Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thanks for the opportunity.

Author Topic: Thanks for the opportunity.
John F. Allen
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2000 06:38 AM      Profile for John F. Allen   Email John F. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This comment is not about a sound system so it shouldn't be banned from this forum. I fear that the moderator's action will be viewed by some as censorship or an unwillingness to deal with controversy. I don't believe that polarization helps much of anything. Healthy discussion and disagreement can be enlightening. It seems to me that a moderator's function is to ensure that laws are not broken. Beyond that, it's free speech.

Since I was the only named person that was being questioned, I think it's only fair for the readers of this forum to know that I was not offended and did not request the action taken by Mr. Miller.

Apparently some were offended. This is unfortunate as no one was criticized, only the faulty methods employed. I am prevented from answering the last postings so we will have to leave it there. I do appreciate the opportunity given by this forum to address the issues that have been raised. Perhaps we will be allowed to do it again sometime.

John F. Allen

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2000 11:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, the original thread was closed due to emails sent to me by people offended strictly by Mr. Allen's comments and what they ultimately implied, even though no specific names were targeted.

Mr. Allen, there were 2 more disturbed people from your post above waiting for me in my email box. Even in this new post today you have again indirectly criticized other sound techs by "faulty methods" or to put it in more direct terms, "not doing it right." It is not a matter of censorship or my not wanting to deal with this, but the fact people are getting very offended by such comments. I might add that this is the only thread to ever provoke such responses from the general community on Film-Tech. Let's all please give it a rest and let's pick it back up where we have left off in a month after everyone's had time to cool down and you have had a chance to rethink your wording and realize how insulting it can be to all other professional sound techs. In the meantime, please feel free to join in on other discussions here not related to sound issues and I will open things back up for further discussion next month.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: