Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film to Video... New method!

Author Topic: Film to Video... New method!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-05-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following the outstanding success of the transfer to full screen video and dvd of the 'scope film: "A Bug's Life", these guys now have other titles to transfer. The method is amazing and will undoubtedly change scope film transfers forever.

Check it out...
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/flikfx/default.htm

[ 03-21-2006, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-05-2000 07:08 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAUGH.

I went to thier website and was APPAULED at the fact that they think that they can IMPROVE what they call directorial mistakes. They totally trashed cinemascope and 70mm, and insinuated that everything should be in IMAX format because most tv's are in the same 4:3 format.

4:3 will eventually go by the wayside. Why would we want to convert our old classics into digital recomps just so we can show em in an overly done IMAX house or keep our old antequated tv's?

And besides, A BUGS LIVE dvd and video recomps that kept all the elements from the widescreen into the 4:3 version was easy as all the elements were digital in the firstplace, all you had to do was reprogram the placement of everything and WALAH! With movies shot in 70mm, it will look just like that bud light commercial with john wayne facing off against a drill seargent looking for his beer and pretzels. It was sacrilidge to do it and it would be a shame to alter forever the amazing films that this company is doing, Lawrence of arabia and Ben Hur. LEAVE EM ALONE!!!

Hey, I know, why don't we recomp old classics done in 4:3 into cinemascope? We can cut out James Stewart then do a closeup shot of the background of Bedford Falls then shrink him a bit then put him back in and then... well it would look like complete and total crap, because it is and doing any digital recompositioning to these classic films to placate the 4:3 crowd or IMAX is sacrilidge. Cinemascope, widescreen, 70mm, panavision, whatever you want to call it, was the best invention in film history and should NEVER NEVER NEVER be tampered with.

Maybe I'm wrong.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-05-2000 08:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...um...Dave...

It's a JOKE.

(Although they did actually utilize a similar process to transfer A Bug's Life)

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 08:35 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A JOKE?

I was looking for somewhere to fire off an evil e-mail to them for even thinking about doing this to these films.

Oh yeah, Har-har-har-de-har-har!!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-05-2000 11:25 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH THANK GOD!!!!

I thought i was going to have to play joan of arc and lead a revolution.

I had enough of ted turner colorizing things and damn I just freaked!!!

YOU GOT ME MAN!!! Admitted shmuck at your service.

Well at least you know where I stand right?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Ed Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 01:21 AM      Profile for Ed Johnson   Email Ed Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an industry full of gimmicks, where people seem to fall for everything there told is an improvement, this is a really scary concept!

Thank God it's only a spoof. I sure hope it stays that way...

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 03:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, you people! I mean, I knew right off it was a joke! Maybe I'm just naive about the film industry, though...

Come to think of it, I could see George Lucas advocating this type of process. For example, if his first "Star Wars" had been 1.33 (hypothetically speaking) and his second two 2.35, he would have used Dave's reverse process to make it into a Scope flick for the Special Edition release, much as he tried to uniformitize all three films' soundtracks into modern 5.1 digital. But he's only doing these things with his own films, so that's not a problem.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 09:38 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for Ted Turner, I dont think he is colorizing anymore, thank God.

You have to admit, though, Turner has saved the Pre-'48 Warner films, all the MGM titles, and many RKO features since he got them. Remember how nasty prints of KING KONG and 42ND STREET used to be?

I, too, hate colorization, but the idiot kids now cant stand B/W movies! Believe me when I say that I try to convert the colorized kids.

I have a colorized "Dark Victory" (1939) that looks awful. If I turn down the color, it still looks washed out. My old 16 print looks vastly better, and it was a rental!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-06-2000 10:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hadn't blown the whistle, my response was going to be: "Oh-ho-HO!! He-he, you've
GOT to be kidding!"

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 12:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an 18-year-old I have to defend the people my age who are willing to watch and appreciate black-and-white films, and classics in general. Besides, the last colorized film I saw ("The Philadelphia Story") looked like it was done with about 8 different crayons. The hues were never quite right and had a very artifical appearance.

Martin Hart
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2000 07:14 PM      Profile for Martin Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think FlikFX is wonderful. It's sheer genius. Of course my feelings may be colored by the fact that I wrote the stupid thing and created the ridiculous images. I made the piece as offensive and silly as I could and yet hundreds of people are still sucked in even after seeing Peter O'Toole's nose on fire. I think it's pretty funny but nowhere near as funny as many of the responses I've gotten. To prove that I'm not really critical of Mr. Lean's and Mr. Young's brilliant composition, you may want to check out the "Lawrence of Arabia" gallery on my website. It's located in the widescreen section. Click on the LOA icon in the lobby. http://www.simplecom.net/widefilm

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 10:50 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the site can be accessed at now
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/flikfx/default.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: