Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using CP-50 at Home ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Using CP-50 at Home ?
Nic Dreier
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2000 02:37 PM      Profile for Nic Dreier   Email Nic Dreier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

first I'd like to say a big HELLO from Europe/Switzerland to all members of this great forum. It's such a big help in solving daily problems in a cinema. I work in a small chain with 3 duplex-houses and 1 single-screen house. All auditoriums are at least equipped with DTS, most also with SR-D and SDDS. One is THX approved. So this is my first post and I hope, you can help me.

I'm interested, if someone has ever tried to use the good old CP-50 at home. I'd like to connect my TV, VCR or DVD Player to the CP-50 so that sound is sent trough the 2:4 Matrix. Unfortunately the Non Sync Input is not beeing processed through these cards like the newer Dolby models. I know that the line levels of DVD Players, TV out, etc. do not match to the Preamp levels of the CP-50. So I tried to fix the levels by using a Soundmixer, but the result was only poor sound quality. I've tested all the cards at the cinema and they seem to work fine, but I don't get that thing to work at home. Is there a possibility to achieve a way, that the Non Sync Input is going to be sent through the hole card-array (A-Reduction, 2:4 Matrix etc.) ???

Well, thanks in advance for your help.

Greetings

Nic from Switzerland

|  IP: Logged

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2000 03:48 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my CP65 setup with a dvd/laserdisc and also a 35mm projector, it sounds much better than the best home-cinema processors you can buy.

My dolby-tech made it work for me, i have a freind who has a CP50 and it works great to.

I do not no how he made it work ( i am not a dolby-tech ) but it is possibel.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2000 11:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You could go into the projector 2 optical inputs, but the sound will be less than ideal. You'll need to upgrade to at least a CP-55 to do this properly unless you're willing to do some soldering and modifications to the mother board.

Nic Dreier
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2000 03:45 AM      Profile for Nic Dreier   Email Nic Dreier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So then, I think I have to upgrade the CP-50 Motherboard with a Pentium III 600 Mhz ;-)

But seriousely, Is it possible to use cards of a CP-55 or CP-45 in the CP-50 ?? I mean can I mix the 200-er with the 100-er series ? I would not expect that such an array is working. Maybe I have to send it to my Dolby Tech. But that will cost me a fortune :-(. Thought there could be a possibility to do it myself.

Thanks and Greetings

Nic

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2000 05:40 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feed your Video equipment into the testpoint marked PREAMP OUT. This is 300 mV sensitivity, and should match with your home gear. Going through the preamp, which within most Dolby processors has never been a work of ingeniousity, will only degrade quality. Why shoul you attenuate by 30 dB, and amplify afterwards with 30 dB? Do not forget to select the Stereo with surround DOLBY OFF format, as home stereo signals not Dolby SA or Dolby SR encoded.
If you want to use a CP 50 for home purpose, be sure, that it was equipped with an SR-A5 Dolby SR adaptor. This normally warrants, that the cards have been updated to the higher dynamic range/headroom versions of later revisions. If the decoder board (CAT 150) is below "CAT 150 D" revision, forget it, they just have poor decoding.
My friend uses one, which had Dolby SR, and this works fine at home with film and video sources.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2000 04:43 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Stefan, but I do not agree.
I use a CP50 with an SRA5 and the unit still has the original Cat.108 pre-amp and the original Cat.150B matrix card.
Used in combination on two Bauer B12 machines with the original soundreader (analog reverse scan)and Cat.164 dolby brackets the sound in A and SR is awesome with perfect channel seperation.
My local Dolby tech who equalised my CP50 said that I can compete with some of the biggest screens in Belgium regarding analog sound and picture quality.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-29-2000 02:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I disagree with the disagree
The 150B should not be used with the SR adaptor It doesn't have the headroom
Let alone the channel seperation
Also it will physically fail faster as the icreased head room is translated into increased heat in the transconductance amps that are used for the gain riding.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2000 08:18 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is correct in stateing that the Cat150B card or below is unsuitable, to play back Dolby SR on this card, You will need to install either a Cat150E of F card, I have seen them for sale on the web for little as $500, a worth while investment!.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2000 01:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also for the adventerous SMART makes a dsp replacement for the 150

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-30-2000 03:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Gordon is correct in stateing that the Cat150B card or below is unsuitable, to play back Dolby SR on this card, You will need to install either a Cat150E of F card, I have seen them for sale on the web for little as $500, a worth while investment!."<<

While I do not dispute that the later revisions of the Cat. 150 (particularly the D,E and F) have superior separation and noise figures, to say that the 150B is "unsuitable" for playback of "Dolby SR" is absurd.

One has NO bearing on the other!! SR adds merely 3dB of level, well within the range of the Cat. 150B. Shoot, I know of premiers of films in some high profile theatres that still have Cat. 150B (simply because they haven't failed yet) and no one has run out complaining (not even from the studios).

Would I recommend the upgrade, you bet and have every time I was given the chance. But that has NOTHING to do with SR...just that the later cards will decode modern prints better than the early ones even if they are only Dolby-A type.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One must remeber that 3db of level is doubling the voltage gain and even Dolby has been very adverse to the use of the 150B with SR for that reason. The transconductance amps usually have a problem with the extra heat the higher current generates.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-30-2000 06:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"One must remeber that 3db of level is doubling the voltage gain and even Dolby has been very adverse to the use of the 150B with SR for that reason. The transconductance amps usually have a problem with the extra heat the higher current generates."<<

Bzzzzzzz....6dB is a doubling of VOLTAGE...3dB is a doubling of POWER.

Dolby always promotes the latest versions of it's equipment as the best way to do something, why wouldn't they? If their alledged concerns were true, there would be massive failures out there, when there are not...furthermore, only an foolish engineer would design something that was so close to the edge of failure (3dB) in low voltage/power situations such as the Cat. 150 which operates at either 300mV or 500mV buss levels.

From what I can tell the card has ample headroom. It operates at much higher levels and the optical track is pretty heavily restricted on its maximum output. There is just 6dB above Dolby level.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2000 06:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if the loaad is constant TCamps are current based and as such represent negligable loading. Also power is what the must disipatate in heat.
There are theatres that still have 110/116 in opeeration and have added SR but the failure rates have gone up as soon as they did

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it works fine for me and since I only have a private home cinema I do not see the need to spend 500 $ on a new Cat. 150 matrix card.
On the other hand, I agree, for a proffesional cinema an upgrade to Cat. 108C / Cat. 150E or F would be in place.

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2000 10:36 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you lads are getting a bit picky. Find a couple of Cat. 280T cards and swap them for the Cat. 22's. That takes care of the SR matter. After all, you are not trying to change formats on the fly. Newer Cat 150's are nicer, and while you're at it, you might find a Cat. 160 for your sub-woofers, but how much can one put into this sort of project.

As for feeding in other sources, one easy (but sloppy) way to do this is via the Cat 110L card. This feeds directly into the Cat 150 and if I remember correctly, at a higher (500mV) level. When you feed into the CAt 108 test jacks, you are going into the Cat 22's which will be active when you are in the Stereo mode which in turn is what you are after so that you can have fun with fake surround stuff etc. For any of this you will have to find a set of schematic diagrams, but Dolby used to be very free with them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: