Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Currenty available 70mm prints? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Currenty available 70mm prints?
Anthony Hopland
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 03:14 PM      Profile for Anthony Hopland   Email Anthony Hopland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is out there that can be booked in the U.S.? What shape was it in last time it was seen? I have seen a list from Paramount and Columbia. Does anyone know of any more?
Is the print(s)of Sound of Music that Films Inc had in the late 80's still out there?
How about the restored My Fair Lady....WB and Kit Parker says CBS ownes it, CBS "does'nt own any movies"
THANX, TJH

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apperently CBS junked My fair lady because it was so badly damaged with actually a song missing
Appocolypse is around as is lawrencce of arabia, Vertigo, Hamlet TopGun and the raider serries

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-12-2000 03:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets see... Heres the 70mm titles that I can remember off the top of my head that were in recent circulation:

Hamlet (1996) (mag, all twenty reels of it)
Baraka
Tommy (some prints are in bad shape however)
Apocalypse Now
Vertigo (DTS70)
2001:A Space Odyssey (new mag 70mm prints were struck back in 96 however the film is out of circulation until the planned reissue next year, possibly with some new DTS70 prints)
Lawrence Of Arabia
Titanic (DTS70, some of these prints have been mangled in the hands of incompetent operators, so caveat emptor)
The Doors (mag prints do exist as well as CDS)
Terminator 2 (mag prints do exist as well as CDS)
Tron (ONE new 70mm mag print was struck for a special revival screening at the El Captitan last year, maybe you can get lucky and get a hold of it from BV)

and check out Kit Parker, last I had heard they still had several titles available in 70mm as well, though quality may be unknown at best.

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2000 01:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There's one splicey as all hell and a bit faded print of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Also a Top Gun in decent shape with light lines. Alien (from Criterion) is fair with bad fading.

70mm titles that I know mint condition prints exist for are:
Hunt for Red October
Days of Thunder
Star Trek 5 and 6

Beware of some of these 70mm prints, as NFS was horrible about keeping things together and I've received prints in the past of The Untouchables, SpaceBalls, Edward Scissorhands, etc that were comprised of a reel of this and a reel of that! I almost wonder if the guys at NFS didn't intentionally move reels around "to get back" as each studio pulled out and went to ETS and Technicolor.

Good prints of Terminator 2 are still available, but what irks me is the fact Universal did not save a 70mm print of Far and Away. All that trouble to shoot the thing in 65mm and they didn't save a large format print!!! AAAAAAAAAARRGH!

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2000 04:01 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm prints in circulation in Australia:
Ben Hur, Titanic, Hamlet, Pink Floyd The Wall, Indiana Jones and T.O.D., Lawrence Of Arabia, plus about 20 others.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of 1996, the MFL print was in practically mint condition and was bookable through Kit Parker. I don't know what happened to it since then, but it would be a real shame if someone trashed it.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2000 03:34 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 70mm prints avalibel in Denmark for rental is 'Baraka' and 'Out of africa' and then there are the prints that are in the safe hands of collectors but thats another story

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-17-2000 09:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caught a 70mm print of My Fair Lady last summer at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) Bing Theater. The print looked and sounded pretty good--intact, just a few occasional scratches.

And the American Cinematheque just concluded their first 70mm festival a couple of months ago at the Egyptian. Again, the prints I caught were all in pretty good shape:

Sparticus (mag was quite noisy, degaussed?)
Oklahoma! (30 fps!)
The Sound of Music
Baraka
Apocalypse Now

Regards,
Paul Mayer
Long Beach, CA USA

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-17-2000 10:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oklahoma played in Boston two years ago (30fps, Todd-AO!). It was fun to see it and the sound was great, but this print was made from obviously faded negs, except for a few scenes which had good color and were apparently printed off of the separations. R1 had some bad scratches, but most of the rest of it was decent, aside from the overall greenish tint.

Apocalypse Now was probably Coppola's personal print or a collector's print. It's hard enough to get a good 35mm print of this title for a regular booking, and I don't think that a "normal" theatre can even book it in 70mm at this time.

Paul Mayer

- posted 02-18-2000 12:32 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the 70mm screening of Apocalypse Now at the Egyptian, you're right Scott, it was Coppola's print, according to the flyers. And the theater staff handed out photocopies of the cast & credits literature used for the original 70mm limited-release. There *are* some advantages to living in SoCal after all... :-)

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2000 08:35 AM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin: If I ever ended up with a decent 70mm print of OUT OF AFRICA in 70mm, I'd invest in a 35/70 projector. Just like when I got my first all-mag print -- that was the excuse needed to get mag heads for my projector. Then again, if I got ANY decent quality print in 70mm of just about anything, I go 70mm. It's always nice to be able to rationalize the purchase of yet another toy

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-29-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1654 days since the last post.

Paul Mayer

- posted 08-29-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digging this old thread up to say--that the American Cinematheque will be running a 70mm print of Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines tomorrow night (Monday) at the Egyptian in Hollywood. Co-presented with BAFTA/LA, it's a celebration for Ken Annakin's 90th birthday--he will be there for the screening. Birthday reception in the courtyard from 6:30 to 7:30, screening at 8:00pm.

The Link

Wonder if this is the same print I saw a couple of years ago at the same theatre? That print looked and sounded pretty good.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-29-2004 07:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were told by Fox that they do not let the one recent and only 70mm print of "Sound Of Music" out for any general showings. They do allow Patton to go out but they also prefer it to be run via two machine c/o. We tried to get S.O.M. for this past June 1st. No matter what you try to get be sure to book it way in advance!!

MArk @ CLACO

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2004 09:54 AM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

We ran that print of Men in their Flying Machine last Tues/Wed here in Austin and then shipped it directly to the Egyptian. It is a DTS copy marked answer print #5. Still looks new in spite of some light base side scratches. The print was shipped on cores in boxes like PATTON and HELLO DOLLY. Last Thursday we ran BARAKA. That film really draws a great crowd.

John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: