Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fantasia 2000 in DLP?

Author Topic: Fantasia 2000 in DLP?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2000 02:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor's floating around that Fantasia 2000 will only be made available to regular theaters in digital and NO 35mm prints will be struck. Anyone hear anything to this effect?

Is that just stupid or is that just stupid?

|  IP: Logged

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 03:18 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is true it's more than Just stupid.
What about worldwide release??
I don't know Disney's plans for the US release but the film is scheduled to open here in Greece in July, and certainly in 35mm.
With no doubt an amount of 35mm prints will be made.

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 10:53 AM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would just be commercial suicide... If they go ahead with that kind of move, then they might as well have the Video version *exclusively* released on Betamax only.....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2000 06:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of the last Fantasia release (early 90s, I think) where they would not allow it to play in theatres that didn't have stereo sound.

At that year's Rocky Mountain theatre convention, the Disney rep said this requirement was to insure quality presentation.

After he said that, one of our group said, "If you're so concerned about quality presentation, why are you going to release it on video in a few months, where it'll be played on TV sets with 4" speakers and mono sound?" The Disney rep said, "Well, when you put it that way, it doesn't make much sense does it."

That's about the only time I've ever seen a Disney rep get embarassed!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-15-2000 02:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this means that I won't be getting this retarded movie, then that's great!

I just hope we don't get a digital video projector. If that's to ensure quality, why not just release it to theatres who use FilmGuard? Better than video by far!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: