Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The mystery projector

Author Topic: The mystery projector
Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2000 10:23 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post. I am a film handling rookie, so be gentle. Okay, here's the scoop. I just bought a Super Simplex, RCA 1040, 6000 ft. 3D magazines, a tripod pedistool and a Christie H-10 with a 110 single-phase rectifier. I now have to wait until our new house is built before I buy anything else.
Well, a friend of a friend who is a retired projectionist/stage hand came over to orient me to this stuff. He took one look at the Super Simplex and said something was strange. He said it looks to him like part of the internal mechanism is from a later model projector, perhaps an XL. Is this possible?
Question two: The gate on this thing won't lock open because the lens is in the way. I'm using the ancient B&L 4.75" that came on this thing, focusing at about 26 feet. When I slide the lens forward an inch (maybe not quite that far) the gate locks open fine. I intend to use a 50mm for flat and a 2.75" with my scope attachment from 25 feet when the home theater is built. Will these lenses not have to be pulled back so far?
Question three: He couldn't get the Christie to focus. My son (a lighting professional with Varilite Corp.) said it looks to him like the Christie won't align with the Super because of the way it sits in the tripod mount. It sits about a half inch below center. Will building an adaptor for the Christie so that it lines up perfectly with the Super make a big difference?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-03-2000 10:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put a spacer under the lamphouse to align the optical centre
I assume the "tripod base" you refere to is actually on of the old 3 point/5 point bases
Some supper simplexes had the trap doors from E7's fitted in them to give tem vaiable gate tension and the lens would get in the way

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2000 10:40 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Harry! I cant help you with the Simplex but i am sure by tomorrow at least a dozen people will have posted on this subject to help you

These guys on this forum are the VERY best in the field i am sure they will chime in with answers. I my self am a 'NEWBIE' to the hobby.

While your new house is being buildt i highly recommend you reading from page #1 all the posts that this forum offers, its a 'GOLD MINE' in answers to all sorts of questions.

When finished reading your all most a 'technician' well allmost

Good luck with your project!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-03-2000 01:18 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing, but you probably won't have to move the 2.75" (scope) lens forward to get the gate open. But, you might for the 50mm flat. This is not very unusual, and happens even at 'real' theaters (as opposed to 'short-throw' home theaters.)

If your Simplex has the 5" lens mount, you will need the spacer to adapt the smaller dia lens to the large mount. That spacer usually comes with a shroud, which you might have to cut back to use, or even not be able to use it at all.

I would think that it you should try to get the lamp aligined with the aperture. It seems to be a fairly easy thing to do (to somehow bulid up the lamp mounts the 1/2" or so.) Not only will the lamp be a little brighter, but you will get more even illumantion(?).

You sound pretty mechinal-minded, and also have people used to working with that kind of equipment, so getting longer bolts, spacers, washers, and fiddling with it isn't a problem. I think you will be glad you took the time now to make it right.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-03-2000 06:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out on the 50mm...The Super Simplex (and E-7 for that matter) don't take kindly to short focal length lenses. The front lens support is likely to vignette the image...many people used Magnacoms to get the image out of the projector. This has the advantage that if you can lay your hands on a Magnacom, you only need one prime lens for "Flat" and "Scope."

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2000 09:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LaVezzi made some drive gear/shaft conversions as well as gate/trap conversions, too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: