Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Getting Trailers?

Author Topic: Getting Trailers?
Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 04:39 PM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a second run theater on a college campus and was wondering how I could get trailers to promote upcoming movies. We usually book through Swank or NY Films. I usually just ask other theater managers around town if they have extras that we could have. Isn't there somewhere I could call?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-07-2000 06:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers:
National Screen Service for Disney, Sony, Miramax films

Technicolor for Universal, Warner Bros, Dreamworks, MGM/UA

Paramount for Paramount

Theatrical Distribution Services for New Line

RightSideUp for Fox

Your booker should have the phone numbers for these.

Your approach of getting trailers from other theatres is a good idea too. It's often the ONLY way to get trailers, since the bonehead film companies don't make enough to go around.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 08:35 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We love Fox!

If you book a film from Fox, they just send you the trailers and posters without being asked. They don't charge you and living is easy. With everybody else, it's like pulling teeth. They charge you. They're out of stock, They want you to return the trailers. The list goes on.

Film companies! Please follow Fox's lead in this area. I'll bet even Fox's reels are ok?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2000 08:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If Fox wouldn't wind their trailers emulsion in and would ship in a box and not an unpadded pouch, they would be perfect. Other than my having focus problems for the first couple of days, their prints are generally quite good and yes Ian, their reels are the best in the industry right now.

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 01:28 AM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody ship movies on 6000' reels anymore? I remember building up a few WB prints like that.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-08-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:

NSS was taken over (bought out?) by Technicolor last year....

Aaron

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-08-2000 01:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy:

Warner and New Line still ship prints on 6000' ELRs occasionally ( the last film I have handled that was shipped on ELRs was 'Iron Giant')

it didnt seem to catch on with exhibitors very well ( there should be a topic in the forum concerning ELRs) so I guess they went back to regular reels again save for a few releases here and there...

-Aaron

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2000 03:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<If you book a film from Fox, they just send you the trailers and posters without being asked. They don't charge you and living is easy.>>

Unless the movie has either of the words 'Star' or 'Wars' in the title.

----------------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage."
Indiana Jones

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 10:59 AM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt ELRs were a mixed bag. As much as I enjoyed only having to make one splice, I was more concerned of damage to the film. the Strong MUTs that I use have the shipping reels mounted horizontally. The extra thickness of the ELR caused the film to twist over a very short distance bewteen the edge of the reel and the first roller.

Of course once I became enlightened and began to always rewind these to metal 6000 ft reels, this ceased to be a problem.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-09-2000 01:48 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Mercyhurst College, we have a lot of trouble getting trailers too... It's kinda' an acquired skill.

1) When you book the film ask the distributor who handles their promotional materials.

2) Call up places like Technicolor or other places mentioned above and ask them if they have trailers for XYZ movie.

... or combinations of techniques mentioned above...

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2000 01:26 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you play movies after their original release you could see if premier release theaters have used or unused trailers. We give all of our extra unused trailers to local theaters that play second wind prints.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: