Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Closed Circuit

Author Topic: Closed Circuit
Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2000 09:56 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed in several sources that Famous Players in Canada is offering monthly live showings of WWF pay-per-views on some of their screens, and allegedly the response has been overwhelming. I think it's a terrific idea, as long as the price is reasonable. You're using one screen a month, on an otherwise slow Sunday night, and I'm sure the concession per cap is huge. Anyone have any idea what kind of set up they're using, and how the logistics are handled? I know this kind of thing isn't in our theatres near future, but I am curious as to how it's done, how ticket sales(and the booking terms)are handled, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2000 10:22 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The above is the only reason I'd put a video projection unit in the booth. I think that such uses are the perfect way to use the DLP technology. Just leave the 35mm alone.

--Chris

I suppose the theater would have to be licensed somehow for the public performance of such stuff.(and give a goodly sum to the PPV people)I'd be curious to hear how that works out.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2000 11:15 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw the topic name "Closed Circuit", I thought this would be another thread about United Artists.

I don't like the idea of sporting events or other tv programming being projected in theatres. I can imagine the lights dimming, and a red curtain majestically opening on the HBO logo, presented in glorious NTSC!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2000 11:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started volunteering at the local Warner theatre I discovered that they used to do "live feeds" from the local TV stations and project them in the theatre. The control panel is still there in the booth and the projector itself is still in the store room. It's a huge barrel-shaped contraption about 3 feet long and 2 feet in diameter. (It's been 'dismantled' beyond repair )

In the storage lockers I found a whole bunch of trailers advertising things like "Indy 500" and "Muhammed Ali". Apperently they used to do closed curcuit pay-per-view events. (Kinda' like Wrestlemania?)

I also found some trailers that said "Technical Difficulties... Please Stand by." Appearrently what they used to do was load up a projector with these strips to use in case the feed went down.

Pretty cool for the 1960's, Huh?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: