Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Adding trailers to prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Adding trailers to prints
Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 06:29 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a stupid question, but I really need to know...

Okay, on Wednesday we're doing an advance screening of The Beach. It didn't come with any trailers, so I went ahead and made it up onto the platter, with nothing but mylar before reel 1. The district supervisor called and said there's 3 trailers that have to run on the print for the screening. So the trailers have been ordered, but here's my dilemma:

How can I add the trailers to the print without running the whole thing through? Normally I'd just put them on the takeup platter and then run the movie for myself, but a group of moronic employees smoking pot in a staff screening ensured that nobody's allowed to do after hours screenings anymore.

I've done this with smaller corporates by just unwinding them by hand into the middle of the reel, but how can I do it with 3 full length movie trailers?

If there's no way, the manager is going to have to go in early Wednesday afternoon and do it herself (run the movie through, etc), but frankly it scares me to have anyone but me mess with the prints -- too many mishaps...

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 07:06 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make up the trailers onto a ring and the thread the platter, bypassing the projector. Either leave the pin that holds the rewind plate in place in or support the rewind plate with something so it is about halfway up on its track. When you turn on the takeup platter, the film will wind at about 2-3 times normal speed. You will have to do this carfully, but I have done it successfully this way a few times before.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-07-2000 07:07 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all you need to tell your bosses they are insane for not allowing screenings. How else can you ensure a flawless print? Don't make the very first audience have to suffer if something is wrong just because some pothead screwed it up.

Secondly I have had this same problem before. Build the previews up on the other empty platter. Run them through then shut off the projector and quickly run through the movie itself without the mylar of course, then do a quick splice and you are on your way.

I was able to do this rather easily and there was only a 45 second drop. the customers barely noticed that the feature had not yet started and then there it was.

You have to be able to thread up in about 20 seconds and splice in ten or it wont work.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-07-2000 07:31 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not suggest feeding the entire film directly from the payout deck to the takeup deck. Even if it ran at four times speed, that would still mean a half hour of film bouncing around- it could easily get scratched.

I think Dave's idea is much better: Make up the desired trailers and run them to check. Then, pull some extra slack and splice the end of the trailers onto the beginning of the feature. No one will see the trailers on the first show, but this method is fairly easy. Don't rush though: That's how mistakes happen.

I made a platter takeup ring that is about 1/2" smaller then the ones that came with the platter. I can make up a trailer "core" on that, and fit it inthe center. It just clears the swinging feed arm.

First of all you need to tell your bosses they are insane for not allowing screenings. How else can you ensure a flawless print? Don't make the very first audience have to suffer if something is wrong just because some pothead screwed it up. Secondly I have had this same problem before. Build the previews up on the other empty platter. Run them through then shut off the projector and quickly run through the movie itself without the mylar of course, then do a quick splice and you are on your way. I was able to do this rather easily and there was only a 45 second drop. the customers barely noticed that the feature had not yet started and then there it was. You have to be able to thread up in about 20 seconds and splice in ten or it wont work.

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 07:43 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could try this: pop the ring out, wind the three trailers onto the ring and then put the ring back in. Splice the end of the third trailer to the beginning of the movie. Of course it won't fit in perfectly but if the film buckles inward a little, it's ok.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 08:28 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just make up the three trailers on a separate ring, then lay them on top of the film, make the spice and thread up normal. It looks scary, but it works.

Get a trailer, drop ring from Goldberg Bros in Denver for about $75.00 and you will be farting through silk. All the mega-plexes use them as they usualy have to change all the trailers on the films Thursday night. We used to do it in one show rotation.

That reminds me, I've got to order one of those, myself.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
NO show should ever have to run without the full trailer presentation and the projector should never have to be stopped. There is an explanation on the proper method to changing trailers towards the bottom of the "Improving your on screen presentation" document accessible from the main page of this site.

Johanna, you didn't say what kind of platter you have. I'm going to assume it's not a Christie (meaning it will be more difficult), so here's the deal:

Remove the center ring and your mylar leader from the center of the film roll. Take that mylar leader and use it to make up your leader, trailer 1, trailer 2 and trailer 3 on a reel. Load that reel of leader and three trailers onto a center ring like you normally would to run a feature. Now remove that center ring and take that loop of film and set it temporarily on the outer edge of the print. Put your splicer on the edge of the platter and make your splice (don't punch down on the platter when you do this). Now simply rotate that loop of film counterclockwise as needed to remove the slack from where you made your splice and set it into the center of the roll. It will be too big, so you will end up with a bulge of film inward toward the brain. Not to worry, it will run perfectly and it will not scratch.

If you can tell me what kind of platters you have, I can give you a more detailed explanation.

(By the way, "speed winding" through the platter rollers does not scratch the film so long as the film isn't dragging over the edge of a roller or rubbing against something.)

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 11:19 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate having to add an entire trailer show to print that's already been plattered. If I'm running a print without trailers for a screening and have to add them for the regular run, I block up the center with cores when I thread the screening and create extra space to work with. If I had to add trailers for the very first showing, I would probably opt to speedwind. I'm just personally more comfortable with that approach when there's enough time to do it. But the other methods listed here all work. Except, I don't like the idea of shutting down the projector during the actual show to mess with trailers.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 12:21 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you guys are forgetting 2 more methods. Now i don't really recomed these but they do work.

1. You could make up your trailors and throw them on the floor, spicing the end of the to the beginning of the show and just play them off the floor. (if you are really concerned about the dirt lay down some paper or plastic bags or something).

2. you could make up your trailors onto another ring and start with them, when the trailors are almost over pull the rest out by hand and splice it to the start of the movie thats already placed in one end of the splicer and ready to go.

Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 01:16 AM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for all the help everyone!

We've got two kinds of platters, and I could do it on either one -- They're both Strong, but one has the removable brains, and the other doesn't -- it's the older one with the interchangeable (to use the term loosely) 70MM attachments and the switches on the side (off, make up, rewind, payout).

Frankly, the idea of running trailers off the floor or shutting down to do a splice scares me. I'm thinking speedwinding will have to be the way to go. But I'm sooooo going to look into making myself a little tiny ring. There's even an old one in the booth we aren't using because it doesn't have a spring. Too perfect.

I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of making up the trailers onto a ring, taking it out, then setting them on top of the print to run it. But would the film feeding out of the brain clear two levels of film?

You know, I guess I could just break the damn thing down onto 2 reels, make up the trailers, then put the movie back on. I was hoping not to, though. And the trailers absolutely MUST be seen, we're only doing one promo screening, and there's a fox rep coming...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2000 01:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Johanna,

Do not actually sit the new roll of trailers "on top" of the print. A Strong platter cannot handle that height. They MUST be forced down flush with the rest of the print, hence the bulge you will have inward toward the brain.

Only a Christie can handle a "double stack" of film.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-08-2000 01:50 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another way is to take about 4-5 crap trailers and make them onto a ring, then wrap either tape or a strip of cardboard (recommended) arounfd them, then rubn the feature sans trailers onto this ring. Make up the trailers you plan to runb with the feature to another ring, then remove the ring with the crapola trailers from the feature 9 the cardboard helps this feat immensely) and drop in your trailers. voila!...

Aaron

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2000 02:56 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<Only a Christie can handle a "double stack" of film.>>

Speco's can also do the job.

I have 5 or 6 different sections of junk film (old ads etc.) about 5 or 6 mins in duration. When putting a print on the plate, this film always goes first and is attached with masking tape to the leader of the feature and then on goes the feature just in case there's something that needs to go on the head.

This happens pretty much every week here as prints come in and are built up Monday or Tuesday for a Thursday start and ads are changed Thursday morning so you need that junk in there to have some space to throw in the ads and trailers.

For those films already screening, the small ring helps enormously. Just don't forget to be there at the start up to assist the plate (especially with a speco) to save unnecessary rubbing / scratching on the print.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2000 03:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically yes, but not a good idea with a SPECO. There is a definite scratch hazard and I've seen them "pop out" of the feed arm causing a center wrap! SPECOs are best with inward bulges.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 10:49 AM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are using Strong platters, you might look into purchasing a 19 inch center ring. With one of these you can build up the film as you did, then build up the trailer pack and have plenty of room to drop it in, removing the mylar of course from the original build.

The 19 inch ring gives you room to drop a core of up to about 20 minutes without having to worry about an inward bulge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: