Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Re: Ads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Re: Ads
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 02:23 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Brothers just lifted their restriction on Ads.

Still, When I get a box of Comercials in, I just pretend they were printed wrong, or an usher stole them or something.

The only "Ads" I will run are Pepsi Ads, because regal will Freak if I don't put it on, and I've been putting the Oscar2000 ads and MAYBE a PSA if its respectable but THATS IT! The Customers get enough bullshit commercials on the slide projectors, Theater Radio Network CD's and now Lobby DVD projector screen, they DO NOT need Commercials before the trailers. What goes through their heads when the lights start to dim is "Oh Good, Trailers, then the movie is starting... wait a second, what the f@#$ is this crap?"

so it goes
Tyler

|  IP: Logged

Rob Brooks
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 03:28 PM      Profile for Rob Brooks   Email Rob Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's great that you can get away with not showing the Ads. We have to sign affadavids that they showed. I remember when Ads started and there was just one showed. Every audience would boo when it came on. But now there conditioned to sit through an onslaught of 5 or 6. My theater's Trailer program before even the first Trailer looks like this.
1) 777 film
2) Hollywood.COM
3) Internet Dance (Ad for SoundBlaster Cards)
4) Lee Jeans
5) M n M's
6) Juicy Fruit Gum
7) Coke
I'll bet you by next year this time they'll be a few more. (If were still open, it's UA)

------------------
Rob

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own my own Cinema. I don't show ads. I don't show slides. I may go bankrupt, but I am standing by my principals.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-31-2000 04:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't love those ads but I'll put up with them. As long as there's only ONE of them and they have a MOVIE theme. (CAN'T be seen on TV!)

The Stand-Up Comedy Coca-Cola trailers are okay in my book. (Even if I don't like all the comedians.) My favorite one was the "Shmoo". A close second is the "Shadow Puppets". -- All I do is start the projector early. That gets the ads overwith ASAP.

Slides? -- Well having to take care of the projectors annoys me. The lamps are ALWAYS blowing. I have 17 screens, too! As long as there are some trivia questions or something like that, I don't mind. Most people just ignore them anyway!

Movie Tunes? -- SUCK! SUCK! SUCK! -- DIE! DIE! DIE!

I just thought we should play movie soundtrack discs! -- Theme from Star Wars, etc. They shouldn't try to nail you for copyright violations. You're PROMOTING THEIR MOVIES!!!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 06:43 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ads belong on commercial radio and TV. I don't want to spend money to go a theater and have to put up with a commercial, and no remote control to zap it away!! 'Nuff said.

Brian Francis
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 06:45 PM      Profile for Brian Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ads I run here in Newberg are the SCREENVISION (M+M, LEE JEANS, ANTI-DRUG, WRIGLEYS(to name a VERY few). Right at this moment none are slotted for a "flight" so none are on screen this week. We have a drive-in Http://www.99w.com and they sort of help there at the beginning of intermission although occasionally a person will drive out exclaiming that we are too much like TV which they went there to get away from in the first place-BUT it helps to extend the intermission from going to a black screen-if they stick around the good old FILMACK, etc, comes on. They get them out of their cars and into the snack-bar, I tell you.

At the Cameo I don't have a slide projector yet, it's been hard to recieve current film trailers. Running the films second the lab mounted and loose trailers are always gone so I run the ads and plan to put their quarterly small payments into improving the booth. The last payment for the forth quarter was suprisingly large and since I have been reading this site for awhile, have had some #@$%^&!!! STATIC problems lately, I ordered a KELMAR film cleaner and a bottle of FILMGUARD from A.C.E. to see if it improves this problem, and clean up my second run films. Paid for by SCREENVISION!! It was either a film cleaner or a slide projector- DO YOU THINK I DID THE RIGHT THING???

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2000 06:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody ever had anyone come into their theatre and try to bust you legally for playing movie soundtrack CDs instead of "Movie Tunes"?

We stopped playing Movietunes a long time ago, but now we have our own freakish CD that we must play. Why do they all have DJ's? Why can't they be JUST MUSIC?

AAAAaaaaa!!!!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-31-2000 07:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian - THANK YOU! We need more theatre owners like you!

Doesn't anyone else attempt to choose walk-in music that relates to the film that is being shown?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-31-2000 07:19 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get in legal trouble for playing any music. The damned movie tunes is just too damned annoying so If you want to run something else all you have to do is get a written release from whatever label it happens to be on.

It isnt too hard to get. All you have to do is put it on letterhead and address it to the public relations department of whatever label it is and ask if you can play whatever selection from whatever album it is. They love to get thier stuff played but get mad when they are not asked first.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-31-2000 08:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We gave money to ASCAP (I think it was like $50 a year) and we could play whatever we wanted. They even gave us a sticker to place in the window one year.

I thought that was the way it was done.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 10:19 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my $50 right here! Information please.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-01-2000 12:26 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If no one else has the info I will have it soon. I contacted ascap and am waiting for a call back in the next day or two and I will pass the info along.

------------------

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2000 02:36 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is our cinema's policy to start Advertisements before scheduled start times. Currently we have two minutes of ads so I start everything with ads two minutes early. We also don't dim our lights for advertisements...the first stepdown cue goes at our Coming Attractions tag.

Personally, I don't think it matters if it is ads or trailers, there's simply too much damn stuff there before the feature. Some of my prints have almost 20 minute trailer packs.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-01-2000 02:50 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The previous 19 years here at my theater they would run 20 minutes of ads and coming attractions, so when I stepped in here and just started the movie on time, OH THE HUMANITY. I never heard so much bitching, these people actually want to be able to show up late and not miss the movie.

Well I decided "fine then", and began starting the shows 20 minutes late, but NO COMMERCIALS or previews. OH IT STARTED AGAIN!!! How dare I start the movie late. These people just have no idea what they want.

I even started doing game shows before the shows. Worked really well, gave out some good prizes, until one joker thought it was funny to bait me into an argument and I ejected him out the door, his wife chasing after him and apologizing to me. I got good laughs out of that one, but I have not returned to the act as I just lost my enthusiasm because of these people.

They truly are lost and need us to tell them what they want, what have we done to our great society???

------------------

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-01-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We personally haven't been harassed about playing music but I think they were at the Millcreek-6 (also Cnmk.)

Cinemark now has this policy to play MovieTunes (or whatever) and ONLY MovieTunes! They bought a 25-CD changer and only ever put ONE disc in it!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: