Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Matting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Matting
Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 12:18 PM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but flat prints have to be matted by the projectionist, right? Only scope and hard matted prints don't have to be. Right?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-05-2000 01:54 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what you are getting at, but I make sure we use the right lense with the right apeture plate, depending on the format of the film. And adjusting the screen masking and curtains to make sure that there is little to no image drift.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-05-2000 02:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I understand your question, then the answer is yes. Scope prints use the full frame, but flat does not, so the projectionist 'mattes' the flat image.

But I think you have the terminolgy mixed up. The term 'matte' is used for several things, but for this use, is the black frame placed around the image. Flat has a large area (the black area between the frames) matted. Scope does not.

But in both cases, the projector has an aperture plate. That could be thought of as a matte, but it's not called that.

If I understand what you are trying to ask...

A matte is printed on the film and can not be changed by the projectionist. He changes the aperture plate, and that blocks light from areas of each frame you do not want to see.

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just know that I've heard when some flat films were not "matted" properly, that certain parts of the picture that weren't meant to be seen were. Things like boom mikes, etc.

While I'm at it, what exaclty is a douser? And if they keep falling during shows, what can be done about that?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 03:55 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The previous film handlers are correct, of course, but I wonder why the question is being asked. The projectionist really doesn't have an option in this. The vast majority of theatres in the United States are made to show just two formats. One is 'scope with just one size of aperture plate and the other is flat with just one size of aperture plate. If the lens isn't matched to the correct aperture, most audience members will notice a problem (which, I hope, means the projectionist will notice too).

The question of hard matting and what's really on the film (as opposed to what's intended to be shown in the theatre) becomes more relevant when we're talking about transfering a film to video. Now, if you have more questions about that, it might be a good discussion too. How many projectionists have stopped to examine a "flat" film closely enough to see what's on the film but is NOT within the 1.85 area and is, therefor, not intended to be shown to the public? Usually, you'll just see the occasional microphone, but you might also see that the guy in the shower is really wearing shorts, etc. If the projectionist doesn't get the framing set correctly, the audience can see it too. But rest assured that the filmmakers DO frame for 1.85 in the theatre, whether or not the "full frame" is safe to show in the video version. I tend to like flat films which have a "hard matte" so that even a bone-head projectionist won't frame it incorrectly.

I recall that BACK TO THE FUTURE was "full frame" (or, in other words, the image extended both above and below the 1.85 image which the filmmakers wanted the audience to see). In that case, the projector plate masked off the unseen portion. However, all the effects shots which ILM did were hard matted to 1.85 (or something similar. I didn't actually measure the aspect ratio!).

As time goes on, filmmakers are more and more conscious of the video transfer while they're shooting the theatrical version. One of the reasons James Cameron is so fond of Super 35 is that it allows him to have an "epic" 2.35 aspect ratio in theatres but then he has the option of extending the top and/or bottom of that frame for a video release, so that the pan-and-scan version doesn't look so horrible. If you compare the "letterbox" versions of Super 35 films to their pan-and-scan versions, you will often see that the pan-and-scan version actually shows more of the original image! It can make you question which version is the best to watch on video.

Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 04:07 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can a dowser "fall closed"? We have Super Lume-X lamphouses, and ours all close upwards. I guess it could fall _open_, but only if a hurricane ripped through a booth or an elephant bumped into one of the projectors.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 06:33 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that in some 1:85 (flat) films they swicth between matted and not matted, like Greg mentioned during some effects shots?

Any advise on how to frame a not matted flat film? not all prints are printed 'dead center' of the frame?

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2000 08:44 PM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really think Paul's question is innocent and direct enough and I want to take a crack at a complete answer.

First off, the use of an aperature plate to block part of a projected image is called matting. The way this is achieved is explained below

As mentioned by John, scope prints, squeezed horizontally in a 2:1 ratio, are unsqueezed by that same 2:1 ration (okay, 1:2 ration now) to give a normal looking image upon projection. But an aperature plate IS used here as well for a slight cropping of the image, else things like the sound track will be projected as well, particularly the DTS time code track.

Flat prints (which are shot with Spherical lenses, not Panavision lenses, which record the images on the negative squeezed) are normally printed and delivered as full frame images. The projectionists are expected to employ an aperture plate with a 1.85 width-to-height ratio, to block the top and bottom portions of the image, the part which the director didn't expect you to see. If a projector is "framed" wrong, meaning that the image of the film is not correctly centered in the opening of the projector's gate, then you will see part of the image above or below the part the director expected you to see, hence seeing a portion of the "unexpected" part. Also, some prints use 1.66 ratio plates, just to confuse this issue further. Each final projection ratio requires its own lens to give the identical projected image height on the screen, with only the width changing, at least in an ideal situation.

Older classics were filmed flat and the images projected were basically the full image from the camera negative, approx 1.37:1. No projection matting is or was employed except like in the case of Scope, with a minor blocking of the image around the edged.

Hard matted prints are prints where the image on the final film has been modified so that there is no area above or below the area that the director expected you to see. It could have been done in the camera OR during final printing. Disney animated titles are often hard matted in later reissues even though they were originally shot and projected full frame (nominally 1.33:1). To a film collector, such hard matted prints are less desirable. Afterall, some of the originally-seen image is no longer available to be seen.

In my collection, I have "odd reels" of Gone With The Wind that are very different, depending on the year of issue. (Odd Reels are orphan reels that are not presently part of a full set of reels that make up a full feature, typically say 6 reels for a 2 hour movie.) The 1967 domestic print is hard matted. Some of the other reels I have are full frame flat, which is how it was originally printed for final projection, with a camera negative in a 1.37:1 ratio and an expected projection of 1.37:1 ratio (full frame, per www.imdb.com). The 70mm prints were projected 2.20:1, hence slightly cropped. My hard-matted prints were supposed to give the illusion of a wide screen (1.85:1, I think in this case) epic, but all the audience got was a truncated or cropped view of the original movie. Presumably, this was also done so that the projectionist didn't have a chance to project the movie full frame. Why? I just can't fathom a "good" reason here

Well, I've been a bit redundant with respect to earlier postings on this question, and of course this posting is subject to attack, er, correction by others, but that's how you gain an education. -- David

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-06-2000 01:18 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

I am assuming you are referring to the electric dowser (more commonly referred to as a changeover, or the most popular trade name "ZipperŪ")...

If these are improperly adjusted, gravity can cause the blade of the changeover to fall into the closed position, either partially or fully, obviously messing up the picture... Or it can be caused by a malfunctioning automation or a forgotten cue from another theatre being executed by your automation system causing the changeover to close.

The other dowser would be the hand dowser on the lamphouse or console. Depending on the design of the dowser, it can fall closed for many reasons, most of them being things such as a missing or broken spring, linkage or magnet (CFS console hand dowsers have a magnet holding them in the open position).

Aaron

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-06-2000 01:40 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A recent example of booms and stuff seen in the frame....

I was training a guy, and I switched from flat to scope to show him how things should, and should not look. We were just running trailers, and I had on a flat trailer of "The Bachelor." I changed it to scope, and there was a boom mic right above their heads. That's a recent film; maybe someone still has it.

I forget the details now, but there was a serious messup with the film "Going in Style" where lights, boom, all kinds of stuff was visable within the 1.85 (flat) frame. It was so bad, Warners bought everyone running it a new (undercut) aperture plate. Looked crappy on the screen, though. We weren't going to pry the nailed down masking off and reset it for one picture.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 03:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that special effects (anything computer related) are hard-matted because they cost money and there is no room for waste there, especially if the negative has to be digitally scanned, for example. You will only want to scan the portions which will appear in the final frame. Same for modern animated features meant to be seen at 1.85 -- they will be hard-matted since it makes no sense to draw parts of the frame that won't be seen. But for regular camera shooting, it doesn't cost any more to shoot full-frame or hard-matted since the unprojected film portion is being wasted anyway. For example, in the current teaser trailer playing for "Rocky and Bullwinkle", the normally photographed sections of clouds and sky are full-frame but the computer-generated titles which supposedly "zoom out" beyond the projected frame are hard-matted at 1.85, so you can actually see the ghost of the 1.85 frame within the full frame.

So there is a reason for shooting full-frame in Super 35. But is there any reason for shooting full-frame in 1.85 other than that no one bothered to buy or manufacture the correct camera aperture plates? This practice can encourage misframing due to the amount of vertical play, if the lab leaves the release-prints full-frame. And the matteing inconsistencies can be annoying. I remember one feature where one series of full-frame shots was intercut with another series of hard-matted shots, presumably from different cameras with different aperture plates.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 09:02 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very interested toppic just wanted to recap:

The reason they make hard-matted shots is a money issue. Effects and digital shots are cheaper to make, and animated films dont have to be drawn more than to 1:85, as the film is only 1:85 anyway.

But i STILL cant understand why they dont print all 1:85 made films as hard-matted (1:85)

1. It's cheaper (digital/effects shots and animation)
2. Easyer to get the film in frame
3. No microphones etc. will appear

All movies shot for 1:85 SHOULD be hard-matted (1:85) at least in the US as 1:85 is your standard ratio. In europe american movies (shot in 1:85) are of cause projected in 1:85 as they should, but 1:66 is more the standard ratio for european film-makers but thats another story.

Nightmare before christmas is photographed for 1:66 (please correct me if i am wrong) so the filmmakers can use the extra space still avalibel in the frame.

When a filmmaker wants to make a movie in 1:85 then he should make sure that it is also printed hard-matted. The chance that movie will be projected proberly is very high as there is no excuse for not framing a 'matted' movie right. Framing a not-matted flat film CAN be hard (you experts might find that easy but remember i am only a film collector )the picture is not always printed dead center, so how do you make sure it IS deadcenter? do you use the studio logo at the start of the film to correct in frame?

AND yes I CAN frame properly as i learnd it here on film-tech in the thread called 'framing question'

Martin

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 09:30 AM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin: I agree with your statement for those features meant only to be seen in 1.85 (or 1.66 for that matter). I just resent it when the studios decide to reissue an as-originally-released full frame feature as a hard matted 1.85 print. Do they really expect me to believe that the director changed his mind decades after the fact? Hardly!

Of course there is the video release issue: for standard 1.33 videos, they often use the full frame final print, so suddenly the audience is now seeing stuff that wasn't intended to be seen. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than pan-and-scan for scope movies

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 10:37 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1960 IB 35 print of "All In A Nights Work" On the Holmes, which features a fixed aperture plate (1:37) if I dont frame the image high on the screen, I will be seeing mics, lights, and the occasional body above the stage!

I have an awful 1959 16 print of "The Trap." If I dont frame it high, too, the audience gets to see the cut-back roof of a 1957 black Chrysler in every scene shot "in the car"

Just for my own amusement, I run both of these films low in the frame so I can see all the "goodies"

I love film. It's so adjustable.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2000 11:15 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion it is o.k. to transfer a full frame film (1:33) to video IF it is done proberly to fit the TV/video screen.

BTW i do not think Sir David Lean was thinking about how Lawrence of arabia would look like when it was to be released on video im just kidding of cause, but you get the picture todays directors think to much about getting the action in the camera so that it will fit for TV/video releases (James Cameron)

I miss 70mm.......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: