Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Belive it or Not (Theatre Recordings) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Belive it or Not (Theatre Recordings)
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2000 01:57 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call: (707) 256-0150

This is a real theatre recording.

What is wrong with it? (I'm told they do it as a regular course of business.) Why?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-10-2000 03:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the Uptown Theatre in Napa, CA.

After listening to this recording I have made the following observations:

1. the speaker is speaking in a pleasant, conversational (informational?) tone, and not rattling the movies off like an autioneer on crank.

2. Just about *everything* you wanted to know about the movie save for its synopsis and cast listing (what theatre its in, whether that auditorium is up or downstairs, running time IN MINUTES, rating, whether its part of a separate-admission split, starting times, yada yada yada. Very informative.

3. They admit that their upstairs auditoriums are not accessible by wheelchairs...

Aside from the recording being unusally long due to the large amount of information offered, I could not find anything wrong with it.

This theatre, for those not in the area is owned by the same circuit that formerly was the tenant of the Lakeside (Ian and Ky's 'new' theatre). Is there a point to this?

regards,
Aaron

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-10-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't called this number, but I can definitely recommend the Senator Theatre in Baltimore as one that consistently has great telephone recordings.

I would list some theatres that have consistently awful telephone recordings, but I'm afraid that I'd run out of space...

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2000 11:56 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite (recording) for many years - The Graham Cinema in Graham, North Carolina. The guy who owns it - Tim Bob.. he's a real kick :-)

(336)226-1488

and, the caller is provided Tim's home number and invited to call his home for any reason necessary. I bet you *his* presentation is flawless - wouldn't want a bunch of film-heads calling and screaming about projector weave. I hope I can get out to graham someday and meet the man.
-sean

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2000 02:09 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Aaron, your observations are quite correct. She has a pleasant voice and great delivery. That wasn't my point.

It was the show times that got our attention.

Cradle Will Rock plays @ 7:08
Galaxy Quest plays @ 4:12
Mansfield Park plays @ 2:26 & 4:43

Does anybody else do weird show times? We try to keep ours real straight up. We use whole numbers and integers and all that. We even stay away from times like 7:25 or 7:55.

Some of the Uptown's show times are like ours and some just seem off the wall. I am just trying to figure out the rational for it. With the public as clueless as they seem to be by the few people who ask questions like "What time is the midnight movie?" Or who wander in a half an hour late and ask if it has started yet. And my all time favorite; when we show them the ad in the paper, they say "But my paper said it starts at this other time." Yes, lady. We have them print a special paper just for you, so we can mess with your mind.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2000 02:15 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Weitzel

Yes that is the funniest theatre recording I have ever heard. Can anyone top that?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2000 06:10 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What time does the midnight movie start?

Maybe they're being Smart *sses! Aound here they say "what time does the noon ferry leave"? People think they're pretty stupid for asking, but some of us know what they mean. What they should say is "What time does the noon ferry leave ...today"?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2000 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbest question I ever got asked at the theatre: "How do you get it so dark in here?" My answer: "uhhh, we turn the lights off."

2nd dumbest (from a concession worker) "How many dollar bills does it take to make $20?"

OK, she was just confused and really wanted to know how many dollar bills go in a "bundle." But I thought it was pretty funny anyway.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-10-2000 10:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many dollar bills to make $20.00
If she asked me that my replie would let.....
Oh I gues political correctness won't let me finish that one
Too bad

psst What was here name and phone number

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-10-2000 10:17 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I'm curious about the emphasis on in minutes with regard to stating running times in your post earlier in this thread. Are you saying you prefer minutes or don't prefer minutes. We convert minutes to hours and minutes for our recording for the benefit of the math-impaired (gotta keep on that ADA compliance you know). Ky

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2000 12:05 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question I was asked more than once in the early 1980s: "When will THE NEVERENDING STORY be over?"

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-11-2000 01:31 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ky: By the running time in minutes, it seemed more logical to me as a projectionist or tech thats all, For Joe Moviegoer, hours/minutes would have been more appropriate, but like I said just minutes just sounds more 'precise'... Same for the strange non-rounded to-the-nearest-five-minutes show times. Perhaps these are the actual show start times , AFTER trailers? Who knows..

and I have had ppl ask when the midnight movie starts as well, and have had someone ask when the 12:00 (noon) show of a film starts as well, and then back when we had a weekly midnight movie series going there was this guy that wanted to know what we were going to be showing for next weeks 'late-night matinee' I had to go into the other room and then busted up laughing

Aaron

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-11-2000 01:10 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make the recordings for all 10 of our theatres...

Let me tell you... Thursday's are a chore.

Each theatre's manager complains to me that their customers are requesting that I either slow down, speed up, not or do not say the running times. Some people want to know who's in the movie, other don't.

You can't make everybody happy... although making stupid 7:21 showtimes is a little silly.

I gotta go now - but I'll post more on this later when I feel like ranting.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2000 04:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So where are the MP3's of all of the craziest theatre recordings?

Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 12:22 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Bob of Graham, NC is a genius. I just called that line and now I have tears running down my face because it was quite possibly the funniest thing I ever heard. The joke he told was pretty darn funny too. I got a call from a woman last night who could have been the main character in that joke.

"I notice it says in the paper that you have Double Jeopardy, Gray Owl and The Bone Collector. Are you still playing End of Days"
"No, ma'am, its run is finished here, which is why it isn't listed in the paper anymore."
(besides which it's a bad movie, so why would she want to see it anyway?)
"So you aren't showing it anymore?"
"No."
"Do you know where it went?"
"You mean the copy that we had?"
"Yes, I thought maybe I could borrow it."

I managed to explain the concept of Blockbuster video to this individual before I hung up the phone and cracked up laughing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: