Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Checking out other people's equipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Checking out other people's equipment
Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 02:08 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but wonder...

I'm curious as hell about what kind of equipment everyone else is running wherever I go.

The local IMAX theatre has a glass wall to their projection booth, and I'm the one everyone else has to drag away because I'm so caught up in what the guy is doing in there.

There's one place in town that's still running changeovers, something I've never seen before. I'd love to get in their booth and see how it works.

The point to all of this is that I'm wondering what your reaction would be if a total stranger came up to you and said "Hi, I'm a projectionist. Would you mind showing me around your booth?". I know I wouldn't mind, but that's mostly because it's rare that I find someone who's willing to talk projection with me (the blank stares I get from the candy bar staff just don't cut it).

So has anyone ever just walked up to someone and asked to check out their booth? Anyone seen anything really interesting? Anyone work in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and willing to show me their booth some time between the 18th to the 27th?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they have coffe I always invite them in if we arn't busy

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 03:53 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it's never happened to me (that I can remember), I would love it if someone in the field came up and wanted to check out my booth - as opposed to complaining to my manager about how I'm doing things "wrong" on his way out the door. I find that very rude. If a fellow projectionist has a problem with my presentation, they should feel free to come up and talk to me face to face about it, see what equipment I use, see how we run things, ect.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 04:57 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have generally found it straight forward to visit projection Boxes,and have many pictures to prove it!, and even in some countries where english is not the first language, but have always been welcomed.

The main problem is getting pass the first hurdle of the stupid floor staff who asks "whats the projectionist" or the diffucult manager who states that I had to apply in writeing giving 24 hours notice of a pending visit, but armed with a selection of photos of the projection box where I work and others,it usualy works.

My present job we don't get a lot of projectionist calling in, except last weekend when a Technical Manager from a small cinema circuit asked to look around, and in conversation he had worked on the famous Philips DP70's showing 70mm Todd-AO, films like "South Pacific", and he had also bought in a load of interesting photos of projection boxes, so you never know who will turn up.

Where ever I work, Projectionists & people interested in the projection room are always welcome to come in for a chat,and the kettle is always kept hot!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-12-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that every town I've been in, the staff is always willing to let me in the booth or at least find a manager to let me in. That's even been true in the chain theatres I've visited. (Carmikes, mostly.)

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 08:03 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's where I first saw carbon arc in action in 1972 when I asked the theater owner to look around the booth. "No problem- go right up" he says. Peerless Magnarcs, Brenkert BX-80s on top of Motiograph Sh-7500's and 20 minute reels!

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 09:18 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont have any trouble as a rule checking out other projectionists booths,there have been the odd occasion where I was told in a rude fashion no and that was by a manager who was working for the same company I was working for!in a different state.I even had a letter of introductory.Any fellow projectionist is allways welcome to call and have look,chat and a cuppa in any booth I am working in.So if any of you come down to Oz look us up.

------------------

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike - Near the twin cities - I wasn't allowed to see their booth without "An appointment with the General Manager." Otherwise people have been very generous.

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 12:16 AM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johanna, have you checking out the Projection Picture warehouse located on this site?

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 12:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An old manager I used to work for had a habit of walking into theaters and asking to see EVERYTHING. I once accompanied him to Cincinnati when he was interested in buying a twin outside of town. On the way home we stopped at a Chakers in Wilmington, Ohio, (home of the famous Technicolor depot) and I checked out the booth while Lou talked with the manager. Not bad actually. They had DTS sound, Simplex projectors, and I think SPECO LP-270 platters. Well kept, and EXTREMELY CLEAN. That was one theater where I'd have no regrets going to see a presentation.

Carl Welles
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 12:42 AM      Profile for Carl Welles   Email Carl Welles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one major chain that really bloews in regards to letting people see their booths. They treat their booths like it's national security or something and I even heard in the chat room that they fired one projectionist who sent in some pictures to this site without written corporate approval. (It's not like they sent in blueprints of the theatre with burglary routes drawn out! It was just projector pictures.) It's like they're afraid people will see what kind of crap they have in their booths.

What a loser chain.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 04:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What chain was this?

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 09:39 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chakeres, (I work for em' )

Good place to work. The people at the home office really care about how they look on the screen. I like going to other locations in our chain to watch movies. When I have went with my manager to pick-up things at other theateres,the other managers and assts. have been great to us.

Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 12:00 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, of *course* I've been in the picture warehouse! That's what brought this to mind...

Maybe I'll contribute a few pics of the booth I work in -- I notice the Vics aren't well represented. Is Cinemeccanica even making projectors anymore?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 03:57 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Cinemeccanica's are still made, sometime soon on Brad's 'Projection Warehouse photos' will show the installation I took of a two screen 70mm cinema with new Victoria 8 and platters.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: