass again.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -“Blame Canada” from South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut: I’m surprised (and delighted) that they had the balls to nominated a song from this movie. While they were at it, why not nominated “Uncle Fucker”?
-“Music of the Heart” from “Music of the Heart”
-“Save Me” from Magnolia
-“When She Loved Me” from Toy Story 2

BEST DRAMATIC SCORE: The Red Violin
Just a hunch.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -American Beauty: The score was played too much in this film.
-Angela’s Ashes
-The Cider House Rules
-The Talented Mr. Ripley: I loved the music in this film. Very original.

BEST FILM EDITING: American Beauty
I don’t think anybody ever thinks about it real hard when they vote in this category.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -The Cider House Rules
-The Insider
-The Matrix: I was really hoping this would make the list
-The Sixth Sense

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: American Beauty
All very deserving nominees this year. I’d love to see Sleepy Hollow get it, but I think those voting remember the roses coming out of that girl’s breasts in AB, so ...
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -The End of the Affair
-The Insider
-Sleepy Hollow
-Snow Falling on Cedars: Should have been nominated for Editing, too.

BEST ART DIRECTION/SET DECORATION: Topsy-Turvy
This is usually a no-brainer, but I think Sleepy Hollow is a real possibility, too. We’ll see.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Anna and the King
-The Cider House Rules
-Sleepy Hollow
-The Talented Mr. Ripley

BEST COSTUME DESIGN: Titus
Very imaginative and larger than life! Films like Titus are the reason Costume Design is a category at these awards.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Anna and the King
-Sleepy Hollow
-The Talented Mr. Ripley
-Topsy-Turvy

BEST MAKE-UP: Life
God, they just loooove actors in rubber suits!
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me: Fat Bastard rules!
-Bicentennial Man: Yuck! I wanted to throw up when I saw the make-up job in this movie! Another case of the Academy nominating their friends. Ug!
-Topsy-Turvy

BEST SOUND DESIGN: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
I hate to say this, but I think this one is going to steal it away from The Matrix, because The Matrix is going to steal Visual Effects from Star Wars. (I hope) In any case, it’s Gary Rydstrom ... he rocks! (Where’s Toy Story 2 - it belongs here!)
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -The Green Mile
-The Insider: whatever
-The Mummy: Hello!!!!!!! Loud and ear-splittingly harsh does not mean good! Get a clue!
-The Matrix

BEST SOUND EFFECTS EDITING: The Matrix
Cause I said so.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace: I thought animated films weren’t allowed to be nominated in this category. What? Star Wars was live action? Could have fooled me!
-Fight Club

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: The Matrix
If Jar Jar Binks wins this, I will gouge my eyes out!
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
-Stuart Little: whatever

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT SUBJECT: Don’t have a clue
I never get a chance to see the short films until well after the awards are over. How come Run Lola Run isn’t nominated?
THE NOMINEES: -Bror, Min Bror
-Killing Joe
-Kleingold
-Major and Minor Miracles
-My Mother Dreams the Satan Disciples in New York

BEST ANIMATED SHORT SUBJECT: Again, no clue.
No Wallace and Gromit this year, so it’s anybody’s game.
THE NOMINEES: -Humdrum
-My Grandmother Ironed the King’s Shirts
-The Old Man and the Sea
-3 Misses
-When the Day Breaks

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT: The Wildest Show in the South: The Angola Prison Rodeo
I haven’t seen any documentaries this year either (I know, shame on me, I’m so uncultured), so this is just a guess.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Eye Witness
-King Gimp

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: On the Ropes
Well, whoever wins, you can be assured that they will give a political speech and possibly be drowned out by music.
THE OTHER NOMINEES: -Buena Vista Social Club
-Genghis Blues
-One Day in September
-Speaking in Strings

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 09:59 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Matrix!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2000 11:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! They actually nominated a song from Southpark. I'm amazed. I understand they're not going to do their time-wasting dance numbers this year, but I would've loved to have seen how they would handle a song like "Uncle Fucker". Perhaps the academy has something against Canadians? Then again, maybe they felt "Blame Canada" was the most tame song in the film. Regardless, I'm still shocked.

I was very disappointed to see The Mummy got nominated for "best sound design". Erika is sooooo right. That had the worst track I've heard in years! And yes, where's Toy Story 2???

The best editing always kills me too. The Matrix should win this. Quick cutting is actually very difficult to do while still being able to tell what the hell is going on. (Everyone remember the horrible editing in the action scenes from End of Days?) Shame on the academy for not putting Detroit Rock City in for editing.

Other than that, it looks like another typical Academy year to me. Maybe since they're cutting out the dance numbers, there'll be time to actually let the winners talk for more than 30 seconds.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2000 11:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grr. The academy awards just tend to get me upset more than anything else, mostly because of the tendency not to even nominate many good films that didn't get a wide release.

So, for lack of a better place to post this, here's my list of overlooked, should-have-at-least-been-nominated titles: American Movie (great documentary, funny as hell), Go (I didn't see this until well after its initial release; it was surprisingly intelligent), Keepers of the Frame (good docco on film restoration/preservation; released only in 16mm, mostly to festivals; was this even eligible?), Limbo (John Sayles' latest...good, solid film), Lock Stock/2 Smoking Barrels (deserves a shot at best cinematography; not sure on eligibility), October Sky (one of the best "mainstream" pictures of 1999), Run Lola Run (one of the film "landmarks" of last year), SLC Punk (lasted about a week in most major markets, sadly), and the War Zone (one of the best of the year; deserving of a best cinematography nomination, at least).

Was I the only one who was unimpressed with Matrix?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 01:54 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi my name is Ian, and I too am an Academy Awards Junky.

“Hi Ian”

If I haven’t found a place to live by the Oscars, I will drag the TV out of storage and set it up in the box office. I hope I can get reception in this backwards little town. Here are my predictions with my hopes and a few caustic comments thrown in to make it fun. My thanks to Erika! For posting the list and to Microsoft for the cut and paste feature.

BEST PICTURE: American Beauty
-The Sixth Sense: Glad they had the brains to nominated this one.
Being John Malkavich should have been in this category as The Straight Story.

BEST DIRECTOR: Sam Mendes for American Beauty
-Spike Jones for Being John Malkavich: is whom I want to win!

BEST ACTOR: -Richard Farnsworth in The Straight Story: Awesome performance!
THE OTHER NOMINEE: -Russell Crowe in The Insider is my protection bet.

BEST ACTRESS: Hilary Swank in Boys Don’t Cry: Don't worry Erika! If She doesn't win there will be a huge protest.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: -Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile: This is the newcomer award.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: -Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted:

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Being John Malkavich

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: -The Insider

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: All About My Mother (We are currently playing this film to good houses. I wish we could have played them all. We will definitely play the winner if it isn't Pedro's film.)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG: This category never works. It is either a bad song or it gets played to death on the radio. I only enjoy this catagory when someone who shouldn't be there, gets to play. It will be interesting how they do the South Park song.

BEST DRAMATIC SCORE: Nothing stuck in my mind this year. What about All About My Mother?

BEST FILM EDITING: -The Matrix:

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: -Snow Falling on Cedars
Where's The Straight Story?

BEST COSTUME DESIGN: Titus (We open it next month.)

BEST MAKE-UP: -Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me: Fat Bastard rules!

BEST SOUND DESIGN: -The Matrix

BEST SOUND EFFECTS EDITING: The Matrix

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: The Matrix

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT SUBJECT: The Academy should now put these shorts in a program and release them.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT SUBJECT: The Academy should now put these shorts in a program and release them.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: -Buena Vista Social Club
-Genghis Blues (I wish would win)

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 04:40 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What used to hack me off about the Oscars (well two things) was that they usually make it a rule (it seems) to totally ignore SciFi and when they presented awards for some categories like special effects some old guy who could barely get up on the stage would go up and grab the statue. Now you know that since the guy can barely see and hardly walk that he didn't really do zip and is taking the credit for the guys who really did. Guess there's just no justice.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 04:59 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it has been my experience that when they get rid of one boring part of the show, they always replace it with another. That means if they aren't doing the dance numbers for the songs, they'll do something really terrible like Lord of the Dance or a fashion show. Oh, and you know they just got rid of it cause they didn't want to offend people with a "Blame Canada" dance. Just imagine what Trey Parker and Matt Stone would have come up with! Ooo, then imagine what Debbie Allen would do with it. LOL!

Scott reminded me of a couple more missing nominations ... where the hell is Philip Seymore Hoffman for Flawless? Sorry, Hollywood, but ignoring drag queens won't make them go away! Also, I thought Kate Winslet did a phenomanal job in Holy Smoke! And Ian mentioned that Straight Story was missing from Cinematography.

Oh, Ian, I think you may be right about Michael Clarke Duncan getting S. Actor - that's my back up prediction. I just got this weird feeling that it's Tom Cruise's year.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 06:47 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erika!

One more post! One more post!

And she be an Expert!

Let me be the first to say, Congradulations and welcome.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-15-2000 08:28 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Straight Story!!!! What was the academy thinking. It should be nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Editing. Did this movie direct it self - absolutely not. It is an amazing directorial job by David Lynch because his hand as the director is invisible. The editing is so perfect it isn't even noticeable. And it is one of the most beautifully shot films I've seen in the last several years.

Also sadly overlooked:

Chris Cooper for Best Supporting Actor for American Beauty. What a performance.

October Sky - again beautifully shot, directed and edited. Also a great screenplay adapted from a book.

And whats with the 6th sense. A routine hollywood picture...not a great screenplay nor a great directing job. I don't get it!

Gotta love the fact that Cider House Rules was no where in anyone's pre-nomination annoucement predictions. Never underestimate the marketing power of Miramax.

Enough ranting for now.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 12:07 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can never predict these things. But here's who I want to win:

Best Picture: American Beauty

Best Actor: Sean Penn or Kevin Spacey.

Best Actress: Annette Bening

Supporting Actress: Samantha Morton

Director: Spike Jones

Original Screenplay: Being John Malkovich

I can't believe Run Lola Run has been overlooked. It's one of the most creative
films I've seen in a long time. It should have been nominated for best editing and best foreign film. I also think Sweet & Lowdown should have gotten a best picture nomination.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 12:35 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erika, I think I'm falling in love with you.

I'm so glad people here recognized the Straight Story, I am an avid David Lynch fan and this such a great film. It should have definately gotten nominated for Best Cinematography, director and best picture. I'm surprised Disney didn't push this film more like they did with Shakespeare in Love last year.

Also what the hell is up with Kubrick not being nominated for best Director?

and yes Erika, I will gouge my eyes out too if Jar Jar wins anything.

:-)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-16-2000 01:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree about The Straight Story. I can't figure out why Disney didn't release it wide. It is Disney, after all. But then again look at Fantasia 2000. The only difference is that Straight Story is a GOOD movie!

It was great seeing Richard Farnesworth and David Lynch in person introducing their movie before I started it for them at the Telluride Film Festival.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 02:56 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I guess I should submit this fortuitous post so that I'm finally an expert. It's about time, Jeez!

Oh, a note of interest ... after today's announcements of the nominees, Jim Carrey was placed on suicide watch. Just kidding

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2000 11:06 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a few obvious clues that the Oscars are politics. How can you deny Jim Carrey's portrayal of Andy Kaufman? He epitomized the character, and isn't that what acting is? All the other actors did a good job, don't get me wrong, but Denzel Washington did not adapt himself to become Hurricane like Carrey did to become Kaufman.
The other obvious clue is no Kubrick for best director. The guy's beyond genious. Apparently its not important if the potential nominees are dead. And for that matter, where is any recognition at all for "Eyes Wide Shut". It was full of great acting (hello, Tom and Nicole???) and costumes, and at the very least, credit has to be given for all the beautiful, naked women.
Right?

------------------
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-16-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I can predict the future but refuse to, but If I could have my way, Matrix would win in every category even if it wasn't nominated. However JarJar is going to win best actor because lets face it, the academy is full of pompous pretentious old farts that wouldnt know a good movie if it bit em in the ass!

And on that subject, what about movies of the past that never got thier just rewards? Lets have a call here on some movies or performances overlooked that you think should have gotten at least a nod:

Christopher Plummer as General Chang in Star Trek 6, the undiscovered country. I mean come on here, you have a klingon commander quoting shakespear while kicking the crap out of kirk and his buddies. His performance was outstanding but alas, it was a SCIFI film and they so rarely ever get any real recognition.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: