Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » United ArtistsTheaters money problems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: United ArtistsTheaters money problems
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2000 02:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Motion Picture Exhibitor's Forum (www.delphi.com) there is a message posted (message # 505.1) stating that UA is filling chapter 11 and is closing theaters. Check it out.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2000 03:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not seem to be able to navigate the Delphi forums. I cannot get to the forum you specify. The whole site looks incredibly sloppy. I hate sites like that (and Yahoo and Go Network, etc) where it is mostly ads and banners. Why not provide a direct link or cut and paste the text? How anybody finds anything on that site is beyond me. And I think I have to become a member just to read it, because it asked me to imput a bunch of stuff like my name, address, etc...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2000 04:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind, I figured it out. The site still sucks ass, though, and that has to be one of the worst forums I've ever seen! Yuck. For those of you who haven't read this yet, click on this link and it should take you to http://www.delphi.com/exhibitor/messages/?msg=505.1&ctx=1

I think I'll take a wait and see attitude with UA. As always they are being very HUSH HUSH. I would very much like to see UA go down, so that way my theatre chain won't be the only one! Actually we just filed for bankruptcy protection, and it sounds as if UA wants to file for a different "chapter" which could possibly close a few theatres down.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-25-2000 07:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of funny (or not so funny) that UA was the subject of a big front-cover article in Boxoffice a few months ago...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-25-2000 10:47 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I copied the message posting (on Delphi) and here it is:

----------------------------

When is UA shutting down?

Rumor has it, UA is $650 million in debt and they are filing chapter 11 and they will not pay any film rent owed or any of their other bills but will continue to operate somehow.

What does this mean to us managers and employees who have managed to hold our dumps together? Will we have a job?

Or will we even get our pay checks? Is it time for us to start looking for a job now? Or is our jobs secure? It seems like they are being real secretive around here and we can't get any answers. Does anyone know more about this? I do know that in one of our theatres they did not tell anyone they were closing until Friday when everyone showed up for work
and they were handed their pay checks and told they no longer had a job. Is this the future of UA?

---------------------------------

I feel a bit sorry for the guy. Probably a hard (but clueless) worker. For a large chain, I never saw a cheaper outfit then UA. I worked for them for about 1 year, and that was it. Even the district managers I met were unpleasent, used-car-salesman-like people. God knows what went on at that, "Projection and Sound Dept." in New York, because nothing ever got fixed at the theater I work at. And we were only a few miles away.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It gets better. There's a new message posted there now (message 505.3).

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-25-2000 02:22 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ask me, I think that all chains should be eliminated and nothing but independendantly owned theaters should exist. You know, quality movie houses. Places devoted to a great show, not to making money for banks and investors who will never walk through the door.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, could you please cut and paste? My link above no longer gets me into the site. I really don't feel like registering simply because of the poor quality of the site. Thanks.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2000 07:32 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave,
I love this statement. But how to survive with an indi theatre, if you do not get films as long as they're new, what to do with distributers that prefer to ship prints to mono theaters, not honoring the guy that invests in 3 digital formats, S-EX, HPS 4k, 70 mm 6tk?
We often find the films running in lousy equipped chains, with dim pictures and ghastly sound.
We too often see new multi sites opening, which have underpowered sound systems, lack of surround power output capability, poorest lenses, and in one case I installed last year Dolby A only. Asking where the SR cards are stored the GM started telling me: "We own all theatres in this town, we drove the competitor into bancruptcy (a beautiful indi 1920's palace style theatre), and we do own all sites within 40 miles. So we do not need anything than Stereo A." (Even though distribution contracts nowadays ask for more... they get first run) I theese words tell everything.
With chains, the movie is just the advertising for soda fountains and popcorn/Nacho/candy/Pizza sales. As long as the main focus is on superflous products "Now greater taste - We serve Pepsi Max", we will not lure people back into nicely operated independent theatres. People tend to think, Plex theatres - bad, private ownersip has no funds, so it must be worse.

This makes my life difficult, and it would be sad, to see the world's first purpose built 70 mm theatre beeing scheduled for demolition, as we have to give up, ...

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2000 08:38 AM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.delphi.com/exhibitor

There's the quic URL. It's actually not a bad forum, and that URL takes you straight to the login.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-26-2000 01:56 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, we here lost one of our great 70mm one screen houses many years ago when one of the walls fell down. Now it is a six screen with crap for sound.

The one single problem with this industry is that it has way too many competitors willing to push out the little guy so they can put on a crap show and not have to worry about it.

The studios need to require standards, not like they do now, but actually verify them and refuse to allow prints to substandard theaters. I know it will never happen, because so few producers are interested in art and good show, but rather just the money money money.

I miss 70mm mag. Damn EPA.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-26-2000 02:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, reposted from the Delphi forum for those who can't get in:

----------------------- start of messages

I can't comment directly on the UA situation, but the tactics followed when a large circuit is in trouble are often like this ( more or less in order)-

1. New construction is cut back or halted.
2. Payroll is tightened at lower levels.
3. Major maintenance is deferred.
4. Bonus programs are eliminated.
5. Suppliers are put on 60-90 day payments. Expensive suppliers are eliminated, and price becomes the overriding factor. A $2
toy broom that falls apart is purchased instead of a better constructed $3 lobby broom that will last twice as long.
6. An executive "goat" is sacrificed or fired. Often the goat is clueless and doesn't have anything to do with the problem at hand.
The error the goat makes is not being a "team" player or being disliked by more than one person in the office. Firing them sets
up a tension in upper management and the office (except for those executives that hired in with "golden parachutes.")
7. District supervision is eliminated.
8. Higher paid managers are forced out, unless they have "connections."
9. Offers of purchase are tendered by other circuits.
10. Deadwood theatres are sold (if possible), or closed, or run on minimal schedule to fulfill the lease requirements. Remote
theatres are sold to competitors.
11. Corporate office staff and a few executives are let go or find work elsewhere. Sometimes this is the first time the person
responsible for the financial problems is ever affected directly.
12. The circuit is taken over by another or placed in receivership. If the latter is the case, then:
13. Unprofitable theatres are stripped and closed. Leases are broken.
14. Marginally profitable theatres may or may not close. A letter threatening the landlord with default, and demanding rent relief sometimes gets a lower rent.
15. One or more highly profitable theatres may be sold to infuse cash. (This can occur at any time, even before step 1.)
16. Owners and chief executives are forced out. Parachutes fail as the company can't meet the obligations within those agreements and the courts tear them apart. The circuit is broken up or rebuilt with fresh blood.

You should ask yourself-
Am I overpaid? If so, unless you plan on marrying the boss's daughter, look for work.
Am I underpaid? Ditto. Your efforts will not be appreciated and you are wasting time.
Is my theatre profitable? If highly profitable, look for work. A purchasing company will want one of their own managers
running it. At best, you'll be moved to a slower location to "prove" yourself.
Is the theatre unprofitable? Bail out. Again, you are wasting your time.

If your theatre makes a little money and you are satisfied with the wages but not happy, you probably won't be touched. You are
seen by executives as a fixture. Replacing fixtures costs money. The same goes for hourly employees, although less so.

You might think this is a brutal assessment, but when big money is on the line, a lot of little people get squashed or pounded into tight holes. If they don't like it, they are replaced with someone more desperate, less caring, or less competant.

If you look for work with other circuits, do yourself a favor and learn all you can about them. Choose the wrong circuit and you could be tending a losing theatre for years. Choose the right one and you could be fast tracked, depending on your abilities.

I'm sure I've missed some things, and may have some steps out of order, but that is the basics of a failing circuit situation.

-----------------------

n san jose cailf . ua shut down its downtown theater with out tell any one they where carry out all the equpment. people where
stiil try to buy ticket to the shows and had bought tickets eary that day

-----------------------

I think they have finally closed all of their drive-ins. Maybe that is why they are broke!! Of course I know they have some
drive-in competitors that are giving them a fit. HA HA

-----------------------

you wrote, "finally closed all of their drive-ins." Curious, which did they have and where were they? Larry

-----------------------

I believe their last was the Westbury in New York. A few years ago they had several.

----------------------- end of messages

I didn't think the Delphi forums were too bad. The ads aren't right in your face, and they seen fairly easy to navigate.

Although, Film-Tech is better 'cause there are no ads at all!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-26-2000 06:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am obviously spoiled (and biased) by the Film-Tech forums. But from the looks of it there isn't too much activity on the Motion Pictures Exhibitors Forum. I just don't like how I can't "lurk" as easilly as people can here. But I don't think I should consider it a big loss because all of the important people post here on Film-Tech anyway.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2000 01:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This makes my life difficult, and it would be sad, to see the world's first purpose built 70 mm theatre beeing scheduled for demolition, as we have to give up, ...

What theater is this?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2000 11:13 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for UA, their techs rarely showed up. Probably not the techs fault, but it was still a problem for us. I mean, if a pad roller cracked, or a pad roller spring broke, or things like that, there's just no way anyone would come out. It had to be a 'dark screen,' and even then you might wait 2-3 days.

Anyway, I started fixing some things myself. If I could glue a broken thing back together, or replace a stripped screw, I'd do it. I sort of figured: that's what a real projectionist does, and is why the job is worth way more then $6-$7 an hour.

After a while, I get a memo that tells me to stop repairing the equipment. Projectionists are only to thread and operate. At first I was slightly insulted, but then I realized that; It's nothing personal that's all UA expected from projectionists. They probably had a few bad experiences, and just came out with a 'blanket' policy.

No wonder they are in trouble; their own internal standards are low.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: