Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony conference in Boston

Author Topic: Sony conference in Boston
Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2000 01:16 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received the following letter from Boston Light and Sound and thought I would post it here for anyone that might not have received it.

Boston Light & Sound Inc.
Specialty Projection and Sound System

TO: New England Area Theatre Service Companies

DATE: January 18, 2000

RE: Training Seminars

Dear Friends,

I would like to introduce the first of what I hope will be an ongoing series of free training seminars featuring equipment used in our industry. For the first of the series, we are hosting SDDS, This is an opportunity for those of us in the Northeast to ask questions that have been coming up with older generation Sony units as well as the new 3000 series digital processor and reader.
The class is set for Wednesday February 16, 2000 at 8.30am at our facility here in Boston, MA. We have been told the class will be approx. all day long. Please let me know how many people from your company will be attending. You can fax me back at 617-787-4253. You can also e-mail me at rob@blsi.com. Directions to our shop can be printed from our website at www.blsi.com or can be obtained through our automated voicemail system 617-787-313 1. We hope in the near future to host Dolby and DTS. See you all in February.
Regards,
Robert Cejka

Refreshments will be served

290 North Beacon Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02135-1990
TEL 617) 787-3131 FAX: (617) 787-4257 EMAIL: info@blsi.com WEB: www.blsi.com

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 12:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the new 3000 series, what does everyone think of it? Should it be cause to reconsider SDDS as a good format? About the only comment I can make is that the reader is easier to thread and the film is much less bouncy going through it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2000 11:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does everyone think of it just take all the other posts about what SDDS stands for and multipy by a factor of 10
It is putting all your eggs in one basket and usually the basket's bottom keeps falling out

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2000 02:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone on the forum here going to be able to make it to this?

I'd be glad to convert a cassette recording of this thing and offer it as a downloadable MP3. A videotape submission could be converted into MPEG.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-13-2000 10:07 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone suggest a hotel/motel near there? I may try to go, but probably couldn't make it a one day trip. I don't know the Bosten area....

John F. Allen
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 10:39 AM      Profile for John F. Allen   Email John F. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sheraton in Newton Corner is fairly close as is the Doubletree in Boston on Storrow Drive. Of the two, driving from the Sheraton would be easier.

Should you choose to stay in downtown Boston, you should find a hotel near public transportation if you do not want to rent a car. If I were you, I would rent a car and stay at the Sheraton.

JFA

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2000 10:56 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I got a room at the Omni Parker House, which is normally expensive, but I've got one of those coupon books for them, so it's half off. It's also only about a mile away....

Anyone else going?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2000 01:27 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went to the Sony conference at Boston Light and Sound, and it was really great. There were about 15-20 people, everyone was friendly, learned a lot about the Sony units. Hats off to Rob and everyone up there: they did a great job.

The nice thing about it was that it was the perfect time to ask those weird questions about unusual stuff that comes up during installation or tuning.

Hopefully, there will be more classes like this. I would encourage any one to go, regardless of their techinal knowlege. Regardless of how much you know, there was something for everyone.

Besides, there was plenty of food, and where else can you see a VistaVision and a CinemaScope 55mm projector in the same room? I could spend a day just looking at all the cool old and new equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: