Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Magnaphonic

Author Topic: Magnaphonic
Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2000 01:07 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here know anything about a sound head with the name "Magnaphonic"? I've got what appears to be 2 penthouses, about the size of a modern Dolby Digital penthouse encased in a glass and metal housing. Any help would be appreciated on worth, usefulness, or the history of these.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-27-2000 03:54 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a pair of 35mm magnetic penthouses. If you ever plan on running any mag or mag-opt art-repro material, you might want to hang on to those, otherwise they would be pretty much useless to you nowadays, maybe someone out there in Film-Tech land might be interested in buying them..

Aaron

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-27-2000 12:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't that the Motiograph penthouse?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-28-2000 02:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The magnaphonic was a product of the MagnaSync Moviola company for playing back 4 track mag prints It was built in the fifties (Westrex, Ampex, Ballantyne, Simplex, RCA, and Motiograph also built there own)
Interestingly that company with panavision built the first conversion kits to convert the simplex XL to s 35/65/70mm projector for UltraPanavision

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2000 05:32 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How popular was 4 track mag sound? I'm a young guy of 19 so I don't know much about the history of equipment, but i'm learning! Are these penthouses worth anything to anyone? There are a lot of collectors on this website. I'd be willing to sell or trade because they're not doing me any good.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2000 05:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4-Track mag was very popular in the fifties. As a matter of fact, it was the standardized soundtrack format for CinemaScope for the first few films, none of which had optical tracks. After about the first 3500 or so installations, smaller exhibitors balked at the expense, and Fox relented, first by offering dual inventory (optical or mag) prints, then using combined mag-optic prints. (The original mag track CinemaScope prints had an AR of 2.55 to 1, by the way. The optical and mag-optical prints had reduced the AR of scope to 2.35 to 1).

Most single-screen first run theatres built through the early 70's probably had 4-track mag, but by the late 60's, studios began cutting way back on the number of mag prints of any given title. By the mid 70's, mag track films probably numbered about a dozen a year, and those dozen titles would only have a small number of 4-track mag prints struck, except for rock films, such as "Tommy," which actually went quite wide in mag. After Dolby introduced it's stereo-optical process, some studios would still release dual-inventory prints with Dolby Stereo Optical and Dolby-encoded 4-Track Mag (which also proves that 4-track mag was better than stereo-optical, since the mag prints went to the better houses.

The last few 4-track mag films released were in late 1983 (Scarface, Yentl, and a re-release of Fantasia) and the last mag release was in January 1984: Against All Odds (Dolby A encoded).

The problem is, unless these prints were really well taken care of, the mag tracks would probably be hard to play these days. It's a pity. 4-Track mag prints played on realy well-maintained equipment could sound excellent. It should be noted that the mag tracks could cut grooves into the sound heads of older style readers, forcing a replacement of every six months or so.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-03-2000 09:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

Thanks for all the good information! I did not know "Against All Odds" was the end of the line for 35 magnetic. That wasn't that long ago, I remember the movie well. I'll have to file that little ditty back in my memory.

The last new mag I ever saw was "Damnation Alley".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: