Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound Problems

Author Topic: Sound Problems
Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I'm running Cinemecannica V-9's in my booth, and I generally don't have any problems with them, and I should probably know the answer to this, but I'm lost on this one...
In one of my auditoriums, the sound is fine, except when music is playing on the soundtrack of the film. It sounds warbly and drags, almost like it's running a tad too slow. The oil in the sound head is OK, and the rollers that hold the film on the sound drum are lubricated. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 11:38 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check soundhead bearings.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-06-2000 01:07 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the V9's I used, there is no oil in the soundhead; it's just a flywheel. There is an oil 'dashpot' just after the sound drum. The dashpot has a spring and a screw adjustment. The screw is turned until the round base aligns with the point (while running with film.)

I'm assuming it worked OK before, and just started all of a sudden. Problems I've had (in rough order of likely-ness to cause wow.)

1. Worn or dirty rollers (part 009) or spindle. There were "old" 009's, and there are "new" 009's. The old ones are just one peice; the new ones look the same, but there is a pressed-in bushing in the hole for the spindle. Get the new ones if worn. That "lay-on" arm can be removed and cleaned out without messing up the optical aligment. Dirt get all over the the spindle, shaft, etc.

2. Spring (E-118a) broken or weak and not pressing down hard enough.

3. Rust in bearings. Happens even if you are good about oiling it. Remove 4 allen-cap screws (to get the sound drum assembly out) and free up. Means a new A chain aligment, though.

4. Wrong oil used in dashpot. (Did someone change it recently?) Yes, it does make a difference. I learned the hard way.

5. Flywheel cover bent/not on right/ or ground contact bent.

6. Peice of film caught in hollow area where solar cell is.

I worked with 4 V9's. One day, (when we just ran mono solar cells) another operator removed the outer drum "bellhousings" on two machines to clean them, and switch them when reinstalling.
Try the easy stuff first...

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 01:12 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same sound-drum type that are on the V8 and V9's, the flywheel type.

I havent had any problems with my V8, i guess i dont use it that much

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: